World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Oh 100%

You can't let morals get in the way of money. 

Is everything in your life black and white then?  If you don't agree with something you completely cut it out of your life?  You vote labour and leave the country if the Tories get in?  Or vice versa? 

These people work in football, love the world cup.  Why should they not watch the football they love or earn a living just because they don't agree with the decision for it to be held there?   

11 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Is everything in your life black and white then?  If you don't agree with something you completely cut it out of your life?  You vote labour and leave the country if the Tories get in?  Or vice versa? 

These people work in football, love the world cup.  Why should they not watch the football they love or earn a living just because they don't agree with the decision for it to be held there?   

Yes I left the country when Tories got in. I'm in Qatar now taking their money cus I really really like football even more than human rights. I'm fuming about it to be honest. So what I'm gonna do is go on about footballs duty to represent everybody from every race, gender  and religion equally. But I'll do it from the only place in the world that could hold this tournament. The home of football. Qatar. 

40 minutes ago, Rev said:

Did we have a lot in common with the teams on that graph, personnel wise?

I'm not knocking the argument, btw, just the evidence you've produced to illustrate it.

Yeah obviously they're a lot better teams than us, but goal kick data isn't easily available for Championship teams, nevermind League 1.

46 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yes I left the country when Tories got in. I'm in Qatar now taking their money cus I really really like football even more than human rights. I'm fuming about it to be honest. So what I'm gonna do is go on about footballs duty to represent everybody from every race, gender  and religion equally. But I'll do it from the only place in the world that could hold this tournament. The home of football. Qatar. 

You gave up on any attempt at a sensible discussion then.

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

You gave up on any attempt at a sensible discussion then.

I only made I comment about everytime I turn football on it's not football it's people complaining about football going to Qatar while they're all in Qatar which is why so many people died getting the country ready. Because they knew football would take the moral high ground while following the money. Because football always does.

It makes grand gestures about equality and fair play. Anti racism and homophobia. But cares more about getting that dollar in. So does feck all contribution to anything. Just talks s**** 24/7

And that was my passing comment. You came with the tired "free speech" rhetoric. 

But I'm not arsed about these hypocrites flying their entire organisations out there. I'm laughing at them. Because their free speech is as empty as these stadiums will be in a month. 

Then you said something about leaving the country because of the Tories. Whatever. I'm not in a debate because there's nothing debatable. 

The world of football moves to Qatar and then thinks if they "raise awareness" that they'll deflect plenty of criticism. And I'm sure they will. Wear a pretty armband here. Take the knee the there. Rainbow laces and KickItOut. Wait! Pretty armbands are banished now!!

For the record I'm not against rainbow flags or world cups in Qatar. I just expect people to act on what they speak. Take the Qatar money and follow your sport. But for ffs shut up whining like you've been kidnapped. Talking s**** about carbon neutral world cups and equality. If you've gone for the football then stick to football. Quit crying about the problems you're a part of.

Edited by Alpha

2 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

This is how I feel when people talk about teams boycotting a tournament. A football player works all their life for the chance to play at a World Cup, and maybe win the thing. They might only get the one chance. It’s not their fault it’s being hosted in Qatar. So they shouldn’t be asked to screw their possibly one chance to play in or win the World Cup just because some d******** at fifa picked the wrong venue. 

in the punditting world, it’s probably quite similar. 

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I only made I comment about everytime I turn football on it's not football it's people complaining about football going to Qatar while they're all in Qatar which is why so many people died getting the country ready. Because they knew football would take the moral high ground while following the money. Because football always does.

It makes grand gestures about equality and fair play. Anti racism and homophobia. But cares more about getting that dollar in. So does feck all contribution to anything. Just talks s**** 24/7

And that was my passing comment. You came with the tired "free speech" rhetoric. 

But I'm not arsed about these hypocrites flying their entire organisations out there. I'm laughing at them. Because their free speech is as empty as these stadiums will be in a month. 

