vs Brummies (H) - Matchday Thread

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

But then you look at things like the Blackburn game - we start off playing quite well with that fluid front 4, CKR comes on and we lose all that fluidity and struggle. The next game CKR starts and we struggle again.  Louie Watson plays really well coming on as a sub in midfield. Starts the next game stuck on the left wing, gets hauled off at half time and basically never appears again.  Gregory and Sibley come on at half time against Brentford and make a real difference, because we get bodies near CKR. The next game we're playing 343 with Sibley stuck out wide and no second striker and we lose.  We don't even seem to be understanding what's working (and why) so we can try and replicate it, 

There are countless examples of this as there are countless examples of us not recognising where things aren't working and sticking to it regardless, the primary example being keep putting Knight at #10.

3 minutes ago, JfR said:

Still think we'll win this

Nobody at the club has the stomach for the fight. That was obvious last night.

Unless something remarkable happens (perhaps the team will do some training or something), we are going to lose this match.

I watch Birmingham on Sunday. They are unspectacular, average but organised and resolute. Far too good for us.

And they scored from a set piece too.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Unless something remarkable happens (perhaps the team will do some training or something), we are going to lose this match.

I watch Birmingham on Sunday. They are unspectacular, average but organised and resolute. Far too good for us.

And they scored from a set piece too.

That’s the way I see it too. Preston and Blackburn are bang average teams but we somehow made them look quite good and were beaten by them. I see the same again on Saturday....

I seem to remember for some odd reason, Sunderland away? When we got relegated from the Premier League initially and we played a Youthful team. I'm sure (I was young at the time and listened on the radio whilst in my dads car, lovely childhood memories) we put up such a fight. Marvinn Robinson with the goal and Phillips for them. 

Just do the same now. See Whos up for a scrap in the dressing room and who wants to play for that Badge. It'll probably be more of the Youth players than our senior ones, but just go for it. We are relegated, we all know it sensibly. 

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Did you think we would beat Blackburn and Preston too??

No, not really. I thought we had half a chance of getting something from one of them, but we weren't favourites or anything. A home game against a side we've already beaten 4-0 this season, though? We should be winning that. I don't care about the "Bowyer bounce," it's still fundamentally the same side. 

3 minutes ago, JfR said:

No, not really. I thought we had half a chance of getting something from one of them, but we weren't favourites or anything. A home game against a side we've already beaten 4-0 this season, though? We should be winning that. I don't care about the "Bowyer bounce," it's still fundamentally the same side. 

If I was a betting man and putting allegiances aside, my money would be on Brum. I don’t see us favourites to beat anyone currently...

I wonder if it'll be 15-20 mins of attempted keep-ball barely crossing the halfway line, one half chance for us spooned over followed by conceding a soft goal from a set piece due to a total lack of discipline and concentration. Half time 1-0 down. Marginal improvement 2nd half, 1 more half chance which we don't take just before they get their second with a routine ball in from wide. Final 5 mins a defender to draw a routine save without really testing the their keeper.

Cue post-match interview from WR talking about the quality in the squad and how we need to show 'character'...zzzzzz

3 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

I wonder if it'll be 15-20 mins of attempted keep-ball barely crossing the halfway line, one half chance for us spooned over followed by conceding a soft goal from a set piece due to a total lack of discipline and concentration. Half time 1-0 down. Marginal improvement 2nd half, 1 more half chance which we don't take just before they get their second with a routine ball in from wide. Final 5 mins a defender to draw a routine save without really testing the their keeper.

Cue post-match interview from WR talking about the quality in the squad and how we need to show 'character'...zzzzzz

Sounds about right.....and that 100% we will not get relegated...

23 minutes ago, JfR said:

No, not really. I thought we had half a chance of getting something from one of them, but we weren't favourites or anything. A home game against a side we've already beaten 4-0 this season, though? We should be winning that. I don't care about the "Bowyer bounce," it's still fundamentally the same side

The same players but trained and organised differently...

Now there's an idea.

24 minutes ago, JfR said:

I don’t think you can take the 4:0 as much of a guide as to how Saturday will pan out. Weren’t we gifted a couple of goals  Also, they may be fundamentally the same team but so are the pre and post Bowyer sides. Also, our team included Bielik and our confidence is at an all time low. If we can scrape any kind of lucky win I’ll be happy. A winner from the most dubious penalty decision of all time in the 95th minute will do.

I get there's a lot of pessimism, and I'm not going to tell anyone they shouldn't feel that way, but personally I just can't look past the fact that this is Birmingham City: the side that let us rock up to there's with 10 goals in 20 games and put 4 past them; the side that let us win after 4 losses in a row as the last game of last season; the side that turned up at ours last season with us having not won at home and only days after "Joiners Gategate," ended up gifting us two goals, missing a penalty and losing.
If we lose this, then I'm absolutely with you guys and I'm fully signing up to the "we're getting relegated" club, but as things stand I'm holding onto my last bit of hope and trusting that our semi-reasonable home form and Birmingham's history of giving us a helping hand when we're in the excrement will get us just about enough of a performance to get something from this.

54 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

I seem to remember for some odd reason, Sunderland away? When we got relegated from the Premier League initially and we played a Youthful team. I'm sure (I was young at the time and listened on the radio whilst in my dads car, lovely childhood memories) we put up such a fight. Marvinn Robinson with the goal and Phillips for them. 

Just do the same now. See Whos up for a scrap in the dressing room and who wants to play for that Badge. It'll probably be more of the Youth players than our senior ones, but just go for it. We are relegated, we all know it sensibly. 

Poom, Barton, Zavagno, Evatt, Higginbotham, Riggott, Bolder, Lee, Boertien, Christie, Strupar.
Robinson on for Strupar, Twigg on for Boertien, Jackson on for Zavagno

Poom, Barton, Lee and Strupar the old heads. The rest 20-22 (Twigg just 17)

7 minutes ago, JfR said:

I get there's a lot of pessimism, and I'm not going to tell anyone they shouldn't feel that way, but personally I just can't look past the fact that this is Birmingham City: the side that let us rock up to there's with 10 goals in 20 games and put 4 past them; the side that let us win after 4 losses in a row as the last game of last season; the side that turned up at ours last season with us having not won at home and only days after "Joiners Gategate," ended up gifting us two goals, missing a penalty and losing.
If we lose this, then I'm absolutely with you guys and I'm fully signing up to the "we're getting relegated" club, but as things stand I'm holding onto my last bit of hope and trusting that our semi-reasonable home form and Birmingham's history of giving us a helping hand when we're in the excrement will get us just about enough of a performance to get something from this.

If Rotherham lose tonight I sort of believe we can stay up with no credit to ourselves - if they win tonight, I can’t see anything but our relegation. 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That’s the most disappointing thing,even Rotherham who are an awful,dirty team give 100% and have fight.

Birmingham are dross too but will brush us aside...I agree.

Edited by Coneheadjohn

24 minutes ago, JfR said:

I think we all live in hope...