Rooney judged harshly vs Nigel Clough

Mostyn6

43 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

And then we have a six month wait whilst the new players gel and the new manager beds in ??‍♂️ 

I don't recall that happening when Mac took over,the response was instantaneous.

You just need the right manager,one who is also a great coach and gets the best out of what he has at hand.

It's easy to make promises about what you will do in the future and excuses about what you haven't done in the past....the proof is in what you do right now.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Look you know that it's been an almost impossible start for Rooney, so you stop the nonsense. 

Trying to offer an olive branch Roy Mac, a get out clause for you, a fresh start. I would take it if I were you ?

Based on his comments after the match to both SkySports and RamsTV, Rooney's been strung on and on this season with the takeover, wage debarcal, transfer embargo and EFL case(s). The club has been turned into a punching bag by the media and with social media playing such a big role now, the players will have been facing the vitriol directly even if we aren't in Pride Park. He's also been hit with a crazy injury list and a squad that 25% loan players, and loan players that likely weren't his first choice.

Overcoming these challenges is no mean feat and it was obvious to me that Rooney's been biting his tongue for a long time. The crap he's probably been dealing with behind the scenes is something we should see on Footballers Wives, not in reality. For me, I'd say keeping Derby up from where we were is on a par, if not better than Cloughs first season for these reasons.

Jury is still out for me on whether Rooneys the right man longer term, but let him have some time to build a squad and identity with a solid foundation behind him and no danger of unpaid wages or transfer embargos, or not knowing who his new boss is. Let's not forget the Sheik apparently spoke with Rooney and was directing decisions. That's not normal.

10 hours ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

Based on his comments after the match to both SkySports and RamsTV, Rooney's been strung on and on this season with the takeover, wage debacle, transfer embargo and EFL case(s). The club has been turned into a punching bag by the media and with social media playing such a big role now, the players will have been facing the vitriol directly even if we aren't in Pride Park. He's also been hit with a crazy injury list and a squad that 25% loan players, and loan players that likely weren't his first choice.

Overcoming these challenges is no mean feat and it was obvious to me that Rooney's been biting his tongue for a long time. The crap he's probably been dealing with behind the scenes is something we should see on Footballers Wives, not in reality. For me, I'd say keeping Derby up from where we were is on a par, if not better than Cloughs first season for these reasons.

Jury is still out for me on whether Rooneys the right man longer term, but let him have some time to build a squad and identity with a solid foundation behind him and no danger of unpaid wages or transfer embargos, or not knowing who his new boss is. Let's not forget the Sheik apparently spoke with Rooney and was directing decisions. That's not normal.

This is also spot on. Afterall even Cocu couldn't deal with it all at the end, yet it was meant to be easy for Rooney?!

9 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

2 play off finals and 2 play off semi finals would count as being in danger of going up for me . Clough for all his virtues never threatened the top 6. 

I wouldn’t argue with that. Like Cocu and Rooney, he inherited a squad that needed vast improvement. I think McLaren, Mark 1, and Rowett had slightly better squads to work with. Lampard, with his 3 loanees, probably had the best set of individuals.

It’s probably just my take on things but I never fancied us to get through those games, even the QPR game, which was one of the most disappointing afternoons I’ve ever had at a football match. After the sending off, I presumed QPR would kick the ball over the stand for another 30 minutes and then sneak it on penalties. Perhaps my glass is always half empty - but in defence,  I have been supporting since 1963?

23 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Sorry, I need to add, better than Nigel Clough. The man who brought though Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick?? Show some respect!! Wayne has, in my opinion done the complete opposite of Clough and seriously damaged the young talent we have. He had, Sibley, Bird, Knight, all touted for bigger things and they have regressed massively under Rooney. 

this maybe the poorest post on here for a long time. 

You are of course absolutely correct in confessing that yours is the poorest post for a long time. 

Nigel Clough, who I am a great admirer of, had the luxury of bringing Hughes and Hendricks in to play with seasoned players. In the main, Wayne Rooney has had to select younger players because of what he had available. They were bound to regress after being brought in to the team, that is what most young players do. It is clear that Rooney has tried to rest them when he can, but not always possible. 

As a manager he was given a duff hand to play. Thank goodness he can have the luxury of picking his own players before next season. 

Because we played well enough to avoid a relegation battle under Clough he’s worse than Rooney who we survived a relegation battle because of a very last minute Cardiff equaliser on the very last day? Makes Sense.

Not sure that how Rooney is judged in relation to Clough is worthy of note, nor do I think such judgements have been widespread. One win in 15 and bottom of the league in the form charts seem the more prevalent argument and if there's a sensible counter argument to those who suggest those stats are damning, I've yet to read it.