International Women's Day

angieram

To mark the Day, Derby County has released an awareness video against violence on women.

I have posted it here as it will get more views than if I put it in the Jim Smith Room.

As it is International Women's Day I would like to add something positive and give a big shout out to all my female Derby County mates - whether virtual or matchday mates. Really appreciate you all. 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

To mark the Day, Derby County has released an awareness video against violence on women.

I have posted it here as it will get more views than if I put it in the Jim Smith Room.

As it is International Women's Day I would like to add something positive and give a big shout out to all my female Derby County mates - whether virtual or matchday mates. Really appreciate you all. 

I started going to the BBG in the mid-1970's. It may be a memory thing but I was always struck as a very young man how it was mostly {white} males. Today in 2022 it is so much better that football  supporting has a much more balanced demographic; there are still improvements to be made I'm sure, but I love the fact that there are so many more females {as well as non-binary}. 

53 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I started going to the BBG in the mid-1970's. It may be a memory thing but I was always struck as a very young man how it was mostly {white} males. Today in 2022 it is so much better that football  supporting has a much more balanced demographic; there are still improvements to be made I'm sure, but I love the fact that there are so many more females {as well as non-binary}. 

I started going in late 60's, and i always used to think we had alot more women supporters than a lot of teams seemed to. I used to go with my dad, my brother used to go and stood in the boys corner, but i always stood with my dad.

1 hour ago, Kathcairns said:

I started going in late 60's, and i always used to think we had alot more women supporters than a lot of teams seemed to. I used to go with my dad, my brother used to go and stood in the boys corner, but i always stood with my dad.

Obviously, as there was no girl's corner ?

2 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

I remember there was an article in the RAM newspaper sometime in the 1980s that stated we had one of the highest proportion of women supporters in the league.  I used to stand on the Normanton terrace at this time and remember there were a fair few women around me (no I am not boasting!) including the chair of the Loughborough Supporters Club, name escapes me.  Nowadays I think it's great that there is such a wide range of people who follow the rams.

We complain (rightly) about the EFL but the FA also have a lot to answer for......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30329606

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59475956

===

With respect to women supporters at the BBG.....

I'd say another barrier - besides the obvious sexist nature of society - was probably the "facilities". A huge advantage of being male is that we can stand up during moments of relief. And even that was bad enough for those of us that remember the "wall" at the entrance to the Popside ?

3 hours ago, ramit said:

spacer.png

Should be an international dads day for men who sit with their daughter watching endless episodes of Sabrina the teenage witch, Sonny with a chance and other US shows with canned laughter and pretend to enjoy it.

Edited by cstand