Messi leaves Barca

maxjam

I think the only places he could end up now are PSG, Man City or a return to Barca if they work miracles and shift players like Coutinho, Pjanic, Dembele, Umtitti and maybe even Griezmann. Unless he decides to accept missing out on huge sums of money and return to finish his career in Argentina like he suggested he'd like to do a fair few years back.

21 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Club statement reads that the contract was agreed but finances won't allow

Wonder where he will end up

So

’we’ll offer you $10billion.’

‘Sounds good, I’ll stay.’

’oh wait, we can’t actually afford $10billion.’

What a pointless contract negotiation. 

12 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

So

’we’ll offer you $10billion.’

‘Sounds good, I’ll stay.’

’oh wait, we can’t actually afford $10billion.’

What a pointless contract negotiation. 

They’re in a right mess, even worse than ourselves.

The players they’ve managed to sign this summer can’t actually be registered.

They could well be pottering around in mid-table in the not too distant future. 

Edited by cannable

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Economic obstacles? FFS he could probably buy Barcelona. I'd chose Curtis Davies over this money grabber EVERY day of the week.

It's not the player that's in question here. Barcelona are in a complete mess. They need to get £172m off the wage bill. 

Barcelona can generate huge sums through sponsorship and merchandising to cover Messi's wages, similar to how Juventus have been able to afford Cristiano Ronaldo, the issue is their inability to comply with FFP.

They're an incredible club who have been run disastriously for the past six years. That 2015 MSN side was so good, they resorted to spending an absolute fortune trying to replace Neymar who is another superstar who could generate all sorts of other income for the club.

Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele, Pjanic, Andre Gomes, Paco Alcacer, Paulinho, Malcolm, Lenglet, Neto and Braithwaite cost them over £600m and not one player would have made the Barcelona teams between 2009-2016. 

If it wasn't for Messi, Barcelona wouldn't have won any trophies over the past three years. 

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If it wasn't for Messi, Barcelona wouldn't have won any trophies over the past three years. 

That wasn't the point. He could play for them for free and pay his tax bill. But he doesn't. He's bled them dry.

So I'd rather have Curtis Davies at our club, who shows his concern for the staff employed by the club.

I'm sure Messi doesn't know where his next meal is coming from. And I don't care if people think he's within his right s to demand as much as he can.

Edited by RoyMac5

Also, say what you like about Liverpool, Chelsea and especially City's spending in recent years, but at least they have a decent young squad to show for it and trophies to boot.

Barcelona without Messi aren't even an elite side anymore. Frankie De Jong, Pedri and Ter Stegen are probably their only real assets right now, with Jordi Alba, Pique and Sergio Busquets a few years past their best.

Griezmann and Coutinho are playmakers in their own right. Why sign them when they already have the best playmaker in the world? As for the rest, they'd probably struggle to get in a top six side in England

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That wasn't the point. He could play for them for free and pay his tax bill. But he doesn't. He's bled them dry.

So I'd rather have Curtis Davies at our club, who shows his concern for the staff employed by the club.

I'm sure Messi doesn't know where his next meal is coming from. And I don't care if people think he's within his right s to demand as much as he can.

Why would he play for free? He doesn't owe Barcelona anything. I believe he has offered to halve his wages, and they're still unable to come to an agreement.

His current wages are astronomical but Barca surely earn more than their fair share due to his presence.

You surely don't buy players or pay silly wages if you aren't going to profit from them, either financially or in a sporting sense. It's not ike Barca were held to ransom over his wages. If Messi was pushing the bar too high, Barca could have sold him for a world record fee (probably over £300m) prior to signing his last contract. 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Messi is a fantastic player and his numbers are still extremely good but he's not going to get any better. His salary even for someone as good as he is really is monstrous. If he really wanted to stay there he could have let's be honest, offering to halve your 70 million dollar a year salary is a nice gesture but for a club that financially is in the toilet he could have done more than that if he wanted to. He could play for free and he'd still earn an absolute fortune in sponsorships. Research tends to suggest after 60k a year the relationship between money and happiness delinks and he's not going to run dry anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Bet he doesn't leave.

Yeah this could be just a strategic announcement to pile pressure on the powers that be at La Liga to change the rules in the hope they don’t want to lose the star of the show. 

They’ve even got players like Aguero who they can’t register!