Derby - city of Culture 2025?

so Derby is on the long list of eight to be the City of Culture for 2025 taking over from Coventry. 

Could it happen? let’s hope so what a great boost it would be for Derby

The other seven long-listed locations are Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon, Bradford, Cornwall, County Durham, Southampton, Stirling and Wrexham County Borough.

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

so Derby is on the long list of eight to be the City of Culture for 2025 taking over from Coventry. 

Could it happen? let’s hope so what a great boost it would be for Derby

The other seven long-listed locations are Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon, Bradford, Cornwall, County Durham, Southampton, Stirling and Wrexham County Borough.

City of Culture?

District, county, county and a principal area are four of the candidates ?

Yep a strange one apparently 
‘It is the first time groups of towns have been able to apply for the title’  according to the BBC 

12 minutes ago, sage said:

Of those left, I'd have thought Bradford is the political favourite. Levelling up, Northern Powerhouse etc 

Naah - they'll give it to Armagh. Another sweetener/bribe to keep the Northern Irish happy given all the issues they're having with the post-Brexit trade....

5 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Naah - they'll give it to Armagh. Another sweetener/bribe to keep the Northern Irish happy given all the issues they're having with the post-Brexit trade....

Maybe, but culture can be divisive and as well as unifying. 

Well we’ve certainly got the history and heritage - we reminded by ‘We Are Derby’

Having read about more about the regeneration plans link below I really hope we win this. Some of the plans around the Market place area sound exciting particularly relocating the theatre onto the site of the old Assembly Rooms 

https://www.Derby.gov.uk/news/2021/october/uk-city-of-culture-longlist/

Edited by Monty

Will the selection committee choosing the winner be influenced by where in the country the previous winners are located. The present and previous holders being Londonderry, Hull and Coventry. So will the next winner be a candidate that is outside the areas of the country that these cities are in?

If so I can't see them picking another city located in the Midlands.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a day in Coventry - never been before, but jesus - what a dump.

It makes Derby look like Paris. The whole city centre looks like Derby's old Main Centre, but worse 

Which makes it even more incongruous that they have "City Of Culture 2021" banners everywhere

I'd say on the evidence at hand that we are over qualified

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Just got back from a day in Coventry - never been before, but jesus - what a dump.

It makes Derby look like Paris. The whole city centre looks like Derby's old Main Centre, but worse 

Which makes it even more incongruous that they have "City Of Culture 2021" banners everywhere

Before it was levelled by the Luftwaffe it had a medeavel city centre to rival York

Ghost Town.. .

On 26/10/2021 at 16:43, Stive Pesley said:

Agree. It’s awful. Hamburg was levelled as well in WW2, but was rebuilt in the old style and now looks great, as opposed to the terrible buildings in Coventry. The sad thing is that pre-war, Coventry had lots of half timbered black and white 16th and 15th century buildings and just one medieval street remains.