vs Brummies (H) - Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

?

Thanks for spotting my error... it would actually be Mac6: player, assistant, manager, manager (2), technical director, assistant (2)

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's a nightmare trying to make the jigsaw pieces fit, most are in the wrong box and lots of pieces are missing.

It helps putting the pieces in the correct position. Ebosele LW, McDonald RM, Buchanan LM, Edmundson DM, Sibley RW/LW/CF, Knight RW/LW/CF, Lawrence CF, Gregory LW, Kazim LW/RW, Watson LW, etc...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Thanks for spotting my error... it would actually be Mac6: player, assistant, manager, manager (2), sporting director, assistant (2)

It helps putting the pieces in the correct position. Ebosele LW, McDonald RM, Buchanan LM, Edmundson DM, Sibley RW/LW/CF, Knight RW/LW/CF, Lawrence CF, Gregory LW, Kazim LW/RW, Watson LW, etc...

I just think we're clutching at straws thinking Mac would want to put his neck on the line - again. And as for round pegs and round holes, well they've all been everywhere at some stage it seems and yeah I can't think it's helped. I think it's been to allow as much experience on the pitch as possible? Maybe, but it hasn't worked. Don't know what will except better players, Bielik and Gregory firstly, but others too.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I just think we're clutching at straws thinking Mac would want to put his neck on the line - again. And as for round pegs and round holes, well they've all been everywhere at some stage it seems and yeah I can't think it's helped. I think it's been to allow as much experience on the pitch as possible? Maybe, but it hasn't worked. Don't know what will except better players, Bielik and Gregory firstly, but others too.

We have Championship quality players. They need instructions to be kept simple and consistent on a game to game basis. Thinking it hasn't helped is more than putting it mildly. But if it's to keep as much experience out there as possible, then you'd put Wilson on the bench come on the left wing rather than Watson or Ebosele. Instead of putting Edmundson at DM we should have played a back 5. 

I think both of our managers this season have fallen into the same trap of trying to set our team up just to counter the perceived strengths of the opposition. I have no idea why this strategy is even considered as possibly effective as it just nullifies any potential threat your own team might have.

Rooney stopped doing it for a short time and we looked threatening again but he quickly reverted back to it and we continue to regress.

I actually still believe we have some more than decent players here, easily good enough for this league. But the above strategy just by its definition means we are chopping things around for every game and the players really do not have a clue what is going on.

I would much prefer us to settle on our own style, get other teams worrying about how to play us, and if that then means we are not good enough well so be it, at least we would find out while trying to play decent footy.

I still firmly believe we have always had the players here to be mid table at worse - just my opinion.

I still think we can stay up, but If we keep up this plan of trying to just neutralise the opponent we might not see another goal or point.

Just give us 3 games where the team are allowed to go out and play, take the shackles off and just see what this team can do.

While we've had only 1 point from our last 8 away games, we have had 14 from our last 8 home games, so hopefully we might do alright in our next two home games, at least.
Yes, I am getting a bit desperate for things to be optimistic about at this point.

I think Rooney and the coaches have got to think a way to simplify the playing style and get us on the front foot from the off. We can't do anything too complex in terms of transition in defence-attack as the players are making too many errors so we've got to come up with a way to minimise those occurrences. Again we didn't look threatening in open play against Preston, all our chances came from set pieces and we lack any serious penetration. 

Thanks to the Preston result a draw is really no good for us especially as we've still got to go to Swansea. Birmingham have just won safety but are in terrific form so it could be that they'll relax now they've earned survival or absolutely get at us as they're full of confidence. Sheffield Wednesday only need to pick up 1 more point than us in the next 2 to have a shot at overtaking us so a win is absolutely essential- anything less and I think it'll be curtains for us. 

Obviously we can still stay up, Sheffield Wednesday can't get near 50 points, I'm adamant Rotherham won't, but we can. We'll have to win 2 out of the 3. To be honest I just can't see it happening. That performance tonight worried me. 

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Obviously we can still stay up, Sheffield Wednesday can't get near 50 points, I'm adamant Rotherham won't, but we can. We'll have to win 2 out of the 3. To be honest I just can't see it happening. That performance tonight worried me. 

Just one win and a draw or two might be enough. But these are dark days 

the worrying thing is: it’s not lack of effort (nor in my view talent, but the injuries have hurt us). It’s more that they seem to have lost confidence in Rooney. A change of manager now might well be beneficial but surely it won’t happen.

The managerial problems would have less impact if we had some leadership on the pitch. Our last hope of that was perhaps Curtis.  Since then it is lacking

I don’t think Marshall should start again, nor Wisdom even if fit. And I’m not convinced we are now at our best starting CKR.  Irony is we’re so reliant on the loanees, Edmundson, Clarke and lately Twinkle Toes.  

