World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

17 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s like the conspiracy theory show now. And it’s really not that big of a conspiracy. From the long shot you can see the ball through the guys legs as he hits it, clearly over the line.

Fifa is corrupt, but I don’t see them rigging games and hoping they can get away with it. 

Really poor effort from ITV there. Should have moved on quicker. Boring TV.

Live by the sword and die by the sword.

For a few years now, players have been pushing the overhanging ball to the limit when taking a corner even though there is almost no gain to be made by doing so. 

I therefore, have no sympathy for any players, or teams that suffer a perceived injustice due officials using the same rules.

Unlucky Germany, have a nice flight home

1 minute ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Live by the sword and die by the sword.

For a few years now, players have been pushing the overhanging ball to the limit when taking a corner even though there is almost no gain to be made by doing so. 

I therefore, have no sympathy for any players, or teams that suffer a perceived injustice due officials using the same rules.

Unlucky Germany, have a nice flight home

So placing the ball in the correct area then, according to the rules.

There is a clear advantage when taking an outswinging corner. 

24 minutes ago, sage said:

So placing the ball in the correct area then, according to the rules.

There is a clear advantage when taking an outswinging corner. 

No it isn't.

It is easy to take an out swinging corner when the ball is inside the quadrant. I know I've taken hundreds. 

Don't just believe the modern thinking and utter bullsh*t that players come out with these days.

1 minute ago, Loughborough Ram said:

No it isn't.

It is easy to take an out swinging corner when the ball is inside the quadrant. I know I've taken hundreds. 

Don't just believe the modern thinking and utter bullsh*t that players come out with these days.

It isn't. The players curl the ball so much, that the further you are away from the by line when you start, the nearer you can deliver the ball to the goal, without it curling out for a goal kick.

Physics

1 minute ago, sage said:

It isn't. The players curl the ball so much, that the further you are away from the by line when you start, the nearer you can deliver the ball to the goal, without it curling out for a goal kick.

Physics

Physics? ?

Alan Hinton didn't have to try and gain half a balls width when taking a corner. Didn't physics exist in the seventies?

maybe modern players should practice missing the first man instead of practicing balancing a ball on the wrong side of a line just so that they can feel like they're getting away with something

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

And avoid Brazil in 1/4 finals.

I’m not saying they did it on purpose, but Spain losing that game has actually made their path easier while also knocking out the Germans in the process.

What would they have done if the Costa Ricans had continued to lead in their game?

On 30/11/2022 at 21:31, Rammy03 said:

We didn't try to defend for the rest of the match. We dominated the first half and could have been at least 2 up. Second half they just grew into the game and took over. We never had the midfield players to control it, they did. It was frustrating I agree as you could just see the game slipping away from us. But I think it's harsh to put that all on Southgate.

Still don’t think we have a top class midfield even now. Alright having all the attackers we have but still don’t think we’ll control a game against a top side unless we go 5-back again.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What would they have done if the Costa Ricans had continued to lead in their game?

They would have gone out. I don’t think Spain played to lose the game. But they played a second string and probably went 70% as players looked to avoid injury. It was a risk, but I imagine Spain are sitting there now thinking they’d rather be in this position than playing Croatia and likely Brazil after.

I think they’ll dispatch Morocco and face Portugal in the 1/4 final. An opponent they have regularly beaten. 

It’s funny how the pundits are all so shocked that Belgium, who came third in the last World Cup (as they keep reminding us), couldn’t beat Croatia (who came second in last World Cup, as no one seems to mention).

It really wasn’t there day though. Just seen the highlights, and Lukaku is going to need therapy after that. It’s like Gazza not reaching that ball in 96, but easier, and 5 times!! Any one of those goes in, and they’re safely through. 

24 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Physics? ?

Alan Hinton didn't have to try and gain half a balls width when taking a corner. Didn't physics exist in the seventies?

maybe modern players should practice missing the first man instead of practicing balancing a ball on the wrong side of a line just so that they can feel like they're getting away with something

Because the modern player crosses it with more pace and the ball curls more.

Just now, sage said:

Because the modern player crosses it with more pace and the ball curls more.

???

The ball only curls because of the technique they use to kick it. It's a choice not a necessity.

If you think that players weren't taking outswinging and inswinging corners 50 years ago then you need to educate yourself and watch the Championship winning Derby County teams from the seventies as a starting point.

15 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

???

The ball only curls because of the technique they use to kick it. It's a choice not a necessity.

If you think that players weren't taking outswinging and inswinging corners 50 years ago then you need to educate yourself and watch the Championship winning Derby County teams from the seventies as a starting point.

Thats the third condescending remark you've made. 

I'm no spring chicken and have watched plenty of football. The game has changed. The ball has changed, boirs have changed, pitches are better.

Just because I can recognise the game of today, doesn't mean I don't understand and appreciate the past.

No doubt you will continue to build strawman arguments and I'm happy to leave you to it 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

Thats the third condescending remark you've made. 

I'm no spring chicken and have watched plenty of football. The game has changed. The ball has changed, boirs have changed, pitches are better.

Just because I can recognise the game of today, doesn't mean I don't understand and appreciate the past.

No doubt you will continue to build strawman arguments and I'm happy to leave you to it 

My apologies if I upset you but I get so fed up with the view that modern football is ground breaking.

In my opinion modern football has cast a spell over fans and the more we pay players the less we expect of them. Cheating is accepted as part of the game whether that is 'simulation', shirt pulling, wrestling at corners, arguing with the referee, or just plain old gaining 10 or 15 yards with a throw in. Winning is demanded whatever the cost and this issue is just another small example of fans accepting excuses from the game to justify poor attitude and behavior from the people that take the most out of the game.

I am happy at this small win over the players, when bending a rule has actually come back to kick them in the boll*cks. I think that we should all rejoice but I guess it's each to their own