The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

42 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Unless it was that bit about liking the job at the pirelli, although Burton is a poo-hole ?

Not many people go back into Burton for a second time, once is usually enough. 

Fair play to the guy, mad man, but fair play.

3 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

15 th June 96, I was there, fantastic atmosphere, the scots were offering stupid money for tickets. Our seats were in line with the 18 yard line, to this day, still the best goal live I have seen. Genius. Hope it is a cracker tonight, cant wait. 

I presume you have a soft spot for England after all your years living here? And does that soft spot go away when we play France?

Austria last night... they did know they weren't winning? 

Seen a few too many teams that look like they don't fancy it. Is it because they're hoping to be one of the least crap teams to go through. 

At 2-0 down and Netherlands playing entirely on the counter and looking defensively vulnerable in both games, Austria took their leisurely time trying to walk the ball in. Wtf?

41 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Austria last night... they did know they weren't winning? 

Seen a few too many teams that look like they don't fancy it. Is it because they're hoping to be one of the least crap teams to go through. 

At 2-0 down and Netherlands playing entirely on the counter and looking defensively vulnerable in both games, Austria took their leisurely time trying to walk the ball in. Wtf?

Thats the big problem with the expanded tournament, one win can be just enough to get through (2016 Portgual got through with 3 draws)

1pt against Ukraine would most likely take them through, would also take Ukraine through in 2nd. Be a few games like that, you wonder whats the point in playing!

5 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Best 3rd place teams as it stands

image.thumb.png.5e0ca1eeceea27bae8eb612c7cdfb077.png

Urgh I don't like that then. No wonder they were happy to attack in 3's and 4's at 2-0 down. 

They should do it on points and GF not GD. Might make it better? 

Horrible seeing teams ok with losing

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Urgh I don't like that then. No wonder they were happy to attack in 3's and 4's at 2-0 down. 

They should do it on points and GF not GD. Might make it better? 

Horrible seeing teams ok with losing

Yea its really flawed.

Austria probably weighed it up and decided it was better to avoid conceding another than try to score.

They'd be better off just expanding to a full 32 team tournament just to keep it competitive

World cup is going up to 48 teams and will have the same problem

13 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Yea its really flawed.

Austria probably weighed it up and decided it was better to avoid conceding another than try to score.

They'd be better off just expanding to a full 32 team tournament just to keep it competitive

World cup is going up to 48 teams and will have the same problem

I really don't like the format with 24 teams and the 4 out of 6 third placed in groups go through just seems such a clumsy mechanism.

Even having 8 groups of 3 teams with 2 going through to a round of 16 knockout would be better. Personally though I'd just have it as 16 teams for the Euros. by the time it's 32 teams it's a crazy amount of games. Although 32 teams might allow more regular participation from Scotland.

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I really don't like the format with 24 teams and the 4 out of 6 third placed in groups go through just seems such a clumsy mechanism.

Even having 8 groups of 3 teams with 2 going through to a round of 16 knockout would be better. Personally though I'd just have it as 16 teams for the Euros. by the time it's 32 teams it's a crazy amount of games. Although 32 teams might allow more regular participation from Scotland.

Its a difficult balance of keeping the tournament open to smaller nations without diluting the quality too much

Its great having new nations like North Macedonia and Finland qualify for the first time

I think if you're going to expand it you may as well go to 32, each team doesn't play anymore games than a 24 team tournament but does maintain competitiveness in the groups.

Theres probably a clever solution I have not thought of

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Ticketless Scottish fans in their thousands seem to be enjoying their selfs in London at the minute. So much for go home if you don’t have a ticket! 

It was always going to be a struggle. Let's just hope everything thing is in good spirits and no one does anything dangerous or gets hurt. On the flip side, if the match was at Hampden there might have been one or two England fans without tickets come up just for the craic.

The plank walking in front of the motorbike yesterday was very lucky.