Champions Of England

loweman2

I had the privilege and the pleasure on Monday to meet up at Seven restaurant in Derby with some DCFC royalty.

I had been approached by a national newspaper (not the sun) sports reporter to ask if i could assist him in inviting some of the legends of the 1971/72 team, they are not just legends of Derby County but 1970s football in general, household names in the footballing world until this day and men of god for those who follow Derby County and forever revered in these parts.

What he wanted to do was to something that nobody else in the press seems bothered about and that is to bring the story of what those players did under the auspices and guidance of Brian Clough & Peter Taylor into the headlines and to freshen up and relive the story.

It has been such bad timing that the club is in such a mess that it can not honour these fine gentleman (another victim of the poor management of our club) so i was more than happy to get them together and sit in on what was a great three hours spent over lunch and a couple of drinks in a private room reliving not just that season but the seasons that followed.

its not for me to tell the stories as that honour falls to the reporter and in should be in print a little nearer the end of the season but needless to say there were some funny moments, some very honest and truthful moments and some sad moments.

Kevin was supposed to join us but had to pull out at the last minute but he was ably covered by the others, Messrs Mcfarland, Durban, Gemmill and O'Hare !

50 years ago they were Champions of England and will be forever Champions of Derby !

champions.jpeg

2 hours ago, Indy said:

It is annoying me that this year should be all about the 50th anniversary of Derby and Clough’s achievements, but instead the only time Derby are in the minds of other football fans it’s linked to this utter sh*tshow.

That's what for me is so depressing about all this, we should be spending our time and energy celebrating the 50th anniversary of our greatest season ever and instead of all the crap we are having to invest all of that in fighting with a bunch of people who I wouldn't even give a second thought to if I said hello to in the street. My old man and my grandad are spinning. 

There are two generations still going strong, who will remember all this. 
As Champions of England, that's two generations of football fans, not just two generations of Derby fans.  Two generations country wide... Europe wide... World wide!

That's a hefty number of football fans to get behind the cause, give those memories a shout out, and help #Save Derby County.

?

As soon as we get new owners in I will be writing to them with my Rams Heritage Trust hat on and asking that something is sorted for the final game of the season, hopefully it can be a staying up party and and a massive show of appreciation for what those lads did for our club and put our Derby County on the world footballing map !