World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

This is where football trips itself up over and over. 

It likes saying nice things about stopping racism, homophobia etc etc. It likes minor punishments for minor breaches like moaning about a referee on twitter. 

But when it comes to actually having a chance to make statement they usually drag their feet and hope it blows over. 

Will Serbia get kicked out the World Cup? 

You may well be proved right but we don’t know yet if they will just hope it blows over or impose some kind of serious penalty on Serbia. In terms of opening an investigation, whilst it seems like an open and shut case, I guess it’s prudent of FIFA to make sure they’re completely satisfied that somehow, some unauthorised person didn’t gain access to the dressing room and hang up the flag. I know that sounds very unlikely but they do have to investigate.

As for being kicked out of the World Cup, that would seem to be appropriate (if they are guilty) but probably not enough given they’ve got a tough job on their hands to qualify for the next round.

I don’t think there is much interest in the World Cup down here in Newport. Watched the Argentina v Mexico game last night in a very crowded bar with loads of tv screens and when Messi scored there was was no reaction at all from anyone. Apparently lots of them had been watching some egg chasing.

Edited by Foreveram

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The Mexicans don't seem bothered, are they any good?

There's the Argentina Half time team talk going round on social media, Their manager tells the Argentine players to say, We're better than the Mexicans, We're better than the Mexicans.

tenor.gif

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I've read the story on the news, but suppose I should have been able to tell he was gay from the article?

Glad you've backed up my point though that your buddy was saying that its possible to tell someone is gay by looking at them but not possible to tell where someone is from by looking at them.

Not what's been stated though is it? You said you watched him on a show on TV. Nobody but you as suggested you could tell from an article though thanks for confirming you didn't even see the Twatter post. Might be helpful if you actually review the material you comment on yourself rather than allowing others to do your thinking for you, though on second thoughts...

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do grown men really post memes?

I guess, but maybe you can confirm when you grow up.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
'Holiday' avoidance procedures

46 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not what's been stated though is it? You said you watched him on a show on TV. Nobody but you as suggested you could tell from an article though thanks for confirming you didn't even see the Twatter post. Might be helpful if you actually review the material you comment on yourself rather than allowing others to do your thinking for you, though on second thoughts...

I guess, but maybe you can confirm when you grow up.

Jesus guys, get a room.

Literally, mods can we call this off topic yet? Stick it in a new thread, and let them scrap it out in there. 

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

"Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Serbia's football association after its team hung a controversial flag depicting Kosovo in their dressing room prior to their World Cup defeat by Brazil.

The flag showed an outline of Kosovo filled with the Serbia flag, with the words 'no surrender'.

Tensions are running high between ethnic Serbs and the Albanian-led government in Kosovo, amid fears violence could flare up again, 23 years after the Kosovo war.

Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in 2008 but Serbia - an ally of Russia - does not recognise it as an independent country..."

22 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It isn't just a flag, though, is it?

You could argue Serbia wanting to take over Kosovo is not unlike the IRA wanting to take over Northern Ireland - for which Ireland's (sorry, now England's) Declan Rice got into trouble over before https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/mar/21/declan-rice-apologises-ira-social-media-england

55 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

It's a flag showing an outline of Kosovo filled with the Serbia flag, with the words 'no surrender'.

Is that really worthy of being kicked out of the world cup?

Yep. I’d say it’s worthy of being kicked out of FIFA. If you can’t recognise the sovereignty of one of your fellow FIFA members, then I’d say your ideologies are intrinsically at odds to the core beliefs of the association. If the Serbians stand by their principles, then they shouldn’t really want to be involved with an association that recognises Kosovo.

on the football pitch is one place you ought to be able to put your politics to one side, and compete as sportsmen and women. The World Cup is, by definition, a gathering of the people of the world, where everyone can get kissed and enjoy a game of footy together, and forget about the s*** going on at home. Don’t bring that s*** with you. 

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Maradona never won a World Cup on his own. It’s a silly statement given Argentina only conceded three goals in six games prior to the final. They clearly had a very good defence, and the best teams are built on not conceding goals.

Maradona‘s record at Napoli was average. Barely scored double figures each season while again, the team had the best defensive record in the league. 

Maradona never scored/assisted 60 goals a season. Messi has done in about ten times.

That he hasn’t won a World Cup (a team tournament played every 4 years where luck plays just as much part as ability) is irrelevant.

Just watch Messi play. Look at his numbers. Nobody has played the game of football as well as he has. And not just for one year too. Over a decade of just footballing magic. 

Who he played for and who he played with is irrelevant. The dribbling, passing ability, ball control, decision making, set pieces, assists and simply ridiculous number of goals for a player who isn’t even a striker means he is the greatest. He is the best in every category. And it’s not even close.

yeah alright . Napoli won sod all while he was there?. Maradona was a number 10 as well not a striker.

27 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Yep. I’d say it’s worthy of being kicked out of FIFA. If you can’t recognise the sovereignty of one of your fellow FIFA members, then I’d say your ideologies are intrinsically at odds to the core beliefs of the association. If the Serbians stand by their principles, then they shouldn’t really want to be involved with an association that recognises Kosovo.

on the football pitch is one place you ought to be able to put your politics to one side, and compete as sportsmen and women. The World Cup is, by definition, a gathering of the people of the world, where everyone can get kissed and enjoy a game of footy together, and forget about the s*** going on at home. Don’t bring that s*** with you. 

Geta room Ted. Enough of your socio-political ramblings ?