Coventry City (A) FA Cup 3rd Round Matchday Thread

Inverurie Ram

This is Cocu football.

I hate to say it but Morrison, Thompson and Bird is too attack shy.

We spend far too much effort in trying to retain position in the middle third than worrying about attacking.

Imagine being a Coventry CB today - three of them and their playing CKR. You’re really not going to worry about a ball in behind you are you? The centre backs only threat was Dabo at left back.

I take one positive from this and that is Rooney will hopefully have learnt this combination of players just isn’t good enough.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

This is Cocu football.

We spend far too much effort in trying to retain position in the middle third than worrying about attacking.

Imagine being a Coventry CB today - three of them and their playing CKR. You’re really not going to worry about a ball in behind you are you? The centre backs only threat was Dabo at left back.

I take one positive from this and that is Rooney will hopefully have learnt this combination of players just isn’t good enough.

Yep ?

If Festy can start producing the final ball (shot, pass, cross etc) then we have a wonderful talent on our hands. Shame about today, thought we played well and didn’t deserve to lose. 

1 minute ago, Rich84 said:

That's worrying, as looked our worst performance since Brizzle away.

Keeping possession but no real threat is not an excellent performance.

Please revert to Plange and Jozwiak and CKR and Morrison as 60th min subs for next week

Maybe the 88th minute for Raval, agree with the rest ??

13 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This is Cocu football.

I think Bird and Thompson are fine in the right set up as they’ve proved recently.

Todays set up was back to the poor start of season days. 

Back then we learned:

- Morrison isn’t a starter and can seriously unbalance the side.

- If you play CKR you need runners/movement around him and getting beyond him.

- Lawrence and Morrison can’t play in the same team (look how Lawrence’s form collapses)

- We can play infront of teams all we like, but if you don’t break through them you’re going to lose.

Today we picked our strongest defence and midfield and then completely blunted them with our poor attacking selections!

Just an observation concerning "our" fans not arsed being knocked out of the FA Cup, It would seem that a lot of fans today can't be arsed about their club being knocked out of the FA Cup...7304 at Bristol City, Sky Sports taking the mick out of WBA as Jeff can't see their fans.

Has the Cup lost it's sparkle? It lost it 10+ years ago imo when United got a bye in the 3rd round when playing the World Championship Final, No replays, Penalties after extra time because of fears that a fixture backlog due to Covid, It's becoming an inconvenience for many.

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But it’s been clear for weeks that the more attack minded midfield options we have in the 23s are seen as a bit of a liability in this current system. 

4 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Just an observation concerning "our" fans not arsed being knocked out of the FA Cup, It would seem that a lot of fans today can't be arsed about their club being knocked out of the FA Cup...7304 at Bristol City, Sky Sports taking the mick out of WBA as Jeff can't see their fans.

Has the Cup lost it's sparkle? It lost it 10+ years ago imo when United got a bye in the 3rd round when playing the World Championship Final, No replays, Penalties after extra time because of fears that a fixture backlog due to Covid, It's becoming an inconvenience for many.

It is and such a shame. In the good old days if you happened to play the same team on the Wednesday in the league and then on the Saturday in the Cup, there would be a bigger attendance and excitement at the cup game. Since the Premier League and Champions League it has become pretty much an irrelevance with reserve sides and poor attendances ?