Forum Profanity Filter Update

Day

With the latest forum update there has been a change to the profanity filter.

Where naughty words would previously automatically change to something else, like Bamford for example, now the post will simply be blocked from posting to the forum until you have removed the profanity.

My recommendation would be to simply use s*** for example, which is censored enough to keep inline with our terms of use, which are designed to allow this forum to be viewed by all age groups and remain advertiser friendly.

The problem with self censoring is knowing how many *’s to use!

Will we be made aware the post is suspended, in order to edit in good time?

I guess if I try s**t, I’m about to find out…

Edit:

well that seems to have got through. 
I guess we’ll have to wait to see what happens if it doesn’t pass, and requires (further) censoring. 

?

Edited by Mucker1884

50 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

How about we all try different adjectives? ?

That's all well and good, but one man's profanity is another man's "acceptable in today's society, even for family viewing"!

Didn't "crap" get changed to "carp" at one point?  I doubt there are many eleven year olds out there that will be left traumatised by the use of the word "crap".  ?‍♂️

I appreciate where @David is coming from, and fully agree with the need to show some decorum and standards.  I've even started typing the words "duck" and "poo" directly!  

If we know, at the time of going to press, that our posts haven't passed, and are "on hold, awaiting edit", then that's absolutely brill.  Absolutely clear.  Go back and edit.  Not a problem.
But if it just disappears, and we don't even realise our post hasn't been accepted, then confusion will reign.

I'm sure all will work well, and it probably looks like I'm trying to make a mountain out of a molehill... which is most definitely not my intention... but I'm just trying to envisage how it will work.

Self censorship is all well and good, but we all have different limits.  Every "self" is different, the world over.
@David states that 3 x asterisks are sufficient (given his example), but I've already proved that 2 will suffice (aka "Beat the system"!)
I guess we all have to jiggle things around until we know where the bar is set, and what the limits are?

?

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I still miss the sausage filter. 

it was calming when you saw your ragepost changed to “stop talking bullsausage, you sausage!”

I recall "fishcake" too.

Was that on here or "Elsewhere"?   ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wouldn’t know if it was elsewhere you forum-whore. 

edit- may have been on COYR. 

"Forum-whore"!  ?  Charming!  ?

Not been on there for a good few years now.  I think it was from there though, thinking about it!  ??

12 hours ago, David said:

With the latest forum update there has been a change to the profanity filter.

Where naughty words would previously automatically change to something else, like Bamford for example, now the post will simply be blocked from posting to the forum until you have removed the profanity.

My recommendation would be to simply use s*** for example, which is censored enough to keep inline with our terms of use, which are designed to allow this forum to be viewed by all age groups and remain advertiser friendly.

I actually find large sea going vessels highly offensive. 

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think that was on your Swingers forum. We call it unclean genitalia down here in the south but we are more gentrified. 

I'll have you know there is most certainly no unclean genitalia at my swingers clu...

oh... erm... Just leave it, Mucker!  

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Does this mean that Bamford will go back to just being Bamford and no longer being a Bamford, when someone actually meant Bamford but it got changed to Bamford, even when talking about Bamford?

OK, got it!

No it's getting renamed to a Gibson