Rooney judged harshly vs Nigel Clough

Mostyn6

38 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Rooney had it tougher by a long way, than Nigel inherited. Yet Nigel credited with “saving” Derby from relegation when they were never in danger! 

There are some curious folk suggesting bringing Nigel Clough back to replace Rooney! 

Rooney HAS actually saved Derby from relegation. 

He deserves more respect than he’s getting and certainly should be judged at least equally, if not better than Nigel Clough. 

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can only assume the OP is on a wind up. Rooney hasn't saved us. Marlon Pack saved us. Also he's clearly forgotten the state the club was in when Nigel Clough took over.

Wayne Rooney is the worst Derby manager since Phil Brown. We've won one game in 15...that's a third of a season. Anyone wanting him to stay is clearly obsessed with his celebrity as there's no footballing rationale for doing so.

I’ll answer you all in one post. LEARN to read. I’m talking about what Clough did with what he inherited from Jewell and how he’s regarded as a saving us from relegation! Rooney inherited far worse and actually did save us! 

As for Marlon Pack saving us, that’s a nonsense. This is a 46 game season. Why is Pack’s goal more important than Waghorn’s penalty. 

anyone who praises Clough for saving Derby in 2009, but not Rooney for this season is both a hypocrite and lacking in integrity. 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’ll answer you all in one post. LEARN to read. I’m talking about what Clough did with what he inherited from Jewell and how he’s regarded as a saving us from relegation! Rooney inherited far worse and actually did save us! 

I'll answer you in one word......

Wrong.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

As for Marlon Pack saving us, that’s a nonsense. This is a 46 game season. Why is Pack’s goal more important than Waghorn’s penalty. 

anyone who praises Clough for saving Derby in 2009, but not Rooney for this season is both a hypocrite and lacking in integrity. 

Clough inherited a huge wage bill and a side that hadn’t won in basically a whole calendar year. Hugely different, however I didn’t rate Clough too highly as a manager nor do I rate Rooney. 

Just now, IslandExile said:

I'll answer you in one word......

Wrong.

How? 

who inherited a worse league position? Who inherited a worse squad? Who was given worse backing in transfer window? Who had worse resources all around? Who had worse environment and challenges? 

FACT is that Wayne Rooney’s half season deserves more credit as an achievement than Nigel Clough’s. 

How? 

who inherited a worse league position? Who inherited a worse squad? Who was given worse backing in transfer window? Who had worse resources all around? Who had worse environment and challenges? 

FACT is that Wayne Rooney’s half season deserves more credit as an achievement than Nigel Clough’s. 

As bad as our current squad is, the one Clough inherited is far worse. Both had zero resources and came into awful environments. 

1 minute ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Clough inherited a huge wage bill and a side that hadn’t won in basically a whole calendar year. Hugely different, however I didn’t rate Clough too highly as a manager nor do I rate Rooney. 

What relevance is the wage bill on that first 6-7 months? Seriously, how is that an influence on things? As for the not winning, not true. I remember us beating Sheff United under Jewell in about September. 

How? 

Fifteen games without a win,six losses in a row and one draw.

Simply terrible,clueless football to watch and we have also witnessed the regression of our star young players on Sibley and knight...players who were scoring for fun last season.

I'm sorry but we have gone backwards in Rooney,I can see not one area of improvement.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

What relevance is the wage bill on that first 6-7 months? Seriously, how is that an influence on things? As for the not winning, not true. I remember us beating Sheff United under Jewell in about September. 

So we’d won a handful of games in about 50 games, great. And we were skint, in the championship with a massive wage bill and in dire need of cutting the wage bill down (as a necessity), as well as staying competitive in the league. 

Rooney hasn’t had anything to spend granted, but he hasn’t come in and been told to lose the likes of Wisdom, Lawrence ASAP because of their high wages.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Rooney had it tougher by a long way, than Nigel inherited. Yet Nigel credited with “saving” Derby from relegation when they were never in danger! 

There are some curious folk suggesting bringing Nigel Clough back to replace Rooney! 

Rooney HAS actually saved Derby from relegation. 

He deserves more respect than he’s getting and certainly should be judged at least equally, if not better than Nigel Clough. 

Nah....

Just now, Longeatonram2020 said:

As bad as our current squad is, the one Clough inherited is far worse. Both had zero resources and came into awful environments. 

? you on a crack pipe? 

Hulse, Albrechtsen, Leacock, Green, Commons, Pearson, Teale, McEveley, Davies, Bywater, and even Savage would ALL get into this team! Bloody hell, even Feilhaber, Sterjovski, Kazmierczac and Ellington would get into this team! 

only Clarke would get into the SQUAD that NC inherited! 

1 minute ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Rooney hasn’t had anything to spend granted, but he hasn’t come in and been told to lose the likes of Wisdom, Lawrence ASAP because of their high wages.

So remind me, who did Clough have to sell in that half season? 

The praise heaped on Clough by those that feel he did a good job isnt for what happened in 2009, its for what happened in the following seasons having been given the task of getting rid of overpaid under performing players and replacing them with cheaper better alternatives while trying to stay in the league and then become competitive.

He did all of that, he just wasnt as good a coach as McClaren who was able to take the very very good squad clough had built and take them on.

Im not particularly anti Rooney, i probably think the issues lie elsewhere rather than with him, but for me at this stage Clough had a far more positive impact on Derby County.

@MrPlinkett I have read the words many times over the years, and as recently as yesterday that “Nigel Clough saved Derby from relegation”.  If that is referring to 08/09, then Rooney deserves more than equal praise. If that is referring to 09/10, then Clough deserves er..... criticism for being in a relegation battle.. if he was! 

I’m too happy today to get in to this...but Rooney saved us from nothing. It was the flip of a coin if we went down today and I’m fairly certain he would have left if we went down so I don’t think he should stay just because we stayed up.

Haven’t we got something like 7 points out of the last 45?!

Just now, Mckram said:

I’m too happy today to get in to this...but Rooney saved us from nothing. It was the flip of a coin if we went down today and I’m fairly certain he would have left if we went down so I don’t think he should stay just because we stayed up.

Haven’t we got something like 7 points out of the last 45?!

That many? ?

21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hmmmm. Disagree completely. But you keep going down this path. ?

Archived