Best Boxing Day memories

Bris Vegas

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Trying to think of the best memories I’ve had watching Derby on Boxing Day.

I look back on the George Burley season as one of my favourites, and we won 2-1 at promotion-chasing Wigan on Boxing Day that year.

I can’t think of any others. 

That has put me in the festive mood Bris. Look forward to more ‘best memories’ threads from you in the weeks ahead, but I am not sure it will scale the heights of a 2-1 away win at Wigan. Merry Christmas ? 

22 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Trying to think of the best memories I’ve had watching Derby on Boxing Day.

I look back on the George Burley season as one of my favourites, and we won 2-1 at promotion-chasing Wigan on Boxing Day that year.

I can’t think of any others. 

Best one in my 54 years is the win at Huddersfield in 1995. Ron Willems scoring the winner. 

Probably the most memorable, though not a victory, was the 4-4 draw with Manure in 1970.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I like the one where we first harkened to the angels singing. 
We have since fought for evermore, and all because of that one Boxing Day!

Without that day, we could have stopped fighting. Then where would we be!  Eh? ?

?

Yeh. Think that was the one where we beat F*rest away! Memorable Cuz we keep singing about it. 

Derby County 4 Manchester United 4 Dec 26th 1970

Snow on the ground, the Baseball pitch like a bog, Best, Charlton, Law against the newly promoted Derby side with Dave McKay pulling the strings, a true Boxing day thriller.

Boxing day matches do not come any better than this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYqkkKJHYvI

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

Going to see us play Forest away. Being in with Forest due to Dads neighbour being a red. He got me a ticket. It was a thrill seeing John Robertson miss a penalty, me cheering and loads of big blokes looking around to see who was doing it then staring at a kid! How we drew 1-1 I will never know.

On 25/12/2021 at 06:51, I DONT MIND said:

Probably the most memorable, though not a victory, was the 4-4 draw with Manure in 1970.

This. Cracking game and atmosphere, played on a muddy, Best, Law & Charlton vs the Rams, snow covered pitch, a BBG classic. 

Away trip - Wigan 1 v Derby 2, 2004, the start of the PO charge under Burley. Great pies and a pub crawl in Derby when we got back. 

On 25/12/2021 at 10:27, Elwood P Dowd said:

Derby County 4 Manchester United 4 Dec 26th 1970

Snow on the ground, the Baseball pitch like a bog, Best, Charlton, Law against the newly promoted Derby side with Dave McKay pulling the strings, a true Boxing day thriller.

Boxing day matches do not come any better than this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYqkkKJHYvI

So we have a history of being poor at defending the corners!

On 25/12/2021 at 06:51, I DONT MIND said:

Best one in my 54 years is the win at Huddersfield in 1995. Ron Willems scoring the winner. 

Yes the 4-4 v Man U is an abiding memory. Best, Charlton, Law all at their peak. Frozen pitch. Packed BBG. Jumpers for goal posts.

1 hour ago, StrawHillRam said:

Yes the 4-4 v Man U is an abiding memory. Best, Charlton, Law all at their peak. Frozen pitch. Packed BBG. Jumpers for goal posts.

Les Green's final match for Derby, I believe. Colin Boulton became first choice and went on to be ever-present in both title-willing seasons.