How many Rams fans are there ?

hintonsboots

Difficult to quantify I know, but bare with me.

I’m loving the “fans not from Derbyshire” topic by @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dongand the thread already contains some great stories. It led me to think about how many Rams fans there are both around the UK and worldwide. Many older supporters have the common link of the Clough era, and the dominance of the club in the 70’s, and this has been passed down the through generations in a lot of families. The local support is also massive.

I live in a small town in the South West, but I know dozens of Rams, even in a tiny rural community. If I try to translate this, I would estimate perhaps 300k Rams fans worldwide, surely enough for a takeover ???? What would others estimate??

10 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I’m loving the “fans not from Derbyshire” topic by @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dongand the thread already contains some great stories. It led me to think about how many Rams fans there are both around the UK and worldwide. Many older supporters have the common link of the Clough era, and the dominance of the club in the 70’s, and this has been passed down the through generations in a lot of families. The local support is also massive.

I live in a small town in the South West, but I know dozens of Rams, even in a tiny rural community. If I try to translate this, I would estimate perhaps 300k Rams fans worldwide, surely enough for a takeover ???? What would others estimate??

Over here in Ireland I have met at least 100/120 different rams fans on flights over to games 

22 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Suppose it depends what you mean by fan? I.e. active supporter or someone who identifies as a Derby fan & follows results and not much more.

Derbyshire has a population of over 1m & the club has pockets of support in Staffordshire (most notably Burton), Notts & North Leicestershire. Add in exiled Rams & 300k probably not a bad guess but dont believe a large proportion of those would be active (or certainly not active enough to get involved in a takeover)

Re South West, remember a few years ago being told by a Leeds fan that he used to work in PP ticket office & was struck by how many fans we had in that part of the country (compared to other areas outside Derbyshire). Couldn't think of a logical reason why.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

9 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

If, fan "Which football team(s) do you support?" ...

... I would still find it hard to believe that there are 300,000 fans.

Worldwide would think there’d be many 55+ year old fans who worshipped one or more players from the Clough era. But most will by now be no more than half fans

Edited by kevinhectoring

6 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Worldwide would think there’d be many 55+ year old fans who worshipped one or more players from the Clough era. But most will by now be no more than half fans

So basically your saying I’m an endangered species ?

20 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Maybe we make a whole fan between us!  Somewhat insulting but hey ho.  In Uk jumped on plane to get back under the new rules

That's good. I've finished my summer hols already, so it'll be a while before I can get over. Two years in November. Enjoy your visit. Will you be going to any games?

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

In that case ... maybe the website and Rams TV should give more prominence the Clough statue ... if that might be a seeking point to distant fans who could be re-engaged.

We could have a "Clough membership" only open to those aged 55+ - and designed for "fans" unlikely to actually attend any games.

Maybe a "Clough Membership" could gives access to the replay of the Derby Forest games - and a draw for some Clough themed memorabilia. And a link to video of a Clough era victory on their birthday?! Maybe a discount on one it two matches per year - but with a meal beforehand - making up for the discount.

That sort of thing. Things that don't actually cost anything - but may enable us to engage and connect with long lost fans from that era - a significant number of the 300,000, if your calculations are correct.

It can only benefit the club - but be a nice option too.

And some of these distant fans may well be well heeled, and be open to paying for a top package with hotel for the Derby Forest match.

Maybe ... they could be invited to join a Clough-Membership-only area on the forum, where they can relive the glory days with fellow fans from that era, without being burdened by us younger whipper snappers!

If 5% of a proportion of 300,000 take up a £50 membership, that's a certain amount of money!

The reality is - if they are lapsed fans, but have fond memories, maybe visiting the website every two or three years when they do a search to see how we are getting on - then being given a chance to rekindle those memories will carry quite a value for some, and the opportunity may be appreciated.

On 01/08/2021 at 21:06, hintonsboots said:

Swing and a miss at small south west town....Honiton?

There's a small pocket of rams fans in Honiton/ottery/sidmouth area and another pocket in Okehampton/Launceston areas as well

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Swing and a miss at small south west town....Honiton?

There's a small pocket of rams fans in Honiton/ottery/sidmouth area and another pocket in Okehampton/Launceston areas as well

Dont you dare forget about us down here in Bodmin, LOL   my local pub has a Derby shirt on the wall owned by another Derby fan and his brother my son and 3 more that drink up their support the mighty Rams. I know of a fan in Newquay that travells home and away every match, even midweek, and their are loads of fans in Truro, 

Our games on sky sports a couple of years were averaging 270k per game. Obviously depends who we are playing, cost, sky sports, etc and you have to take into account opposition fans, but 300k probably isn't a bad guess. Our highest viewership was against the gumps - pushing 400k viewers, but again a lot of that will be red dogs.

24 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Dont you dare forget about us down here in Bodmin, LOL   my local pub has a Derby shirt on the wall owned by another Derby fan and his brother my son and 3 more that drink up their support the mighty Rams. I know of a fan in Newquay that travells home and away every match, even midweek, and their are loads of fans in Truro,