Happy St Patrick's Day

Donegal Ram

27 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We do seem to have a lot of Irish fans. Is it a disproportionate number, and if so why?

It's a long story, but It all started when the Glentoran twins rode into town (both on the same horse, I hasten to add... Billy went side-saddle!)...

s-l400.jpg       Panini-Football-80-Billy-Caskey-Derby-Co

They were so darn good, we just kept going back for more!  

We even had Patrick printed on all the shirts!   

10 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

It's a long story, but It all started when the Glentoran twins rode into town (both on the same horse, I hasten to add... Billy went side-saddle!)...

s-l400.jpg       Panini-Football-80-Billy-Caskey-Derby-Co

They were so darn good, we just kept going back for more!  

We even had Patrick printed on all the shirts!   

Ah Tommy Doc's replacements for Colin Todd and Charlie George.

Don't get me started.

(I thought Moreland could perhaps have developed into a half decent player but....)

20 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Ah Tommy Doc's replacements for Colin Todd and Charlie George.

Don't get me started.

(I thought Moreland could perhaps have developed into a half decent player but....)

I think we had David Langan, Gerry Daly and Gerry Ryan at that time too, who were much better players (Langan and Daly certainly were).

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We do seem to have a lot of Irish fans. Is it a disproportionate number, and if so why?

One reason may be that a lot of Irish immigrants from the middle of the last century onwards settled in Derby? 

It was my mother's and lots of her family's first port of call anyway, I guess because of the employment opportunities offered by being a railway hub and a engineering stronghold, and all the associated jobs that came with it, from labourers and cleaners upwards.

28 minutes ago, Donegal Ram said:

Thing is Keogh has to go down as a Derby sort of legend who is an Irish international.

I know I give out, but, possibly we could have 4 international players with Watson included next season. That's positive.

Derby have had some fabulous Irish internationals over the years.  I always felt privileged to see McGrath in a Derby shirt despite him being at 50% of what he was at Villa.  The guy was that good at reading the game he could play top level international football in midfield as well as centre half .  A proper legend.  I wouldn't rate Keogh in the same league as our squad that got 11 points myself, never mind in the same airspace as McGrath after his shenanigans.  He'll forever go down as a liability who put his own delusions of self importance above his role as club captain in my book.  I think next year we'll only have Watson sadly.  Bar a major miracle in form and a buyer in the next 4 weeks.  Here's hoping.

10 minutes ago, Rev said:

One reason may be that a lot of Irish immigrants from the middle of the last century onwards settled in Derby? 

It was my mother's and lots of her family's first port of call anyway, I guess because of the employment opportunities offered by being a railway hub and a engineering stronghold, and all the associated jobs that came with it, from labourers and cleaners upwards.

A lot of nursing jobs as well, which was my grandma was here.  Grandad worked in North London and arrived in Derby for building work also from Ireland.  

I think, in the case of those who live in Ireland, it's related to our success in the 70s and also the attractive teams we had at the end of both the 80s and 90s. Many of the younger fans there owe their allegiance to their Dad or Grandad. 

I remember, about 15-20 years ago, an old fella and his son were regularly interviewed by Radio Derby outside Pride Park on matchdays. They came over from Monaghan for most home games. I imagine the old fella has passed away, but I wonder if his son still attends games?