Festival and Gig Tickets

Bob Mash

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Ban resale. 
Stop touts from fleecing genuine fans. 

Resell only through the ticket site you purchased them for face value + booking fee. 

Don't even need the touts to get fleeced nowadays. I'll be shocked if Ticketmaster don't use their "dynamic pricing" system for these gigs. Who needs touts when the ticket sellers do it themselves?

Can't be any worse than buying Taylor Swift tickets (obviously I love her music). Pre sale lottery faff, then you are in a 2hr virtual queue. Praying the website doesn't crash. Tickets are in the basket. Credit card payment going through, except it doesn't go through and you are back to the start. Wasted half a day sorting those damn things out.

38 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Ask yourself why Oasis seem so important right now, when they are 90s indie band who split up 15 years ago. How many new British bands have come on the scene since 2009 who could play big shows like this and generate the same level of economic activity? I'm struggling to think of any, and that should be a worry for anyone who cares about live music

I heard a fascinating bit of trivia the other day that the only band to have had a number one UK single in the 2020s so far is The Beatles.

I think a lot of this is a consequence of shifts in how we access music nowadays. There's a twist on the old Andy Warhol adage of "everyone will be famous for 15 minutes" that in a heavily-online society, "everyone is famous to 15 people". I think there's truth to that. In the 90s, media seemed more centralised around a few shared spaces, so trends from an area you weren't particularly aware of could more easily end up on your radar. Nowadays, it seems like that's been replaced by a lot of insular microcommunities. I always thought Top of the Pops going off air was both a symptom and expediter of that trend. People stopped tuning in, because they could access the music they wanted to hear and see more readily through the internet, so why sit through what you're not interested in? So everyone goes their own ways into their own community, and never (or at least rarely) shall they meet. Acts that can somehow bridge those gaps seem to be becoming increasingly rare and exclusive. I think the days of "big" bands like we used to know them is probably over, and instead we'll probably see a greater proliferation of smaller acts with their own insular crowds. I think the biggest worry is that there's not enough support available for acts that will have careers as small-to-midsize venue acts, or for the venues themselves. 

1 hour ago, JfR said:

I heard a fascinating bit of trivia the other day that the only band to have had a number one UK single in the 2020s so far is The Beatles.

I think a lot of this is a consequence of shifts in how we access music nowadays. There's a twist on the old Andy Warhol adage of "everyone will be famous for 15 minutes" that in a heavily-online society, "everyone is famous to 15 people". I think there's truth to that. In the 90s, media seemed more centralised around a few shared spaces, so trends from an area you weren't particularly aware of could more easily end up on your radar. Nowadays, it seems like that's been replaced by a lot of insular microcommunities. I always thought Top of the Pops going off air was both a symptom and expediter of that trend. People stopped tuning in, because they could access the music they wanted to hear and see more readily through the internet, so why sit through what you're not interested in? So everyone goes their own ways into their own community, and never (or at least rarely) shall they meet. Acts that can somehow bridge those gaps seem to be becoming increasingly rare and exclusive. I think the days of "big" bands like we used to know them is probably over, and instead we'll probably see a greater proliferation of smaller acts with their own insular crowds. I think the biggest worry is that there's not enough support available for acts that will have careers as small-to-midsize venue acts, or for the venues themselves. 

I think not having to really buy music is a big deal too.

When I was at school/uni etc, buying a cd was a big purchase. Part of choosing what to buy was around what was happening at the time. What your mates might recommend or what you read in nme or saw on top of the pops/chart show etc.

My kids are now 14 and have access to nearly all songs ever on Spotify. Their favourite artists are some of the biggest and/or best of all time...Springsteen, Dylan, Smiths, Oasis, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Pixies, Stone Roses, Rolling Stones, Elvis etc. It too me years to listen to as many different artists as they have.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I'm definitely trying to get them into brand new music. It's just the opposite way round to me!

1 hour ago, JfR said:

I think the days of "big" bands like we used to know them is probably over, and instead we'll probably see a greater proliferation of smaller acts with their own insular crowds. I think the biggest worry is that there's not enough support available for acts that will have careers as small-to-midsize venue acts, or for the venues themselves. 

