World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

On 08/12/2022 at 13:57, Bris Vegas said:

We’re at the crunch end of the tournament now. Morocco and Croatia are underdogs, but the other six are genuine challengers.

I think the semi-finals will be Holland vs Brazil and England vs Portugal.

If England don’t win it, then I’d want Messi to. 

Anyone but Portugal.

I hope your predictions for the other 2 quarter finals are better than your first two!

18 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Wasted his career really. Left Barca to score loads of goals vs weak French league teams, then never getting too far in Champs League or World Cup.

The Spanish league isnt exactly competitive either though. Half the league is a bunch of farmers. He left Barca cos he didnt want to play second fiddle anymore. Both leagues allow him to score dozens of goals against crap teams

18 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I hope your predictions for the other 2 quarter finals are better than your first two!

The Spanish league isnt exactly competitive either though. Half the league is a bunch of farmers. He left Barca cos he didnt want to play second fiddle anymore. Both leagues allow him to score dozens of goals against crap teams

The Spanish league was better than the Premier League for a good seven or eight years between 2008-2016. It was only when Pep, Klopp and Conte moved over to the PL that it took over.

Spanish teams regularly outperformed their English counterparts in Europe (Not just in the CL but Europa League too) while the points gained strongly suggested it was more competitive. 

To the point though, it was such a bizarre decision from Neymar. He went to PSG for money, individual fame, his own brand and the off chance of helping them win their first CL which would help his case of winning the Ballon d’Or.

But in a team sport, surely team trophies should surpass all of that. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

The Spanish league was better than the Premier League for a good seven or eight years between 2008-2016. It was only when Pep, Klopp and Conte moved over to the PL that it took over.

Spanish teams regularly outperformed their English counterparts in Europe (Not just in the CL but Europa League too) while the points gained strongly suggested it was more competitive. 

Nah. Its been two teams in Spain for the past 20 years with one or two others occassionally taking part as well. The rest of the league has been abysmal for decades. 

And being competitive in Europe doesn't mean your league is competitive. 

No one can say they took the easy route. In a group with Belgium and Croatia (2nd and 3rd at the last World Cup), Spain, then Portugal.

Theyve more than earned their place in the semi final.

Shame we’ll be smashing them in the semi final.

But if we don’t, I would love to see Morocco in the final, so if we did end up losing to them, that would take the sting out of it a bit.

I’d much rather lose to Morocco than Portugal, again. Just sad we didn’t get the chance to make Ronaldo cry. But I can live with that.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Paredes lucky not to see red. Cruyff would be spinning in his grave after that - and they did the same in the 2010 final. 
Now reading Argentina are favourites to win the final. Don’t understand that with England and France still there and with Modric reminding us what a great player he is

Argentina only have Croatia between them and the final. France and England have to win this QF tie first and then beat Morocco.

Argentina are rightfully the current favourites. I'd expect the winner of England vs France to instantly become the new favourites. 

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Nah. Its been two teams in Spain for the past 20 years with one or two others occassionally taking part as well. The rest of the league has been abysmal for decades. 

And being competitive in Europe doesn't mean your league is competitive. 

But the PL is the best league in the world now with only two teams winning it. You can’t have it both ways. Besides you said it wasn’t competitive because half the league are farmers (suggesting poor quality).

The rest of the Spanish league has fared better in Europe. How is that not a benchmark of the quality of teams?

There is a great myth that the PL was the most hardworking and difficult league. This was debunked when stats proved La Liga teams ran more on average, sprinted more on average and tackles more on average.

Dont get me wrong. The PL is better now.

But between 2008-2016 ish La Liga was the superior league.

Edited by Bris Vegas

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

3 out of 3 wrong so far ?