Suggestions to Save Derby County

Curtains

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't think the velodrome brings the same levels of polarised opinions. I bet most people think, Meh. 

Football though, makes some people think about overpaid prima donna's, about too much exposure on TV, about hooliganism in the 80s, about tribalism. And there's lots of people who just think it's a waste of money. 

I don't see a council risking peeing off all the people who don't like football,that's all. 

I think the council would have majority support from residents in the city. Hooliganism in the 80s shouldn’t be a factor in this. The council should absolutely explore the option of acquiring the stadium from MM. The loss of DcFC to the city would be disastrous financially, culturally, emotionally. I would argue the council spending money to acquire PP with the obvious economic benefits in future years would be ALOT more popular in Derby than the Arena/Velodrome construction.

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't think the velodrome brings the same levels of polarised opinions. I bet most people think, Meh. 

Football though, makes some people think about overpaid prima donna's, about too much exposure on TV, about hooliganism in the 80s, about tribalism. And there's lots of people who just think it's a waste of money. 

I don't see a council risking peeing off all the people who don't like football,that's all. 

Derbys a football city, if someone doesn't like football they'll have 10 relatives and friends who go to the games.  They'll be chuffed that for once the moneys being used for something other than poo and it may actually make a return after a few years.   See my earlier post. No opposition will complain as it's likely to make them far more unpopular in Derby than popular.

Involve not just Derby City Council - spread the net to include Derbyshire COUNTY Council,Derbyshire Dales District Council and perhaps Amber Valley DC.

Recover the cost from the driving / speeding fines - plenty of scope for this on the A6, and not all residents would be affected and many others would be appreciative.!

5 hours ago, Curtains said:

Some fans  saying they don’t want the City Council to help with the Stadium .

I would love to know what these fans would suggest then as an alternative if MM won’t budge on Stadium price and bidders won’t increase bids to accommodate this .

Only reasonable alternatives allowed not ifs buts and maybes 

There are various possible scenarios that solve the funding shortfall. Problem is, there’s not now time to put any of them in place.

This will get solved by MM realising that in order to avoid liquidation he needs to put his hand into his pocket again.  Exactly the same as with the Gibbo issue. He needs to get on with it 

2 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I think you’re overstating any feeling against. The benefit to the economy is obvious. I doubt many fans of other teams will be alienated as it’s obviously beneficial to the city to safeguard Derby County and it’s stadium. 

Derby City Council could hold a referendum on the question. Always a good way of unifying the electorate ?

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think that saving Derby County is very easy.

We just need to revert back to our proper colours a white and navy blue.

Surely it's obvious to everybody that Maxwell black is cursed. 

In order to fight back, we must ditch the black. We need to renew and go back to to blue.

image.png.1c6514927e816b17f9b45e7034240809.png

Finding a player like Colin Todd might be a better solution.

This ... is what Wikipedia tells us, is it wrong? 

“Derby County Colours

Derby County's original colours (right) were amber, chocolate and blue, though by the 1890s the club had adopted its now traditional colours of black and white, which are still in use today. In the 1970s and 1980s, colours for home matches were white shirts with small blue or red touches (on the club badge or shirt makers insignia), blue shorts and socks that were blue, red, white or a combination of the three.[73] The colours of away kits have varied widely, and although they are usually yellow/gold or blue, the colour for the away kit for the 2008–09 season was fluorescent green.[74] The club also introduced a surprise third kit in August 2008. Similar in design to the club's away kit of the 1970s, with blue and white stripes and reminiscent of the Argentina national team strip, the style was re-introduced following feedback from fans who said it was one of their favourite kits from the club's past.[75]

16 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think that saving Derby County is very easy.

We just need to revert back to our proper colours a white and navy blue.

Surely it's obvious to everybody that Maxwell black is cursed. 

In order to fight back, we must ditch the black. We need to renew and go back to to blue.

image.png.1c6514927e816b17f9b45e7034240809.png

Finally!!!

A sensible, well thought out, mightily considered and well argued post.

Thank you. ?

14 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Well for a start, you should be using @loweman2's book for any reference to historic Derby County kits.

Secondly - if you know anything about the history of the club, you will know what colours they played in during their most successful period - ever.

Yes I have quite a vivid memory of that period (though I can barely remember who scored yesterday afternoon). 
My point was simply that for @Cornwall ramto attribute the black shorts to Maxwell makes no sense because they were adopted by the club 50 years before Maxwell was born. That’s all. 

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes I have quite a vivid memory of that period (though I can barely remember who scored yesterday afternoon). 
My point was simply that for @Cornwall ramto attribute the black shorts to Maxwell makes no sense because they were adopted by the club 50 years before Maxwell was born. That’s all. 

That's just silly. 50 years before Maxwell was born every team played in black and white, duh! Haven't you seen the photos?

Sir Brian decided to leave the monochrome era and brought colour to all our lives. Maxwell decided that Derby County needed shorts to match his soul and Karma has been battering us ever since.

8 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Also...that's not me, there's an imposter!!!! 

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

That's just silly. 50 years before Maxwell was born every team played in black and white, duh! Haven't you seen the photos?

Sir Brian decided to leave the monochrome era and brought colour to all our lives. Maxwell decided that Derby County needed shorts to match his soul and Karma has been battering us ever since.

Don’t know quite what you’re saying. If you’re saying the club didn’t adopt black and white way back in the ? 1890s, I think you’re wrong. 
But as you suggest, it’s about romance not facts. My archetypal image of a Derby footballer is david mackay, in black and white. I don’t know when Cloughie changed the kit to blue but I’ll swear Mackay wore black shorts with a drawstring and knobbly knees .