Absolutely - and that was my point. The danger is that in 20-30 years, when most these "big bands" are no longer around, suddenly all these arenas, and the industry that currently makes a tidy profit from mega-tours will have no bands left able to command that audience

It's weird seeing Fontaines DC playing an arena tour only 5 years after they started out, when a lot of their contemporaries haven't made that leap - despite being as good as or better. Something  feels a little forced and unnatural about it. Probably exactly what I'm on about - the industry desperately needs a "new U2", but Fontaines are nowhere near (yet IMO)

8 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

exactly. seen them 7 times including when they supprted bmx bandits at the warehouse in derby.

let  the younger generation see them. 

Nice. I saw The Killers support British Sea Power at Colchester Arts Centre back in the day. 

Oasis pre sale ballot here if you haven't seen.

https://oasis.os.fan/presaleballot/

As much as I'd love to go, reality is with ticket, travel, hotel, spending, I'd be looking at more than a season ticket at Derby money for just a one night. Just can't justify it, or even afford it.

Plus, I look at Heaton Park and my bladder is twitching at the thought of needing a piss, I'm too old to be pissing into an empty can and with my guts, I know a number 2 would be needed at some point and you can't start launching turds into the crowd as well without feeling ever so slightly guilty it could end up in the hood of a Stone Island parka.

1 hour ago, Day said:

As much as I'd love to go, reality is with ticket, travel, hotel, spending, I'd be looking at more than a season ticket at Derby money for just a one night. Just can't justify it, or even afford it.

Plus, I look at Heaton Park and my bladder is twitching at the thought of needing a piss, I'm too old to be pissing into an empty can and with my guts, I know a number 2 would be needed at some point and you can't start launching turds into the crowd as well without feeling ever so slightly guilty it could end up in the hood of a Stone Island parka.

Now you really are boasting. A turd solid enough to "launch", if only.

11 hours ago, Day said:

For Wembley, if you drive, you could park up somewhere with easy train access into Wembley ie Stanmore, Watford, Hemel, Milton Keynes etc and not too hard to park for free. You could then get a cheap Premier Inn/Hotel out of London. If you were sitting down too, toilet access really easy.

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

For Wembley, if you drive, you could park up somewhere with easy train access into Wembley ie Stanmore, Watford, Hemel, Milton Keynes etc and not too hard to park for free. You could then get a cheap Premier Inn/Hotel out of London. If you were sitting down too, toilet access really easy.

True. Just everything about London is a bit ugh, if there was one city or town I’d be happy to never visit again it would be London.

23 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

The music industry is pretty screwed right now, with punters being normalised into thinking it's OK to splurge a huge sum on one or two mega gigs a year, while grass-roots venues struggle to stay open and new artists struggle to break even

Ask yourself why Oasis seem so important right now, when they are 90s indie band who split up 15 years ago. How many new British bands have come on the scene since 2009 who could play big shows like this and generate the same level of economic activity? I'm struggling to think of any, and that should be a worry for anyone who cares about live music

I can’t give a definitive answer about what has happened the past 15-20 years, but I think I can give something of a personal insight as I was playing in bands around Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham, Derby and all over the county since 2005(ish) up to 2020( slowly working my way back up to doing live stuff again now after a decent break),but I think I experienced a lot of stuff that’s had a knock on effect to where the music industry is now. I could write a book in all honesty but I’ll try and bullet point for now

• The big one for me, was the end of gigs upstairs at pubs culture. Mainly due to economics and pubs selling off these rooms to make flats. Essentially there’s less gigs and gigs that happen now are no longer cheap. So what used to happen is that people at the pub or who are just in town after work might punt on a £3 entry gig. As a musician you get better because you are playing in front of different people and learning what works. Now gigs that happen are in ‘DIY’ places or obscure venues and minimum entry will be £6-8. So you play in front of the same people and diminished returns and you all ends up feeling like you are going through the motions. 

• The rise of MySpace was a blessing but ultimately has been a curse as well. There was never a better tool for getting your music accessible, but also so much music was accessible it meant everyone is influenced by everything they come across. What I mean is, real ‘top’ bands have always grown out of their environment. What was happening in the city, what bands they were playing with, what was being sold in the record stores. Theyd take all those components and eventually make music that stood out and was unique with character. We have so much access to so much music through online streaming that you are painting with much broader brush strokes and with it any type of music can sound like it comes from anywhere. A Manchester band sounding like they are from the west coast of America loses all authenticity. 