Then you said something about leaving the country because of the Tories. Whatever. I'm not in a debate because there's nothing debatable. 

The world of football moves to Qatar and then thinks if they "raise awareness" that they'll deflect plenty of criticism. And I'm sure they will. Wear a pretty armband here. Take the knee the there. Rainbow laces and KickItOut. Wait! Pretty armbands are banished now!!

For the record I'm not against rainbow flags or world cups in Qatar. I just expect people to act on what they speak. Take the Qatar money and follow your sport. But for ffs shut up whining like you've been kidnapped. Talking s**** about carbon neutral world cups and equality. If you've gone for the football then stick to football. Quit crying about the problems you're a part of.

Think you've missed the point entirely. 

Edited by Blondest Goat

33 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

This is how I feel when people talk about teams boycotting a tournament. A football player works all their life for the chance to play at a World Cup, and maybe win the thing. They might only get the one chance. It’s not their fault it’s being hosted in Qatar. So they shouldn’t be asked to screw their possibly one chance to play in or win the World Cup just because some d******** at fifa picked the wrong venue. 

Exactly.  It's not hypocritical to dislike something but still be a part of it.  Not everything can be all or nothing.  

I work for a bank.  There are plenty of things about the way they are run that I don't agree with.   It doesn't mean that I shouldnt work for them though or am a complete hypocrite if I moan about them to my colleagues.  That's just life. We all make compromises every day.  

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Can't help thinking though, that if any boycotting was going to happen, then right back at the start when the venue was announced, was the only time to do it. 

Three or four of the top teams pull out then, say we're not going. We're not even going to play the qualification games, then it may well have been moved . 

9 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Double standards by those in power, The World boycotted Russia for their invasion of Ukraine, But did nothing when 6500 died building stadia in Qatar.

Words are the simplest things to use, But it's actions that get noticed.

What did Infantino say..."this will be the best World Cup ever"...yeh sure, He'll be saying he's Gay next.   

6 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Can't help thinking though, that if any boycotting was going to happen, then right back at the start when the venue was announced, was the only time to do it. 

Three or four of the top teams pull out then, say we're not going. We're not even going to play the qualification games, then it may well have been moved . 

I think you're right but I suppose at that stage there had been no migrant worker deaths.  We just knew they had 'bought' the world cup and had a bad record on human rights.

36 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I think you're right but I suppose at that stage there had been no migrant worker deaths.  We just knew they had 'bought' the world cup and had a bad record on human rights.

Most people in the construction industry knew what life was like for poor migrant workers in the Gulf States and the incompatibility of the values of those societies with liberal western democracies in particular, so I think it was pretty widely known also in government and among national sporting bodies. 

The whole justification for awarding the WC to Qatar flew in the face of the "principles" commonly applied to the selection of suitable venues for major sporting tournaments. If the majority of the world's leading football nations had said "no" right at the outset, there's a good chance that FIFA would have had to rethink it. I'm forced to accept however that the threat of poorer nations losing revenue could have undermined any such action, but I believe it should have been tried. 

Edited by Crewton

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

What's this to do with Lycett?

Just trying to keep things football related and steer away from politics.

Although the two things are so entwined in the cultural zeitgeist it's probably impossible to split the two (to the detriment of both topics in my opinion).

Anyway... Nice to see Modric in his last tournament, even if the Morocco-Croatia game hasn't really ignited yet.

Edited by JoetheRam

12 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I don't have a problem with that either, but if they decide they want to go and play in/commentate on/ or work at the tournament they should just do that and spare us all the preaching because it's evident they don't care enough about the issues they're whinging about to inconvenience themselves in the slightest way. Nothing any of them are saying is new information. We knew about Qatar's poor human rights records before, during, and after the bidding process. People "raised awareness" about it before, during, and after the bidding process. It made no difference. It will make even less difference now other than giving a load of smug p***** and unjustified sense of self satisfaction.

Edited by Anon