90s POTY

OoooMarkWright

19 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

To be fair, poty tends to go to the player that’s tried the hardest and put a shift in consistently, not necessarily the most glamorous or obvious players. So it’s not that surprising. 

Agreed, Peter Daniel was great stepping in for Roy Mac, but no way was he better than Toddy.

And fwiw and imho, Peter Shilton was a class above Colin Boulton and a fair bit better than Mart Poom.

Both the latter two were good keepers.

Shilton had 125 caps for England, CB 0.

That many managers over that length of time aren't wrong.

And if not for Clemence and the stupid swapping each game, Shilts would have been up around 175.

21 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Peter Shilton was a class above Colin Boulton and a fair bit better than Mart Poom

over a career maybe, but not in a Derby shirt. In my conscious years as a football fan, Poom was far and away the best Goalkeeper to play for Derby. He's not far off being the best player Derby have had during my life time.

Shilton is a legend, but his better and best years were behind him by the time he came to Derby. Bizarre the England didn't have decent keepers to challenge him. Gary Bailey's injuries ruined him. Woods played in a pub league so struggled against decent opposition. Seaman wasn't yet at his peak, and the only other noted English keepers around that time were Beasant, Pressman, Lukic, Spink and Sealey

Edited by Mostyn6
typo

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

over a career maybe, but not in a Derby shirt. In my conscious years as a football fan, Poom was far and away the best Goalkeeper to play for Derby. He's not far off being the best player Derby have had during my life time.

Shilton is a legend, but his better and best years were behind him by the time he came to Derby. Bizarre the England didn't have decent keepers to challenge him. Gary Bailey's injuries ruined him. Woods played in a pub league so struggled against decent opposition. Seaman wasn't yet at his peak, and the only other noted English keepers around that time were Beasant, Pressman, Lukic, Spink and Sealey

Name me a great keeper who was beating out other great keepers for England.

He was number 1 for over two decades. 

I'm not saying his best days weren't behind him, but he was still exceptional.

I didn't go admittedly, but I remember Graham Richards saying his performance away at Newcastle was the greatest goalkeeping perofmance he had ever seen.

And no way was Graham prone to hyperbole!

5 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Means nothing.

Kevin Hector 2 sub appearances.

Charlie George, 1 cap and hauled off.

Not a good system to judge.

I think playing for a national team like England a record amount of times and over a 20 year period says something personally.

But hey, that's just me.

Charlie was the architect of his own downfall, his talent was never in question. Kevin, who I loved, was borderline international calibre. He probably should have had a few more cpas and would have done in this day and age with the way they rotate players. But it was more scandalous to Derby fans than football fans.

I don't remember CB ever seriously being in the conversation to usurp Banks, Shilton or Clemence tbh. In fact, I'm pretty sure Bonetti was much more highly regarded by most fans not supporting the Rams.

I bet if you asked 100 pros from the 70s to name the best keeper of that period, maybe 1 would mention Colin Boulton.

And that would be Colin Boulton.

Him, Roy Mac, and Ronnie Webster were friends with my old man, so I love him, and would love to agree because he was a very good keeper, but Shilts, even by the time he came to Derby, was still better.

Of course, it's all just opinions anyway.

Shilton at his peak was clearly the best goalkeeper in the country.

But Boulton was better for Derby. He won the league twice fer chrisekes.

Shilton was well passed his peak years when he came to Derby. But even at his peak, and even though I regard him as the best English keeper I've seen, I'd say he was still overrated (the best but not by the margin some, including himself, would say).

His saves were fashioned for the cameras. He wasn't great on crosses (not just the 4-1). And I don't think he'd've won so many caps had there been more competition in the latter years of his career.

Edited by IslandExile

16 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Shilton at his peak was clearly the best goalkeeper in the country.

But Boulton was better for Derby. He won the league twice fer chrisekes.

Shilton was well passed his peak years when he came to Derby. But even at his peak, and even though I regard him as the best English keeper I've seen, I'd say he was still overrated (the best but not by the margin some, including himself, would say).

His saves were fashioned for the cameras. He wasn't great on crosses (not just the 4-1). And I don't think he'd've won so many caps had there been more competition in the latter years of his career.

I am a bit of an ignoramous when it comes to international football. Are Fer Chrisekes in the Greek League?

Hate the line up in the 80's and 90's as it causes a real dilemma for me . 

Have to vote for Ted Mcminn 

But Mark Wright was and still is the finest ever defender to play for derby county and that includes stimac and Mcfarland . Wright gets to appear in both decades so i have to choose wright against bobby as Mcminn was deffo a better player than bobby ................god it hurts just saying that . 

But in voting for Wright i have to not vote for Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Bobby bobby , whilst not being the best player he deffo had everything Derby fans like about a striker .............bobby is much loved and a true legend . 

P.s If Will Hughes gets player of the decade for 95% sideways and backward passing  and competition isnt strong though you lot deserve the northern premier league !! . 

Edited by NottsRammy

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Hate the line up in the 80's and 90's as it causes a real dilemma for me . 

Have to vote for Ted Mcminn 

But Mark Wright was and still is the finest ever defender to play for derby county and that includes stimac and Mcfarland . Wright gets to appear in both decades so i have to choose wright against bobby as Mcminn was deffo a better player than bobby ................god it hurts just saying that . 

But in voting for Wright i have to not vote for Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Bobby bobby , whilst not being the best player he deffo had everything Derby fans like about a striker .............bobby is much loved and a true legend . 

P.s If Will Hughes gets player of the decade for 95% sideways and backward passing  and competition isnt strong though you lot deserve the northern premier league !! . 

Great player but not so good after his run out at the 90 world cup.  He was after a move that year and had agreed to go to Liverpool as early as October.  My cousin was nanny to his kids and they asked her to move with them.