Messi leaves Barca

maxjam

I love Messi and love the way Barcelona used to be, identify with the local culture, play great football with local kids, they are not that anymore. I also wonder if they are using the La Liga as an excuse to finish the Messi era in a very covenient way. La Liga have now lost Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi, selling those overseas TV rights isn'f going to be easy.

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I love Messi and love the way Barcelona used to be, identify with the local culture, play great football with local kids, they are not that anymore. I also wonder if they are using the La Liga as an excuse to finish the Messi era in a very covenient way. La Liga have now lost Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi, selling those overseas TV rights isn'f going to be easy.

Wouldn’t La Liga have come out and denied it by now? 

19 minutes ago, David said:

Wouldn’t La Liga have come out and denied it by now? 

Possibly but they it is the league and they have responsibility to all the clubs so may not be in a position to respond or pander to specific clubs no matter how big and powerful they are. All those big clubs who were involved in the European league are more powerful than football authorities despite their small setback especially in Spain

I'll lose quite a lot of respect for Messi if he ends up at PSG. I know modern football revolves around money and I guess it's the sensible option, but it's comfortably the easiest option. I've often criticised Ronaldo for being Mr Statpad, but Messi against Ligue 1 defenders is a complete waste of time. I'd honestly have respected him more if he'd have ducked off to the MLS. I now doubly hope PSG do not win the CL.

42 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'll lose quite a lot of respect for Messi if he ends up at PSG. I know modern football revolves around money and I guess it's the sensible option, but it's comfortably the easiest option. I've often criticised Ronaldo for being Mr Statpad, but Messi against Ligue 1 defenders is a complete waste of time. I'd honestly have respected him more if he'd have ducked off to the MLS. I now doubly hope PSG do not win the CL.

That’s where is off. Such a waste.

3 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Well he's moved from a job that banked him about a million a week all in to a 2 year deal with PSG worth £25m a year net plus a £25m signing on fee.  Tough times for him bless. 

Apparently he'll be getting paid €550,000 a week AFTER tax, so €52,000,000 a year gross.

11 hours ago, Anon said:

I'm not really sure where else in Europe he could have gone? The only real clubs who could possibly entice him as he wants to win trophies are Real Madrid, which was an obvious no-go, Juve who already have their own superstar, Bayern who don't buy over 30s, Man Utd who have already spent their summer budget on Sancho/Varane, Chelsea who have limited spending after last year's £250m splurge on Werner/Havertz/Chillwell/Ziyech/Mendy or City who clearly want Kane after just spending £100m on Grealish. 

Let's be honest, Spurs were never an option were they? And he doesn't fit in Liverpool's transfer policy either.

PSG were basically the only big club left who could afford him as they've mainly only signed free transfers this summer in Ramos, Donnarruma and Wijnaldum. 

Ironically, Messi probably already has more 'closer' pals at PSG than he did at Barca anyway after Suarez left. Seems like it was the easiest option both sporting, financially and probably for his family too.

Not sure why he's gone to PSG apart from the money tbh. He might as well have gone back to his boyhood club in Argentina for a few years and been an absolute hero tbh. He literally cannot win anything else in Europe as it is and is he ever going to be as happy playing for another European team that isn't Barcelona? 

9 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Apparently he'll be getting paid €550,000 a week AFTER tax, so €52,000,000 a year gross.

Sheer madness.  And to think we can't sign anyone on tuppence ha'penny. Messi is probably the best footballer ever, but in my mind it's just money for him.  He's earned over $1bn in his career, has a net worth of some £300m, owns various homes around the world, has all sorts of property investments, owns a $15m private jet, has a fleet of super cars including a Ferrari F430 Spider, a Pagani Zonda, a Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale, and an Audi R8 Spyder. I'm sure he'll be adding to all that over the next year or two with PSG. 

Not at all envious. Nope. 

9 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not sure why he's gone to PSG apart from the money tbh. He might as well have gone back to his boyhood club in Argentina for a few years and been an absolute hero tbh. He literally cannot win anything else in Europe as it is and is he ever going to be as happy playing for another European team that isn't Barcelona? 

He obviously wants to win the champions league again. Once Man City were out after signing Grealish, PSG was the obvious option. 

Has this put more pressure on Grealish to succeed at City now with the timing of his arrival and Messi's departure?

Obviously Grealish is younger and will have resale value and years on the clock, but City are in the same boat as PSG, they want to win the Champions League. 

If you was offered the option between the two to help you win the CL, clearly you would take Messi even at 34, I can't believe for a second that Pep would have chosen Grealish.