90s POTY

OoooMarkWright

Has anyone seen the BBC Derby Sport votes for the best players of the last 50 years? It goes through the player of the year in each decade.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60757198.amp

Looking at the 90s choices - it’s agreed these were exciting times. Yet looking at the the POTY awards you wouldn’t think it. How did Stimac, Wanchope, Sturrridge, Asanovic etc miss out? One of our better time periods and Derby fans choose Powell, Laursen and Dean Yates as our best players. Don’t get me wrong, they were good players, but looking back, it’s a bit beige considering the football we played in this period. Why is this? 

7 minutes ago, enachops said:

Has anyone seen the BBC Derby Sport votes for the best players of the last 50 years? It goes through the player of the year in each decade.

Looking at the 90s choices - it’s agreed these were exciting times. Yet looking at the the POTY awards you wouldn’t think it. How did Stimac, Wanchope, Sturrridge, Asanovic etc miss out? One of our better time periods and Derby fans choose Powell, Laursen and Dean Yates as our best players. Don’t get me wrong, they were good players, but looking back, it’s a bit beige considering the football we played in this period. Why is this? 

Asanovic is a miss.  Van der lann, Stimac and Sturridge in the promotion season as well.  Yates must have had a very good year.  

8 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Why was he even 5th? am I missing something?

Had a great season when he helped s finish 5th, also think he did well in WC qualifying, although the 0-0 in Poland that got us to Italy when he was immense was after the cut off point for votes.

He was very good that season to be fair to the bloke.

6 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

Had a great season when he helped s finish 5th, also think he did well in WC qualifying, although the 0-0 in Poland that got us to Italy when he was immense was after the cut off point for votes.

He was very good that season to be fair to the bloke.

The WC semi and the ricochet off Parker was an embarrassment though. Even I can walk backwards quicker than that.

Shilton was good but overrated in my opinion. Even at his peak playing for that team down the road, he made some howlers - who could forget how he dealt with crosses in the 4-1. Imagine Roos doing that.

Nah. Give me Poom or Boulton.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Asanovic is a miss.  Van der lann, Stimac and Sturridge in the promotion season as well.  Yates must have had a very good year.  

Yates was a good centre half, had lots of injuries that he overcame. He was no where near the level Stimac was though. Stimac was a cult hero that season, I can’t believe him or Sturridge didn’t win it. 

14 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

The WC semi and the ricochet off Parker was an embarrassment though. Even I can walk backwards quicker than that.

Shilton was good but overrated in my opinion. Even at his peak playing for that team down the road, he made some howlers - who could forget how he dealt with crosses in the 4-1. Imagine Roos doing that.

Nah. Give me Poom or Boulton.

I agree. Poom’s the best keeper I’ve seen for Derby, class! 
Shilton was a great and still had some great games for Derby but was past his best. It made me laugh watching him take goal kicks, it was like an U10s game, he struggled to kick it further than about 40 yards, regularly failing to make the centre circle! 

12 hours ago, enachops said:

To be fair, poty tends to go to the player that’s tried the hardest and put a shift in consistently, not necessarily the most glamorous or obvious players. So it’s not that surprising. 

49 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

To be fair, poty tends to go to the player that’s tried the hardest and put a shift in consistently, not necessarily the most glamorous or obvious players. So it’s not that surprising. 

I always thought it went to the best player, weird. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

2 hours ago, enachops said:

I always thought it went to the best player, weird. 

I think the precedent was set with Peter Daniel who won it after deputising for McFarland for the majority of the season even though Colin Todd won the PFA player of the year.

7 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I think the precedent was set with Peter Daniel who won it after deputising for McFarland for the majority of the season even though Colin Todd won the PFA player of the year.

Good point. That would explain the uninspiring list of players at times (without wishing to sound harsh). 

13 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Still love the fact that in 1989 whilst not winning our POTY Shilts finished 5th in the Ballon d'Or

shilts.png

12 hours ago, enachops said:

Shilton had a blinder for England vs Sweden/Poland to help us qualify for Italia 90. Not a patch on Mark Wright though!

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

He was the highest ranked player in Europe outside of Milan.

But Shilton didn't even make the top 3 in the IFFHS Worlds Best GK awards. Preud'homme was 2nd but was 10th in the Ballon d'Or, and Zenga was 1st but got 0 points in the Ballon d'Or

Who was voting for Shilton? ?

3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I don't remember there being a best player that season - just a least worst.......

I’m not even sure there was a least worst. They were all equally crap.

To be fair, when it’s between us and Andy Griffin, I think just on playing ability the fans would actually win that one. 

Makes me wonder who won it in the season we came down after winning the two titles. There must’ve been some dross then. 

Edited by TigerTedd