Derby county value

Oldben

There are clearly a lot of negatives in terms of buying us but there are positives for new owners too - 

The market for players is probably at its lowest so can build a decent enough team to get us midtable on a small budget

The wage bill is at its lowest for a very long time

Our academy is producing a lot of potential first team players

Fans are allowed back in the stadium which is extra income

13 minutes ago, ram59 said:

It depends upon what you describe as foundations. You could argue that the club's stadium, training facilities, academy and fan base are not bettered by anyone in the championship. All are premier league standard, but unfortunately the first team management and players aren't, atm.

Villa were a similar basket case, probably worse, losing around £90M the season they got promoted. New owners took a gamble and thanks to Lampard's negative tactics at Wembley, they've seen a fine return for their investment. The only money needed at Derby is to spend on the right management and players, which needn't be much, relatively speaking, when you consider the potential reward.

The difference between Villa and ourselves was Villa still boasted a side capable of promotion.

If you’re a business buyer, you should only enter on 3 occasions. Either a trend upwards where you ride the momentum, a consolidation period where a financial input results in an upward trend or when the business is at rock bottom and needs a re-set.

Derby fit into neither category. We’re still trending downwards and we haven’t hit rock bottom yet unlike say Bolton and perhaps Ipswich.

Anyone taking over Derby now will continue to lose money and likely face relegation with a poor squad before being able to turn it around.

6 hours ago, Oldben said:

What is the value of Derby county.

Rumour has it Mel is looking to sell for 50 million, he's not getting that.

So what is Derby county worth at present, I would like Mel to sell Derby for 20 million because I think it will encourage a buyer.

Mel might hold out for an amount but how much, 30 million.

Mel has destroyed Derby by selling anyone he could get money for, under a transfer embargo, he's guilty of making a team incapable of competing at the championship level. 

A team that's of no interest to buyers.

In its current form who would pay 50 million for the club.

Mel is paying the wages, the moment he stops, for evey month wages are not paid, Derby lose 3 points, is that correct?

So if he did not pay for 2 months, that's 6 points and Derby are relegated.

With the team Derby have now its highly likely the club are relegated, so that doesn't help Mel.

It's time he sold for less, but how much?

Can I ask why this worries you ? 

Things will work themselves out in time

Whilst of course we are all very invested in the future of our club, ultimately this is a private matter for Mel to resolve.

He has said before that he will do right by the club, and I believe him. He has invested £200m of his own money, as proof. 

Its not in his interests for the club to be made worthless and, whilst on football matters he has shown himself to be sorely lacking, at least on business matters we can rely on the fact that he knows what he is doing.

Lets be patient and let this play out 

23 minutes ago, Bianoic said:

at least on business matters we can rely on the fact that he knows what he is doing.

Mel made most of his money on one speculative punt on a software start up - even if he is a genius in that arena he has shown little ability to run a football club effectively. You might appreciate that he has put his fortune on the line for this club, which is more than I would do, but that doesn't mean it has been a wise decision and I can't think of many who wouldn't wish him to act differently if he had his time again (including, likely, himself).

We are all Derby fans, so we are all obviously going to think we are the best buy out there - which is part of the reason we are where we are. But, at time of writing, Derby County only have two attributes worthy of valuation - the academy and the fanbase. Outside of that we are mired with debt, uncertainty and a rebuilding programme that only makes sense to a Derby fan. In any other capacity there are more appealing options - many of which are much more available today than they were eighteen months ago.

Sadly, the triceratops poo of an OP is exactly that - thinking that Mel is just going to chop £30m off the asking price (that's a three followed by seven zeroes boys and girls) to get us sold quickly is, frankly, well triceratops poo. And, as others have said, the club is only worth what someone is willing to pay, which is currently nuppence.

32 minutes ago, Bianoic said:

Can I ask why this worries you ? 

Things will work themselves out in time

Whilst of course we are all very invested in the future of our club, ultimately this is a private matter for Mel to resolve.

He has said before that he will do right by the club, and I believe him. He has invested £200m of his own money, as proof. 

Its not in his interests for the club to be made worthless and, whilst on football matters he has shown himself to be sorely lacking, at least on business matters we can rely on the fact that he knows what he is doing.

Lets be patient and let this play out 

And here lies a question. If he’s invested £200 million of his own money. How do we have debt???

I guess what he has done is guarantee loans, which we actually know the club can’t pay back as we have no assets of saleable value. In truth it’s not in Mels interest for the club to go under as i imagine he is liable for the loans. If rumours on the sale are believed he’s now looking for the new investors to take on liability of these loans. 

5 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Mel made most of his money on one speculative punt on a software start up - even if he is a genius in that arena he has shown little ability to run a football club effectively. You might appreciate that he has put his fortune on the line for this club, which is more than I would do, but that doesn't mean it has been a wise decision and I can't think of many who wouldn't wish him to act differently if he had his time again (including, likely, himself).

We are all Derby fans, so we are all obviously going to think we are the best buy out there - which is part of the reason we are where we are. But, at time of writing, Derby County only have two attributes worthy of valuation - the academy and the fanbase. Outside of that we are mired with debt, uncertainty and a rebuilding programme that only makes sense to a Derby fan. In any other capacity there are more appealing options - many of which are much more available today than they were eighteen months ago.

