Local Journalism

JG400

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

If you don't know what is actually happening with the club and the EFL all you can do is surmise - how far do you want them to go on no real evidence? We've seen on the forum just how wild some ideas about what's happening can be! Who do they help? 

They need to keep asking the relevant questions though to both parties...where are we at,are there going to be charges,the timescales of the decision itself etc.

That's the sort of pressure that needs to kept up.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think they'd be clever enough to think of that?! I seem to remember whenever we have these type of threads, there was one on Twitter too. The local journos say they keep asking...

I don’t remember them saying we keep asking, all I ever see is “what do you want us to do” type responses from Dawes and the telegraph bloke 

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

They need to keep asking the relevant questions though to both parties...where are we at,are there going to be charges,the timescales of the decision itself etc.

That's the sort of pressure that needs to kept up.

And you want them to write down a piece every time they do that? ? Seriously?

Just now, TexasRam said:

I don’t remember them saying we keep asking, all I ever see is “what do you want us to do” type responses from Dawes and the telegraph bloke 

Article below: "DerbyshireLive approached the club for a comment." Shall we tweet Steve and ask him to cut and paste that line a bit more, just so we fans know? 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Article below: "DerbyshireLive approached the club for a comment." Shall we tweet Steve and ask him to cut and paste that line a bit more, just so we fans know? 

Yes he should be asking everyday isn’t that his job? Pretty poor article as usual, approached the club for comment? What did they say? 

Edited by TexasRam

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I've heard them say it on air numerous times.

Fair enough, I haven’t heard them say it recently but good on them if so.

The problem is that the DT and RD rely on having good relations with the club to maintain the flow of information. If they ever released any controversial information, they risk being banned from the ground, ignored by the club and not included in the standard press briefings. It's really not the role of the local football correspondents to do the type of phone intercept and searching through bins journalism which would be needed to get anything juicy in this situation.

If stuff like that is going to happen, it will be the national press. It's frustrating, but it's not the fault of Steve Nicholson, Ed Dawes or Chris Coles. Ryan Conway probably has a bit more leeway, but even he can't destroy his access to the club.

3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The problem is that the DT and RD rely on having good relations with the club to maintain the flow of information. If they ever released any controversial information, they risk being banned from the ground, ignored by the club and not included in the standard press briefings. It's really not the role of the local football correspondents to do the type of phone intercept and searching through bins journalism which would be needed to get anything juicy in this situation.

If stuff like that is going to happen, it will be the national press. It's frustrating, but it's not the fault of Steve Nicholson, Ed Dawes or Chris Coles. Ryan Conway probably has a bit more leeway, but even he can't destroy his access to the club.

Doesn't seem much evidence of any special relationship or any relationship fullstop tbh which would be in jeopardy which I guess is the whole point of this thread. 

21 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Indeed and I’d add there are many things local journalists like Steve Nicholson know but aren’t allowed/ won’t report for the reasons you mention.

The Telegraph has been absolutely decimated in recent years, add in the club going it alone with their own comms and the reasons for the current situation become obvious. 

These journalists still have a lot of connections at the club and will hear lots of things on the quiet, the idea they know absolutely nothing is patently false. 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

No comment?

It didn’t say they refused to comment or gave a no comment response. However I could of and I missed it in between  the adverts, headlines of a Husband leaving his wife after spotting this in this picture, or the other clickbait articles splitting up the report (which was mainly regurgitated news from previous weeks) 

39 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Doesn't seem much evidence of any special relationship or any relationship fullstop tbh which would be in jeopardy which I guess is the whole point of this thread. 

They still need access to the club for matchday broadcasting, player/manager interviews and so on. If the club were to ban say Dawes or Nicholson from the ground, or refuse to let them attend pre-match press briefings, then they literally cannot do the job they're being paid to do.  Like it or not, they need to maintain a reasonable working relationship with the club.

It's a completely different case for people like Percy or Nixon who are paid by national newspapers, and only rely on having a few contacts at clubs. If their relationship with the club breaks down, they lose very little.

18 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It didn’t say they refused to comment or gave a no comment response. However I could of and I missed it in between  the adverts, headlines of a Husband leaving his wife after spotting this in this picture, or the other clickbait articles splitting up the report (which was mainly regurgitated news from previous weeks) 

What did the husband spot in the picture, I really need to know and I really need to know now