Rooney judged harshly vs Nigel Clough

Mostyn6

Rooney had it tougher by a long way, than Nigel inherited. Yet Nigel credited with “saving” Derby from relegation when they were never in danger! 

There are some curious folk suggesting bringing Nigel Clough back to replace Rooney! 

Rooney HAS actually saved Derby from relegation. 

He deserves more respect than he’s getting and certainly should be judged at least equally, if not better than Nigel Clough. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Rooney had it tougher by a long way, than Nigel inherited. Yet Nigel credited with “saving” Derby from relegation when they were never in danger! 

There are some curious folk suggesting bringing Nigel Clough back to replace Rooney! 

He deserves more respect than he’s getting and certainly should be judged at least equally, if not better than Nigel Clough. 

Think the point is, it could've been done a lot sooner.

But today isn't the time for that argument, let's just wallow in relief.

Cheers

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Cardiff saved us from relegation and the boys having passion today because I saw no management tactics on display there.We just ran around a lot and for once it worked out into a draw.

We have not won in fifteen games mate.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Are you kidding me??? This a sarcastic post? Rooney has saved us? I feel like Ted form line of duty. 

It's been a terrible season but it's done now.

Rooney will be manager next season so lets see what he can now do. He's already said after this season we'll play a certain way and not the game to game tactics of this season.

He needs to have backing too and get his own squad together.

Sorry, I need to add, better than Nigel Clough. The man who brought though Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick?? Show some respect!! Wayne has, in my opinion done the complete opposite of Clough and seriously damaged the young talent we have. He had, Sibley, Bird, Knight, all touted for bigger things and they have regressed massively under Rooney. 

this maybe the poorest post on here for a long time. 

2 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

Maybe bookmark the thread so when we go up next season under Rooney then it can be argued but currently no...Nigel streets ahead IMO.

The fact Cardiff scored doesn’t mean Rooney should not lose his job. (He sounded like a frightened child before that match )

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The fact Cardiff scored doesn’t mean Rooney should not lose his job. (He sounded like a frightened child before that match )

I honestly don't know what to think, its been an horrendous run. To be honest sorting the managers position is the least of our worries, if Mel doesnt sort out whats happening behind the scenes i dont think it will matter whos in charge next season, it will be another struggle.

The most important change this summer wont be the manager...its whos in charge, either someone who can take us forward, or Mel deciding to give it another go.

Obviously my reference to us going up was somewhat tongue in cheek

2 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Let's not confuse 2 points out of 24 for any managerial quality

If anybody would have said you would stay up last game but not be allowed to spend any money buying players, the day Cocu got sacked i would have snapped your hands off.  He has not had a good end to the season.  He might not be the manager to take us forward but the one man to blame for this mess is the man at the top.

6 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

If anybody would have said you would stay up last game but not be allowed to spend any money buying players, the day Cocu got sacked i would have snapped your hands off.  He has not had a good end to the season.  He might not be the manager to take us forward but the one man to blame for this mess is the man at the top.

Oh I agree completely that Mel needs to shoulder his share of the blame but that doesn't mean Rooney shouldn't have done better with the squad at his disposal.

Cocu unfortunately had a style that didn't suit the league or the quality of players available in this league, however his philosophy was clear.  

This Derby squad is the worst we have had for quite a while, but even then is better than the results this season show.  Rooney has demonstrated no philosophy, nor any tactical ability.  I hate to say we have played like a one man team but if we didn't have Bielik, we would have been down.

Archived