Shay Given

Ibby

Is it just me that thinks by the time a goalie plays for the first team at Derby or has played 15 years as a professional elsewhere before getting here, the only coaching required should be someone smashing a hundred shots at them in training. Similarly that should be the only coaching the striker smashing the shot should need.

I find this whole intense training requirement of professionals in there 30's a bit weird and a few hundred grand a year down the toilet.

I saw a Gary Neville interview where he said “ We always knew we could cross the ball as near to the goal as we liked because Given refused to come off his line”. That was tells you a lot. And it does seem he hangs around the Man City bench when trophies are being given out. I agree - a waste of money.

On 20/05/2021 at 13:14, BucksRam said:

Do you have a source - your mate, your mum, someone down the road?  I've had a bit of a Google (other search engines are available) and can't find diddly.  Just wondered where you heard this.......

Anything?  No source, no thread? 

On 20/05/2021 at 01:20, Carl Sagan said:

We've had problems in the goalkeeping department for the whole time Given has been with us. Of course Eric Steele was excellent, as was Zuby. Yes we had a brief spell when we became dangerous at set pieces, but then we stopped that for unfathomable reasons. I appreciated his loyalty when Frank and Jody buggered off, but at the same time I was hoping he'd have gone with them. 

Yes we need a clear out. If we are to move forward then Rooney and his coaching staff will need to leave. My guess is that new owners will come in (at some point in the future), give Wayne & co.  a dozen or so games, the performances will continue to be lousy and the axe will fall. 

15 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes we need a clear out. If we are to move forward then Rooney and his coaching staff will need to leave. My guess is that new owners will come in (at some point in the future), give Wayne & co.  a dozen or so games, the performances will continue to be lousy and the axe will fall. 

Can you give me the lottery numbers as well? 

On 20/05/2021 at 22:46, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Is it just me that thinks by the time a goalie plays for the first team at Derby or has played 15 years as a professional elsewhere before getting here, the only coaching required should be someone smashing a hundred shots at them in training. Similarly that should be the only coaching the striker smashing the shot should need.

I find this whole intense training requirement of professionals in there 30's a bit weird and a few hundred grand a year down the toilet.

Whether you agree with it or not, the goalkeepers' role is so much different to what it was, even just 5 years ago and it's way beyond just stopping shots. The understanding a keeper has with the rest of his defence, their positioning for set pieces etc as a unit is crucial to how successful that team is at minimising chances for the opposition.

9 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Whether you agree with it or not, the goalkeepers' role is so much different to what it was, even just 5 years ago and it's way beyond just stopping shots. The understanding a keeper has with the rest of his defence, their positioning for set pieces etc as a unit is crucial to how successful that team is at minimising chances for the opposition.

Although I agree that the role of a goalkeeper has changed a lot over the last few years, your examples are probably the main constants. Shot stopping is obviously the most important, but organising the defence has always been a priority. Peter Shilton said in his book that the games where he felt he had best performed were the ones where he hadn't actually made a save. As a modern keeper/sweeper he would have been a disaster, even the rule where he couldn't pick the ball up from a back pass would give me nightmares. His kicking as I recall was terrible. He hardly reached the half way line. Absolutely fantastic keeper though.

On 24/05/2021 at 21:51, Wolfie20 said:

Based on what coaching ability exactly?

Based upon the fact that he is a goalkeeper with significant experience. Is Given any different to that?  You have to start coaching somewhere, and if there is a vacancy here, then why not Grant.