Darren Wassall

@Bris Vegasdoes have a point, a decent recruitment strategy would have done more with the money so far invested,  but.... there's something special seeing a kid make their league debut and go on and have a career after starting at your club, lots of us still look for their names on teamsheets long after leaving. 

Also, as lots have said, an academy is a long term project, but until there are rules in place to prevent the likes if Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea sucking up dozens of kids and then loaning them out it is a gamble, the amount we've lost in the last couple of years! And we are a Cat 1 academy!

There needs to be a  rule to restrict how many players can be loaned out from 1 club, that way the talented kids would more likely stay at their original 'local' clubs and either generate income down the line or stay and improve the quality of those teams / save them transfer fees.

29 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

There needs to be a  rule to restrict how many players can be loaned out from 1 club

This. 

There also needs to be a future more generous add-ons format that better reflects the contribution made by the club that develops the player up to the age of 17, one that means payments are due from whatever club owns the player when they reach it, such that those rights can't be traded, they stay with the player. 

9 hours ago, Rich84 said:

@Bris Vegasdoes have a point, a decent recruitment strategy would have done more with the money so far invested,  but.... there's something special seeing a kid make their league debut and go on and have a career after starting at your club, lots of us still look for their names on teamsheets long after leaving. 

No guarantees. How many clubs has it worked well for out of interest?

12 hours ago, Crewton said:
  13 hours ago, Rich84 said:

There needs to be a  rule to restrict how many players can be loaned out from 1 club

Totally agree…. I’d go even further and say that the number of players registered to a club needs to be capped at a sensible level. This will prevent bigger, hyper clubs ‘hoovering’ up all of the potential from younger levels and also prevent them on ‘stealing’ players already in academy developments.

3 hours ago, HectorsHouse said:

Totally agree…. I’d go even further and say that the number of players registered to a club needs to be capped at a sensible level. This will prevent bigger, hyper clubs ‘hoovering’ up all of the potential from younger levels and also prevent them on ‘stealing’ players already in academy developments.

Did you see the number the Liverpool debutant had on his back on Saturday? No 80 - have they really got that many close to first team duties?

16 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Did you see the number the Liverpool debutant had on his back on Saturday? No 80 - have they really got that many close to first team duties?

Unlikely players like to take certain numbers as good look or as a meaning, take Trent Alexander Arnold chose number 66

For the doubters about the academy another 2 young lads have slotted into the first team playing against Bournemouth and Fulham and both did not look out of place, the future via the academy is very bright, guided by the experienced Jags and Curtis and senior players on the pitch.

Cocu was for me should have been the perfect fit for PSVs academy over 5 years made a profit of £100 million pounds on player sales over 5 years and the team won the Dutch league 3 times in that time, sadly for Cocu and his staff it was the wrong time for Derby with the mess we were in,prior to there arrival.

Liam Thompson is like one of those terriers you can't shake off ya leg. Keeps nipping away until it's got a piece of you. 

When I was watching him on Sunday, it made me think that you could tell he's being trained by an ex-player like Rooney who never shied away from anything.

For me, perhaps one of the best debut's and follow up games I've seen from an academy player and I never thought I'd say that after watching Thompson many times for the U18s.