Tracey Crouch's Plan to Save Football

Day

7 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

What has the financing of PPS purchase by at third party got to do with Derby leave alone anyone else?

it has a lot to do with Derby. The stadium owning company is owned by Mel. The cash went to the club. The accounting profit on the sale went to the P&S bottom line      

11 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

it has a lot to do with Derby. The stadium owning company is owned by Mel. The cash went to the club. The accounting profit on the sale went to the P&S bottom line      

But if I sell my house to someone else what relevance is it to me who that someone else has borrowed their money from? 

And what has it got to do with Tracey Crouch or her review who Mel borrowed money from to buy PPS? What has that got to do with the problems in football?   

I noticed it was the Leeds CEO's turn to slag off the parts of the Crouch Report that would most impact on the PL trough-guzzlers - he almost went full Godwin, likening the threat of Govt Regulation to Maoist Theory and something you'd expect the ruler of North Korea. He said giving EFL clubs more money would simply see them "waste" more. I guess irony isn't his strong point, which is strange because he used to work for West Ham.

Another 4 or 5 of these and they'll be onto comparing it to the Holocaust. The government should double the proposed tax on transfers, just to teach them a lesson.

• 5 months later...

Could have been an easy win for the government, I'm no supporter of the conservatives but here is something that's obviously necessary, popular, won't involve huge government spending and can be given the "we're in touch with the regular folks who care about their football club and love the game".

Ok, implementing it on an unwilling football industry would not be massively easy, but it'd keep Nadine dorries out of harm's way for a while.

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Could have been an easy win for the government, I'm no supporter of the conservatives but here is something that's obviously necessary, popular, won't involve huge government spending and can be given the "we're in touch with the regular folks who care about their football club and love the game".

Ok, implementing it on an unwilling football industry would not be massively easy, but it'd keep Nadine dorries out of harm's way for a while.

There's no profit in it for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Happy New Year all. 

The Sunday Times is reporting that Rishi Sunak has signed off plans to appoint a Football Regulator to oversee all English football, including the Premier League. A White Paper will be published this year and could come into force by 2024.

I'm sure that the trough-guzzlers at the PL will lobby hard against the proposals once more, but this could be good news and a potential killer blow to plans for a European Super League, as well as bringing about the integration of PL and EFL FFP regulations. 

I'd like to see them ban multi-club ownership too, but that's probably unlikely. We'll see. 

43 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Happy New Year all. 

The Sunday Times is reporting that Rishi Sunak has signed off plans to appoint a Football Regulator to oversee all English football, including the Premier League. A White Paper will be published this year and could come into force by 2024.

I'm sure that the trough-guzzlers at the PL will lobby hard against the proposals once more, but this could be good news and a potential killer blow to plans for a European Super League, as well as bringing about the integration of PL and EFL FFP regulations. 

I'd like to see them ban multi-club ownership too, but that's probably unlikely. We'll see. 

Didn't the courts issue the killer blow to the Super League the other week, ruling in favour of UEFA?

9 minutes ago, David said:

Didn't the courts issue the killer blow to the Super League the other week, ruling in favour of UEFA?

I don't know, all the report says is "The regulator will also have powers to prevent clubs competing in breakaway competitions like the abortive ESL. Criteria for any new proposed competition will be decided in consultation with the Football Association and fans." They use the word "abortive" which might be an oblique reference to the court case you mentioned. 

22 minutes ago, David said:

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I don't know, all the report says is "The regulator will also have powers to prevent clubs competing in breakaway competitions like the abortive ESL. Criteria for any new proposed competition will be decided in consultation with the Football Association and fans." They use the word "abortive" which might be an oblique reference to the court case you mentioned. 

I think they ruled that UEFA's efforts to prevent the breakaway didn't amount to a breach of EU law.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Happy New Year all. 

Depends whether we end up with something in the style of the financial services regulator (most powerful regulatory authority in the non-communist world as an ex-CEO of mine put it), or something like Ofgen, which has been utterly useless for the consumer.

20 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Depends whether we end up with something in the style of the financial services regulator (most powerful regulatory authority in the non-communist world as an ex-CEO of mine put it), or something like Ofgen, which has been utterly useless for the consumer.

Ofgem regulate the price cap that energy suppliers can charge customers. Enough said. 

• 3 weeks later...

Meantime, whilst nothing ever happens, a mate of mine who is an Irons fan, tells me his plucky little club, is in real danger of going out of business. Went in the Iron bar with him to our last league cup game there, seem to remember Knighty making a debut impact that game. The locals were friendly and every bit as passionate about their team.

Small story stuff in the football world, being a conference club, but another town in danger of losing its football club.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/pressure-mounts-scunthorpe-united-potential-8050670

Footballs completely on its bum. 

On one hand you have Bury, Scunthorpe and how we got fisted for *checking notes* spending an owners money to try and go up. 

Then you have Chelsea spending £100m on an average to good prem player. Forest splashing the cash (good for them). 

The problem is the top 6 don’t care about the other 90 odd clubs. The remaining 14 prem teams don’t care about the 70 odd other clubs. The championship clubs don’t care about anyone but themselves and so on. 

People cry over the super league but that’s basically what we’ve got now exactly there’s no other countries involved.