The Ukraine War

Day

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I think it’s about time we sent in a “James Bond” to sort out Putin.

Bit like when Russia sent the two agents to Sailsbury and we all said nothing.

The guy who will replace Putin will probably be as bad or even worse. Your "James Bond" will face a lot of sorting out but I wish him well.

2 hours ago, Cisse said:

The guy who will replace Putin will probably be as bad or even worse. Your "James Bond" will face a lot of sorting out but I wish him well.

Surely there can’t be more of these type who want to be at odds with the whole world? I can understand Putin thoughts as he’s not long for this world apparently.  But why would anyone in their right mind think that this situation is good for Russia going forward?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Surely there can’t be more of these type who want to be at odds with the whole world? I can understand Putin thoughts as he’s not long for this world apparently.  But why would anyone in their right mind think that this situation is good for Russia going forward?

Answered your question right there.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

There are plenty of Putin types in Russia. The corruption is everywhere and it serves them well to keep it going. Wait until you see Medvedev or somebody else in action.

7 hours ago, Boycie said:

If only it were that simple mate.

Theres big money to be made out of conflicts unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

Fidel Castro used to say "if you are a small country then pick a big enemy". Putin is succeeding on keeping Russia front and central on the world stage and, domestically, positioning himself as the person who will save the Russians from the collective force of the world against them (and jumping on actions like NATO expansion as testimony to that way of thinking). If you are Russian he is playing all the cards right, coupling a very generous and caring domestic policy with a foreign policy that has many thinking he is actually saving them from the great oppressors by his actions.

@Cisse - Medvedev would be one of the better options should Putin be succeeded. Some of the other candidates are really worrying in their position and bullishness. And as it slips off the front pages in the western world (hey, who needs attention span) the likelihood of this just getting worse and worse increases.

On 10/06/2022 at 12:11, Boycie said:

Any Russian politician who dares to criticize or oppose Putin seems to inexplicably get assassinated, poisoned or suffer a sudden heart attack.  At least the ones who don't end up in jail for fraud or tax evasion.  It's really been an amazing string of bad luck for Putin's opponents over the years. 

Those that remain, have either been keeping their mouth shut through fear, or really believe in Putin's ideology.  It's the latter group that are more worrying. 

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

Any Russian politician who dares to criticize or oppose Putin seems to inexplicably get assassinated, poisoned or suffer a sudden heart attack.  At least the ones who don't end up in jail for fraud or tax evasion.  It's really been an amazing string of bad luck for Putin's opponents over the years. 

Those that remain, have either been keeping their mouth shut through fear, or really believe in Putin's ideology.  It's the latter group that are more worrying. 

I understand that, but I want to believe that once Putin has gone they’ll all look at each other waiting for one to say “thank god” and they’ll try to make amends without losing too much face.