Abramovich is offski

Ramarena

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Maybe a condemnation of Vlad would be appropriate at this stage? 

Not really. He had two choices. Denounce Putin, or do exactly what he's done. With the UK far keener to sanction Russians than take more direct action against Putin himself, he clearly feared for the club's future if he stayed at the helm. He's also written off £1.5 billion in loans. Not sure too many Chelsea fans will take issue with his decision. 

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not really. He had two choices. Denounce Putin, or do exactly what he's done. With the UK far keener to sanction Russians than take more direct action against Putin himself, he clearly feared for the club's future if he stayed at the helm. He's also written off £1.5 billion in loans. Not sure too many Chelsea fans will take issue with his decision. 

Not sure he's written anything off - just handed over day-to-day running to the trustees. Suspect his main motive is to ensure he doesn't lose £1.5BN.....

48 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sure this is some kind of BS accounting sleight of hand meaning he can still pump a grotesque amount of money into the club by proxy instead

Presumably he’s afraid sanctions will result in expropriation and that he’ll lose the club. I’d guess he’s transferred control to the trust and possibly ownership as well. He’ll have done it in a way that should escape sanctions. And I’d guess he’s got a call option to get the whole thing back when sanctions are reversed (or one of his associates or family members has one) 

Edited by kevinhectoring

12 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Maybe a condemnation of Vlad would be appropriate at this stage? 

The club issued a statement. Does not condemn Putin. Just says the situation is terrible 

watched the Everton City game with someone who works at Chelsea. The RA news was on sky during the second half (he went pale) and employees didn’t get a message until well after the game. And then all they got was the RA statement.  It’s not only dcfc/q who don’t care about employees comms 

14 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Probably some kind of accountancy trick so if his assets are frozen the club is not affected. The timing of this is ominous.

It's exactly this. A ploy to distance himself from the club so when his assets eventually get frozen Chelsea roll on. He still owns the club. He still bankrolls the club.

4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Not sure he's written anything off - just handed over day-to-day running to the trustees. Suspect his main motive is to ensure he doesn't lose £1.5BN.....

He already lost it! This is the sum that that he's allegedly ploughed into the club including the last remaining £340 million still owed to him. I see @Tyler Durden agrees with you but it's all there in the public domain.

20 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

He already lost it! This is the sum that that he's allegedly ploughed into the club including the last remaining £340 million still owed to him. I see @Tyler Durden agrees with you but it's all there in the public domain.

It was quoted on the news reports last night that he had loaned them £1.5BN but the change or stewardship wouldn't see him demanding his money back - suggests to me that he's funded them though loans rather than donations....

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

It was quoted on the news reports last night that he had loaned them £1.5BN but the change or stewardship wouldn't see him demanding his money back - suggests to me that he's funded them though loans rather than donations....

What am I missing here? If I lend you a tenner but don't ask for it back it becomes a gift does it not? 

Just now, 86 Hair Islands said:

What am I missing here? If I lend you a tenner but don't ask for it back it becomes a gift does it not? 

You’re missing the point that the loans are still loans - he’s not calling them in and (at this point) he’s not writing them off either….

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

You’re missing the point that the loans are still loans - he’s not calling them in and (at this point) he’s not writing them off either….

Err, ok...

44 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

If you don’t ask for it back. Until you do.

It’s not a gift until you say it’s a gift. 

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/chelsea-free-from-debt-as-abramovich-writes-off-340m-loan-26595291.html

In their financial results for the 12 months to June 30, 2009, the club announced that Abramovich has converted his outstanding £340m interest-free loan in Chelsea into equity, leaving them effectively debt-free.

Converted to equity and transferred to the Trust... ?‍♀️

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

9 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Yes probably funded by loans and for tax reasons as well as the more obvious ones. So I’d guess that as well as protecting his equity interests from sanction he has also probably transferred his loans to some crony or other