• I don’t want to sound classist, but so many people in bands nowerdays are from comfortable backgrounds and have no life experience to write about. Fresh out of university and believe themselves to be a bit different. Not to say that they don’t have a place and the bands are rubbish, because there will be decent,  its just gets back to seeing them on the same bills for £8 a time eventually means diminishing ticket returns. This goes in lots of other ways. Lyrically it’s uninteresting because again, it’s broad brush strokes but also these bands tend to have little ambition aside getting on 6 music and touring because really, it’s a hobby they can afford to have. On a related note, there’s a heck of a lot of gate keeping within bands and venues, but thats for another day.

Theyll be other things, but even just as bullet points this is getting a bit long. I hope next summers gig spark a bit of a boom and people realise that we need to nurture our music scenes a bit more. 

17 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I can’t give a definitive answer about what has happened the past 15-20 years, but I think I can give something of a personal insight as I was playing in bands around Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham, Derby and all over the county since 2005(ish) up to 2020( slowly working my way back up to doing live stuff again now after a decent break),but I think I experienced a lot of stuff that’s had a knock on effect to where the music industry is now. I could write a book in all honesty but I’ll try and bullet point for now

• The big one for me, was the end of gigs upstairs at pubs culture. Mainly due to economics and pubs selling off these rooms to make flats. Essentially there’s less gigs and gigs that happen now are no longer cheap. So what used to happen is that people at the pub or who are just in town after work might punt on a £3 entry gig. As a musician you get better because you are playing in front of different people and learning what works. Now gigs that happen are in ‘DIY’ places or obscure venues and minimum entry will be £6-8. So you play in front of the same people and diminished returns and you all ends up feeling like you are going through the motions. 

• The rise of MySpace was a blessing but ultimately has been a curse as well. There was never a better tool for getting your music accessible, but also so much music was accessible it meant everyone is influenced by everything they come across. What I mean is, real ‘top’ bands have always grown out of their environment. What was happening in the city, what bands they were playing with, what was being sold in the record stores. Theyd take all those components and eventually make music that stood out and was unique with character. We have so much access to so much music through online streaming that you are painting with much broader brush strokes and with it any type of music can sound like it comes from anywhere. A Manchester band sounding like they are from the west coast of America loses all authenticity. 

• I don’t want to sound classist, but so many people in bands nowerdays are from comfortable backgrounds and have no life experience to write about. Fresh out of university and believe themselves to be a bit different. Not to say that they don’t have a place and the bands are rubbish, because there will be decent,  its just gets back to seeing them on the same bills for £8 a time eventually means diminishing ticket returns. This goes in lots of other ways. Lyrically it’s uninteresting because again, it’s broad brush strokes but also these bands tend to have little ambition aside getting on 6 music and touring because really, it’s a hobby they can afford to have. On a related note, there’s a heck of a lot of gate keeping within bands and venues, but thats for another day.

Theyll be other things, but even just as bullet points this is getting a bit long. I hope next summers gig spark a bit of a boom and people realise that we need to nurture our music scenes a bit more. 

“It’s a **** business, glad I’m out of it”

IMG_0084.jpeg

34 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I'm hoping that too. Sadly in that twitter thread from the Music Venue Trust which noted how many of the venues Oasis played on their first tour have closed down, pretty much all the replies are from people either saying "oh I went to that gig" or arguing with the accuracy of the list. Very few seem to actually get the point it's making 

I also saw a scary few facts about the death of "the band" in general. So far in the 2020s UK Singles Chart, there has only been 3 weeks (out of 238 possible weeks)  at number one by a band. One of those was the Beatles and one was the Radio 1 Live Lounge All-stars (the other was Little Mix!). So essentially no actual current traditional band.

In the current Top 40 albums AND singles charts there isn't a single entry from a band that was formed in THIS CENTURY

Lots of reasons for all this, but there are a lot of parallels with football. Big money ruins grass roots, and greed will blinker the people making the money until its too late

1 hour ago, Day said:

True. Just everything about London is a bit ugh, if there was one city or town I’d be happy to never visit again it would be London.

If you get the train in and out to Wembley from somewhere, you will barely know you have even been there.

Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of London, I'll show you something to make you change your mind! (That song was about showing someone London was not all ugh, right!?)

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

I’m ready for the free for all  on Saturday morning , hopefully get my ticket secured early on

Send Tom Hanks GIF

Are you going to aim for a specific venue? Or happy to take whatever you can get?