Local Journalism

JG400

Really frustrated with the lack of any comms from Club or EFL along with everyone on here , but I am pretty disappointed with the output from the local journals , be it paper or Radio, I am sure that they will say that there hands are tied and that they ask DCFC for a response everyday but get no comment, further more let me state that I have a lot of time and respect for the guys at Radio Derby  (plus also zero time or anything else for the click bait that calls itself the Derby Evening telegraph) , however is Investigative Journalism dead ? or is it smothered by a don't ask questions that will get us banned ?

National Papers will only give so much space/time to DCFC  and then only the more sensational news bites , a local journalist has a audience who are invested in there local club and therefore digging for detail must be worth while 

13 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Really frustrated with the lack of any comms from Club or EFL along with everyone on here , but I am pretty disappointed with the output from the local journals , be it paper or Radio, I am sure that they will say that there hands are tied and that they ask DCFC for a response everyday but get no comment, further more let me state that I have a lot of time and respect for the guys at Radio Derby  (plus also zero time or anything else for the click bait that calls itself the Derby Evening telegraph) , however is Investigative Journalism dead ? or is it smothered by a don't ask questions that will get us banned ?

National Papers will only give so much space/time to DCFC  and then only the more sensational news bites , a local journalist has a audience who are invested in there local club and therefore digging for detail must be worth while 

I think you answered your own rant to be honest

Ed Dawes kicked off about this on Sportscene last night. He had a good old rant about the wall of silence from the club that they and other local journalists face when they seek answers. They're clearly as frustrated as the fans are. 

Speculation fills an information void, so the club hierarchy cannot be surprised by the direction the narrative on social media is taking. 

I fully understand the possible need for secrecy and discretion on takeover and financial matters in difficult times, but "say nothing" has a limited lifespan. They need to make a statement before the next fixture that gives us at least an outline of the current situation. 

15 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Really frustrated with the lack of any comms from Club or EFL along with everyone on here , but I am pretty disappointed with the output from the local journals , be it paper or Radio, I am sure that they will say that there hands are tied and that they ask DCFC for a response everyday but get no comment...

What do you expect them to do? There's nothing more to be investigated is there?! They have no access to our accounts, the HMRC bill nor P&S. They asked for a comment on the unpaid transfer fees and didn't get one.

Really, what else?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What do you expect them to do? There's nothing more to be investigated is there?! They have no access to our accounts, the HMRC bill nor P&S. They asked for a comment on the unpaid transfer fees and didn't get one.

Really, what else?

I wonder if they have asked Mel or a club representative to come on air and explain what they can? I haven’t heard they have or haven’t but I know I’d shout it from the roof tops if I was in their position if they have. 
Maybe they have done that? 

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Ed Dawes kicked off about this on Sportscene last night. He had a good old rant about the wall of silence from the club that they and other local journalists face when they seek answers. They're clearly as frustrated as the fans are. 

Speculation fills an information void, so the club hierarchy cannot be surprised by the direction the narrative on social media is taking. 

I fully understand the possible need for secrecy and discretion on takeover and financial matters in difficult times, but "say nothing" has a limited lifespan. They need to make a statement before the next fixture that gives us at least an outline of the current situation. 

Wouldn’t trust Ed Dawes with a packet of Wine Gums. This is the bloke during the whole Fake sheik fiasco, that was texting Morris and trying to sound smug live on air that he knows what’s going on.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really, what else?

Investigate ? Call in favours ? Use contacts ? Not simply ring the press office at Derby County and say 'any news' , Perhaps I have watched too much Lou Grant or Press gang 

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Copy and paste some tweets?

Or to quote Steve Weinburg at the University of Missouri

"Reporting, through one's own initiative and work product, matters of importance to readers, viewers, or listeners."

It doesn’t seem like any of our local journalists have the aforementioned ‘contacts’ at the club anymore. If nothing else you can congratulate Mel and Co for keeping a tight ship… no leaks anywhere (the Govt could learn a thing or two from them). 
While I’m not one for the wailing and gnashing of teeth of some (the twitterati seem particularly enraged (impotently) at the moment) it would be very pleasing to hear something from the club, some crumb of comfort, some hint of when the end of this ridiculous saga might be. Even a formal comment of ‘no comment’ would be something. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really, what else?

They could be openly critical of Morris but then they would find the door shut in their face. But perhaps such criticism is called for now - compared with the exploits of some of our previous owners, are we not in our worst state ever?

The lack of comment from the club etc is an indication of just how badly they have screwed things up.

55 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Or to quote Steve Weinburg at the University of Missouri

"Reporting, through one's own initiative and work product, matters of importance to readers, viewers, or listeners."

There's been none of that at the Derby Telegraph for years.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I wonder if they have asked Mel or a club representative to come on air and explain what they can? I haven’t heard they have or haven’t but I know I’d shout it from the roof tops if I was in their position if they have. 
Maybe they have done that? 

Do you think they'd be clever enough to think of that?! I seem to remember whenever we have these type of threads, there was one on Twitter too. The local journos say they keep asking...

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Good for him,at least he has the balls to call them out and try and provoke a response.

29 minutes ago, DRBee said:

They could be openly critical of Morris but then they would find the door shut in their face. But perhaps such criticism is called for now - compared with the exploits of some of our previous owners, are we not in our worst state ever?

The lack of comment from the club etc is an indication of just how badly they have screwed things up.

If you don't know what is actually happening with the club and the EFL all you can do is surmise - how far do you want them to go on no real evidence? We've seen on the forum just how wild some ideas about what's happening can be! Who do they help? 

1 hour ago, JG400 said:

Investigate ? Call in favours ? Use contacts ? Not simply ring the press office at Derby County and say 'any news' , Perhaps I have watched too much Lou Grant or Press gang 

Perhaps you have. Do you have a copy of Championship Manager too? ?