We can still do this 

No words for last night. Insulting level of fight from a team in the position we are in.

I still believe Rotherham won't get more than 46 points max. They've had their two best chances to make up ground on us with home games vs Brum and Cov, and peed them away.

One more win for us or even a couple of draws could end up being enough. 

12 minutes ago, Robert Earnshaws Workrate said:

No words for last night. Insulting level of fight from a team in the position we are in.

I still believe Rotherham won't get more than 46 points max. They've had their two best chances to make up ground on us with home games vs Brum and Cov, and peed them away.

One more win for us or even a couple of draws could end up being enough. 

Rotherham imploding is our last hope as I can’t see us picking up any more points. Unfortunately I still think they will get the 4 points they need to overhaul us.

52 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Rotherham imploding is our last hope as I can’t see us picking up any more points. Unfortunately I still think they will get the 4 points they need to overhaul us.

sheffield are only 4 points behind us now and play us in the final game , they could over take us final game

11 hours ago, Yani P said:

Glass half full...

Brum - win tomorrow safe nothing to play for.

Swansea - in the play offs can't get auto can't drop out nothing to play for.

Sheff Weds - Get to last game already relegated nothing to play for.

For a team fighting for their league survival these would be dream fixtures.. 

Glass half empty (and sadly probably the reality right now)

Our team don't turn up...don't wear the shirt with pride...drop their heads..don't score...don't look like they give a fk...

All above you cant say is correct apart from ,the worrying thing is our last two games have been against teams that little to play for yes there was a mathematical chance of relegation for them but very unlikely given the teams below them and we have lost both games.

I just cant see were we are going to get any more points this season let alone a win ,last night performance was an absolute shocker probably one of the worst displays this season,i can see Rotherham getting a result tonight as Neil Warnock as already lambasted his players in public after there defeat to QPR at the weekend saying there already on the beech and he as told players in there squad already they will not get new contracts

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

the worrying thing is: it’s not lack of effort (nor in my view talent, but the injuries have hurt us). It’s more that they seem to have lost confidence in Rooney. A change of manager now might well be beneficial but surely it won’t happen.

I'm not even sure it's a lack of confidence in Rooney, I just don't think they know what they are supposed to be doing.  In the early days of Rooney, he talked a lot about simplifying things and just getting players to do what they are good at.  In the last few weeks we've played 3 at the back, 4 at the back, 2 up front, 1 up front, none up front, 2 in midfield, 3 in midfield.  We've sat deep and tried to break on teams, we've tried to play out from the back and dominate possession, we've played direct to a targetman, we've had a false 9 dropping off the front. I have no idea if Rooney thinks he's trying to out-think the other manager tactically or if he's just plucking things out at random and hoping something works, but the players just look lost to me.

4 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I'm not even sure it's a lack of confidence in Rooney, I just don't think they know what they are supposed to be doing.  In the early days of Rooney, he talked a lot about simplifying things and just getting players to do what they are good at.  In the last few weeks we've played 3 at the back, 4 at the back, 2 up front, 1 up front, none up front, 2 in midfield, 3 in midfield.  We've sat deep and tried to break on teams, we've tried to play out from the back and dominate possession, we've played direct to a targetman, we've had a false 9 dropping off the front. I have no idea if Rooney thinks he's trying to out-think the other manager tactically or if he's just plucking things out at random and hoping something works, but the players just look lost to me.

I think he's struggling to find a blend that works. The players are so inconsistent that bits that work one week don't work the next. 

He promotes subs who do well then when he starts them, they're rubbish. 

He has tried just about every combination up front and they're all poor. 

Bird, Shinnie and Knight are all 'busy' but neither creative nor likely to score a goal. 

I think anyone would be stumped as to who to pick. 

Byrne, Clarke and Shinnie would probably make most people's teams and Roberts if he had better support. 

After that, it's juggling turds. 

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I think he's struggling to find a blend that works. The players are so inconsistent that bits that work one week don't work the next. 

Bird, Shinnie and Knight are all 'busy' but neither creative nor likely to score a goal. 

I think anyone would be stumped as to who to pick. 

Byrne, Clarke and Shinnie would probably make most people's teams and Roberts if he had better support. 

After that, it's juggling turds. 

Yep ? comes to mind generally...

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

But then you look at things like the Blackburn game - we start off playing quite well with that fluid front 4, CKR comes on and we lose all that fluidity and struggle. The next game CKR starts and we struggle again.  Louie Watson plays really well coming on as a sub in midfield. Starts the next game stuck on the left wing, gets hauled off at half time and basically never appears again.  Gregory and Sibley come on at half time against Brentford and make a real difference, because we get bodies near CKR. The next game we're playing 343 with Sibley stuck out wide and no second striker and we lose.  We don't even seem to be understanding what's working (and why) so we can try and replicate it, 

Archived