Sadly, the triceratops poo of an OP is exactly that - thinking that Mel is just going to chop £30m off the asking price (that's a three followed by seven zeroes boys and girls) to get us sold quickly is, frankly, well triceratops poo. And, as others have said, the club is only worth what someone is willing to pay, which is currently nuppence.

What's it costing Mel to run the club on a monthly basis.

If the clubs relegated he gets 10 to 20 million max for the club

15 minutes ago, FrostedRam said:

And here lies a question. If he’s invested £200 million of his own money. How do we have debt???

I guess what he has done is guarantee loans, which we actually know the club can’t pay back as we have no assets of saleable value. In truth it’s not in Mels interest for the club to go under as i imagine he is liable for the loans. If rumours on the sale are believed he’s now looking for the new investors to take on liability of these loans. 

Running a footy club for six years costs more than £200m ? 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

The difference between Villa and ourselves was Villa still boasted a side capable of promotion.

If you’re a business buyer, you should only enter on 3 occasions. Either a trend upwards where you ride the momentum, a consolidation period where a financial input results in an upward trend or when the business is at rock bottom and needs a re-set.

Derby fit into neither category. We’re still trending downwards and we haven’t hit rock bottom yet unlike say Bolton and perhaps Ipswich.

Anyone taking over Derby now will continue to lose money and likely face relegation with a poor squad before being able to turn it around.

How do you determine 'rock bottom'?

Both Ipswich and Bolton are still in the EFL, many clubs have fallen further, Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Yeovil, just to name a few. Derby could be argued to be at a 'rock bottom' stage atm. The squad is paper thin, but on the plus side the players' combined wages are probably at the lowest level in real terms for many many years. The 'value' of the club is also at it's lowest for many many years. But, for an investor prepared to take a gamble, we are only a good run of results away from the promised land of the Premier League, unlike your Ipswich Town, who have to achieve two promotions.

Derby have repeatedly been one of the top teams turnover wise in the championship, when you take out parachute payments. What has damaged the profitability of the club, is successive gambles on high transfer fees and high player wages over the years. That has now come to an end, with the exception of one or two players. The suppressed player market should mean that massive transfer fees will be much less likely at Championship level, whilst revenues should be able to return to their above average levels for a championship team.

It's all down to MM accepting a realistic offer for the club, maybe with a 'bonus' if the club was to get promoted within a certain period of time.

12 minutes ago, ram59 said:

How do you determine 'rock bottom'?

Both Ipswich and Bolton are still in the EFL, many clubs have fallen further, Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield, Yeovil, just to name a few. Derby could be argued to be at a 'rock bottom' stage atm. The squad is paper thin, but on the plus side the players' combined wages are probably at the lowest level in real terms for many many years. The 'value' of the club is also at it's lowest for many many years. But, for an investor prepared to take a gamble, we are only a good run of results away from the promised land of the Premier League, unlike your Ipswich Town, who have to achieve two promotions.

Derby have repeatedly been one of the top teams turnover wise in the championship, when you take out parachute payments. What has damaged the profitability of the club, is successive gambles on high transfer fees and high player wages over the years. That has now come to an end, with the exception of one or two players. The suppressed player market should mean that massive transfer fees will be much less likely at Championship level, whilst revenues should be able to return to their above average levels for a championship team.

It's all down to MM accepting a realistic offer for the club, maybe with a 'bonus' if the club was to get promoted within a certain period of time.

I think for a club of Derby's size, bar any points deduction while in League One, that is rock bottom for us. Basically where the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland and Sheffield United found themselves.

Derby are still trending downwards. Even if new owners came in, they would be losing money immediately and would have to spend just to keep their head above water this season. It will take years to reverse the mess currently created.

I feel rock bottom for a club of Derby's size is midtable League One. Similar to the likes of Charlton, Ipswich, Sunderland, Sheffied United, Sheffield Wednesday. Unless of a crazy points deduction like what happened at Bolton, I can't see any lower than that as our wage budget, even after serious cut-backs, would in League One dwarf most the others.

With a clean slate in League One, we could play several academy players plus free transfers and compete well.

It's looking like we can't do that at Championship level. Of course as fans we'd rather stay up. League One would be horrible. But if I'm an investor, why buy Derby now? It's surely better to buy a completely demolished house at a cheaper price than a more expensive standing house that's falling to bits without any resistance.

6 hours ago, 1967RAMS said:

The club’s debts massively outweigh its assets. Nobody will be stupid enough to pay anything for it. Mel will not recoup any of his massive outlay. I am pretty sure debts can’t just be written off by an owner any longer. I fail to see any option other than administration. Take the hit and just hope someone will buy us out of it and start afresh 

Can you give the breakdown and where you got the information from please?

You've stated a few times that you think administration is the best option but seem to have very little, if any, understanding of finances. 

3 hours ago, Big Trav said:

It’s a club who don’t own their stadium or training ground. Have over 50 million worth of debt. 9 senior players. A threadbare league 1 stands red squad. Mel wants someone to buy a house at full price when it’s needs at least 2x more money spent on doing it up 

Source?