No news

sage

I was thinking after Sunderland lost 2-0 to Lincoln that relegating Derby wouldn't make much commercial sense with regards to the Championship. Hypothetically, you keep Wycombe up over Derby - it would leave just two teams in the Championship capable of bringing in big viewing figures: Forest and WBA. 

It weakens the EFL's pull going into the final 24 months of their contract with Sky. I mean, obviously, a lot can change but that must play on the mind. The EFL really need Sunderland, Ipswich and Sheff Wed to get it together next season. A big casuality from the Premier League would help too. They really did well out of Leeds being stuck in the league for so long. 

Edited by Ambitious

53 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Obviously it will be an older billionaire who grew up watching Roy Macfarland & co who's whole life's work has been aimed at making enough money to right the wrongs done to us to deny us winning the European Cup in the 70s. 

46 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Thank you. I think i am going to start buying euromillions tickets. Imagine winning enough to be able to make a difference to our position

But why? A billionaire cannot spend money. We cannot spend money unless we earn it. Unless said billionaire sells shirts for £1m each and buys us all one, there’s no way to get money into the club! Mel did it by buying the stadium from himself, and look how people treat him now! 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

But why? A billionaire cannot spend money. We cannot spend money unless we earn it. Unless said billionaire sells shirts for £1m each and buys us all one, there’s no way to get money into the club! Mel did it by buying the stadium from himself, and look how people treat him now! 

Ah sorry for trying to be a light hearted on here. I wont do it again

29 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Ah sorry for trying to be a light hearted on here. I wont do it again

Not that at all. Please be light hearted. Just think some are easily misled into expecting things that can’t/won’t happen. ?? 

12 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Why do you want a minted owner? We are not allowed to spend money. Spending too much money, whether the owner can afford to or not, is the catalyst for this whole debacle 

'Cos a gazillionaire can pay off all debt, thus removing a huge cloud that's hovering overhead, they can also ensure that the club owns P.P. and the training ground.  Then they can get the accounts in order and get them filed with the EFL, at the same time  sweetly smiling and making concillatory noises thus lifting any embargo. They must surely also be able to spend some money on stuff that doesn't impact on FFP or whatever it's called this week.

All the above will make the manager's job a little more straight forward and make us more attractive to new players and sponsors.

Failing that, we can have a whip-round and a jumble sale, but I think plan 'A' is the better option.

2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

'Cos a gazillionaire can pay off all debt, thus removing a huge cloud that's hovering overhead, they can also ensure that the club owns P.P. and the training ground.  Then they can get the accounts in order and get them filed with the EFL, at the same time  sweetly smiling and making concillatory noises thus lifting any embargo. They must surely also be able to spend some money on stuff that doesn't impact on FFP or whatever it's called this week.

All the above will make the manager's job a little more straight forward and make us more attractive to new players and sponsors.

Failing that, we can have a whip-round and a jumble sale, but I think plan 'A' is the better option.

Having a superich owner would allow us to explore other commercial options and developments you would imagine, and technically they can spend whatever they like as long as they get us promoted before the P&S merry go round catches up with us.

Not saying that's a good idea ? but it's an option some clubs have used to great effect lol.

A billionaire is a far better option than a millionaire because of the ongoing commitment. 

To run Derby County in the most 'sustainable' way requires £20m per season of equity to be put in. By sustainable I mean keeping us in the top half with a shot at the play offs, staying inside P&S limits and not building up debt. Actual economic sustainability (breaking even) is impossible as it just means relegation. 

P&S allows owners to pump in £13m per season. The academy costs £5m per season leaving a £2m per season for other spending outside P&S, eg stadium improvements. 

As other posters have noted, a billionaire could quickly remove any debt and bring the stadium back into the club's ownership. Plucking a figure out of the air to illustrate the point, if it costs £80m to buy the club & stadium and clear the debts, then £20m to run, that's £100m straight away. Then £20m every year. A Euromillions jackpot winner would be broke before the end of the 4th year.

Then there's the inbuilt P&S gamble clause. As long as we kept wages under control, we could spend £50m on players the second the embargo was lifted. Even better, it's an each way bet. If we get promoted, we don't have to worry about P&S rules. If we don't we can sell those players on to recoup the cash and get inside the limits...as long as they don't get injured, prove to be poor players, the transfer market doesn't crash etc.

A billionaire is more likely to be able to properly fund this sort of promotion push. It is inherently risky until they get rid of P&S, but probably has more chance of getting us promoted than hoping to sneak up through an occasional play off finish. With very careful planning, this could be the most sustainable model. I can see club's like ours going through cycles - 2 seasons of spending big, followed by 2 seasons of steep cost cutting.

Edited by CornwallRam