World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

28 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

My apologies if I upset you but I get so fed up with the view that modern football is ground breaking.

In my opinion modern football has cast a spell over fans and the more we pay players the less we expect of them. Cheating is accepted as part of the game whether that is 'simulation', shirt pulling, wrestling at corners, arguing with the referee, or just plain old gaining 10 or 15 yards with a throw in. Winning is demanded whatever the cost and this issue is just another small example of fans accepting excuses from the game to justify poor attitude and behavior from the people that take the most out of the game.

I am happy at this small win over the players, when bending a rule has actually come back to kick them in the boll*cks. I think that we should all rejoice but I guess it's each to their own

I assume you watched Franny Lee “win” a number of penalties for us.

7 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

My apologies if I upset you but I get so fed up with the view that modern football is ground breaking.

In my opinion modern football has cast a spell over fans and the more we pay players the less we expect of them. Cheating is accepted as part of the game whether that is 'simulation', shirt pulling, wrestling at corners, arguing with the referee, or just plain old gaining 10 or 15 yards with a throw in. Winning is demanded whatever the cost and this issue is just another small example of fans accepting excuses from the game to justify poor attitude and behavior from the people that take the most out of the game.

I am happy at this small win over the players, when bending a rule has actually come back to kick them in the boll*cks. I think that we should all rejoice but I guess it's each to their own

They havent bent the rules. The circumference of the ball is bent. 

I never said modern football is better. I said football has changed. 

10 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

???

The ball only curls because of the technique they use to kick it. It's a choice not a necessity.

If you think that players weren't taking outswinging and inswinging corners 50 years ago then you need to educate yourself and watch the Championship winning Derby County teams from the seventies as a starting point.

FA Cup replay Derby County 0 Plymouth Argyle 1...interesting, very interesting ?

Reading this thread about scoring direct from a corner reminded me of the first time I saw a Rams match televised. It was a FA cup first round game against Bradford City in 1956, I remembered it particularly because Tommy Powell scored direct from a corner. So I found it on you tube, and it was just as I remembered it. One camera at pitch level, you had a job to see the ball never mind if it was over the line or not. But watching it this morning I found it gave me a lovely warm nostalgic feeling for a time as a 13 year old Rams fan. 

1 hour ago, Geriatram said:

Reading this thread about scoring direct from a corner reminded me of the first time I saw a Rams match televised. It was a FA cup first round game against Bradford City in 1956, I remembered it particularly because Tommy Powell scored direct from a corner. So I found it on you tube, and it was just as I remembered it. One camera at pitch level, you had a job to see the ball never mind if it was over the line or not. But watching it this morning I found it gave me a lovely warm nostalgic feeling for a time as a 13 year old Rams fan. 

Looked it up and here we are, I have forensically enhanced the video with a 78p magnifying glass I bought from ebay, The ball was outside the quadrant, I have now sent this to the EFLs "levelling up history department" who will no doubt penalise us with a 3 point deduction

13 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Physics? ?

Alan Hinton didn't have to try and gain half a balls width when taking a corner. Didn't physics exist in the seventies?

maybe modern players should practice missing the first man instead of practicing balancing a ball on the wrong side of a line just so that they can feel like they're getting away with something

Hinton was great, but for curling the ball I think Nigel Callaghan may have been even better.

And in fairness to @sage physics wasn't invented until 1987.  

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Looked it up and here we are, I have forensically enhanced the video with a 78p magnifying glass I bought from ebay, The ball was outside the quadrant, I have now sent this to the EFLs "levelling up history department" who will no doubt penalise us with a 3 point deduction

That shoulder charge at 24 seconds would have resulted in the Bradford player feigning death and the Derby player being sent off now.

Does anybody know how Vicki Sparks got a job?

I have zero problem with female commentators, but I was listening to a game in the car on 5Live a few days ago and she literally missed 3 consecutive goals because she was waffling.

I *think* it was Clinton Morison who was with her and on one occasion it was him who said 'they've scored again'. 

Then last night or the night before I was listening when John Murray dived back in when they were getting a report from another game to catch a goal being scored.

I'm all for having women commentate, but not if they'r incompetent and just making the numbers up.

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I have zero problem with female commentators, but I was listening to a game in the car on 5Live a few days ago and she literally missed 3 consecutive goals because she was waffling.

I *think* it was Clinton Morison who was with her and on one occasion it was him who said 'they've scored again'. 

Then last night or the night before I was listening when John Murray dived back in when they were getting a report from another game to catch a goal being scored.

I'm all for having women commentate, but not if they'r incompetent and just making the numbers up.

She isn’t known as ‘sticky’ for no good reason ?

23 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Bring back Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

30 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Is this the commentator that David Moyes said next time he'd slap her if she asks such a question...he thought he was off mike ?‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I so wanted to click on a positive emoji thingy for this.  A thumbs up.  A like.  Even a laughing face for the wit that is clearly evident within your text.

... then your glaringly stupid act of sending a video of an FA Cup tie to the unrelated EFL became apparent, and I just shrugged, shook my head, and walked away.

Dear oh dear!  ?

30 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've been disappointed with many of the radio commentators this World Cup. Folks we know and love like Coles and Bradley would have done a much better job.

The pre-and post-match stuff on the radio has been brilliant however. Since they don't have video packages to fall back on we've had some great in-depth analysis of all the teams from local journalists with lots of detail and background. Been some really good stuff there.  The difference being they are speaking to local professional journalists, not an ex-pro footballer with an extremely limited vocabulary and only a passing knowledge.

Would recommend tuning in to 5Live for match build-up.  Much better than any TV channel.

13 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I so wanted to click on a positive emoji thingy for this.  A thumbs up.  A like.  Even a laughing face for the wit that is clearly evident within your text.

... then your glaringly stupid act of sending a video of an FA Cup tie to the unrelated EFL became apparent, and I just shrugged, shook my head, and walked away.

Dear oh dear!  ?

In 1889 the Football league introduced the Football alliance to incorporate more clubs, The FA who were next door in the same building asked if they could become a one party united front, The Football League agreed, It wasn't until the 1957-58 season that all concerned realised that it was never rubber stamped...so in 1956 the EFL(not founded as it was the Football League)hold all the records and statistics...so that is the only info I could send it too...phew?

https://gameofthepeople.com/2022/02/11/the-football-alliance-the-forgotten-league-from-the-victorian-age/

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Someone said of the all-female match-officiating team that there won't be much back-chat. There certainly won't, because the players won't be able to get a word in edgeways! 

Ooops. Here comes Angie!