World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

England are very much like Spurs. Beat the lesser sides quite comfortably, but almost always lose against the best when it matters.

And of course go years without winning a trophy.

We need a scalp to get everyone believing. I think if we can beat France (assuming we meet in the 1/4) it will trigger genuine belief and confidence that we can win it.

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

England are very much like Spurs. Beat the lesser sides quite comfortably, but almost always lose against the best when it matters.

We need a scalp to get everyone believing. I think if we can beat France (assuming we meet in the 1/4) it will trigger genuine belief and confidence that we can win it.

I think everyone’s expecting a quarter final exit.

Lose to Senegal and it will be disappointing. Lose to France and it will be expected. Beat France, and then we’ll start getting really excited. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yes, Its shaping up to be a typical England tournament... we've ticked off the comfortable group qualifying despite the token bore draw, now just need to make heavy weather of the tricky non-european team in the 2nd round before a valiant defeat at the hands of the first big guns (insert villain/red card/bad ref etc ).

In a sport where David regularly slays Goliath, surely it's time we changed the script (By beating France I mean, not losing to Senegal!)?

Whilst Mbappe seems to be provoking Jonah Lomu levels of fear, there should be no reason why we can't compete and beat Les Bleus (after advancing past Senegal of course). Will it be the same old story or is this the one?

6 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

Yes, Its shaping up to be a typical England tournament... we've ticked off the comfortable group qualifying despite the token bore draw, now just need to make heavy weather of the tricky non-european team in the 2nd round before a valiant defeat at the hands of the first big guns (insert villain/red card/bad ref etc ).

In a sport where David regularly slays Goliath, surely it's time we changed the script (By beating France I mean, not losing to Senegal!)?

Whilst Mbappe seems to be provoking Jonah Lomu levels of fear, there should be no reason why we can't compete and beat Les Bleus (after advancing past Senegal of course). Will it be the same old story or is this the one?

Yep. Foden sent off for a blatant foul throw. VAR shows his index and middle finger apart on the ball and takes that as an offensive v-sign gesture aimed at the Qatari regime.

25 minutes ago, Skin em Ted said:

Tunisia showing that the French can be got at. I know they’re on the beach, so to speak, but they’re not infallible. 

Southgate has looked at past tournaments and identified that to progress through the group stages you should play defensively and cautiously. And as a result he has seen success in taking England further into tournaments than we have been used to.

His problem is he hasn't understood the amount of flair and talent you need to actually win tournaments. So he stifles his flair players, picks many more defenders than attackers, and then loses the key matches in the later stages, when you think if only he had unleashed the extraordinary attacking talent at his disposal, he could have overwhelmed the opposition.

But maybe he is learning his lessons and will change as we move towards the later stages? It is a shame he didn't take Tomori as the lack of pace he's imposed on himself at the back, means he's also tempted to play a back 5 to mitigate this. When a back 4 would allow him more attacking options. I believe in playing your best players wherever possible, and our better players are our attacking players. 

One of the questions people keep asking is "who plays with Kane?" I would ask the question "should Kane be a first pick?" Probably, but I think it needs to be asked.

18 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Southgate has looked at past tournaments and identified that to progress through the group stages you should play defensively and cautiously. And as a result he has seen success in taking England further into tournaments than we have been used to.

His problem is he hasn't understood the amount of flair and talent you need to actually win tournaments. So he stifles his flair players, picks many more defenders than attackers, and then loses the key matches in the later stages, when you think if only he had unleashed the extraordinary attacking talent at his disposal, he could have overwhelmed the opposition.

But maybe he is learning his lessons and will change as we move towards the later stages? It is a shame he didn't take Tomori as the lack of pace he's imposed on himself at the back, means he's also tempted to play a back 5 to mitigate this. When a back 4 would allow him more attacking options. I believe in playing your best players wherever possible, and our better players are our attacking players. 

One of the questions people keep asking is "who plays with Kane?" I would ask the question "should Kane be a first pick?" Probably, but I think it needs to be asked.

Don't think there is too much wrong with Southgate's approach. He took us to a world cup semi final in 2018 when belief in the national team was at an all time low. And let's have it right, Croatia were just better than us at the time. They had better players than us. We were lining up with Henderson, Dele Alli, Lingard, Young in our midfield. We didn't have the fantastic attacking players we have now. We were inexperienced on the big stage and lacked big game players. Croatia had Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic for example. It was just a step too far for us.

But things are different now. We were a penalty kick away from winning the euros. I believe we have the squad to win a major tournament. There are a group of teams that could win it and we are one of them. Let's see what happens.

Edited by Rammy03

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

A bit similar to Germany in the euros. Many people thought we would lose that but we didn't. It gave us confidence to go on and reach the final.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I think everyone’s expecting a quarter final exit.

Lose to Senegal and it will be disappointing. Lose to France and it will be expected. Beat France, and then we’ll start getting really excited. 

That's exactly where I'm at. 

Mind you, I was confidently expecting a walk in the park against Cameroon in 1990 and that very nearly went breasts up...... ?

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

That's exactly where I'm at. 

Mind you, I was confidently expecting a walk in the park against Cameroon in 1990 and that very nearly went breasts up...... ?

Saved by Garys swan dives.  Nowadays, with video scrutiny, Mr fair play never booked would get 10 yellows a season.  Remember him doing an 8.5 in our 91 relegation season.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Got him to sign my Trainspotting vinyl  at Mickleover Sports about 6 years ago if you remember the film.  Took a bit of convincing. ?

Cracking film, I was going to post another clip where it had Train Spotting scenes, The one where they were making out on the sofa and she was in a bra...mods would have deleted it ?

Archie was giving his account of the goal

I'll send it you by PM ?