Relegation watch

Spanish

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

I'd be far more concerned if Rotherham had won.

I'd be perfectly content with 21st at the end of the season. Obviously 'happy' isn't the right word - we are in a serious mess, but this season, staying up is everything.

Exactly. I don't understand why some felt it was better for Rotherham to be on 42 points with 2 games in hand

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of this hand wringing is starting to grate now. It's patently clear what we must do between now and the end of the season, Rooney never struck me as being a dullard so he must be acutely aware too. 

If he can't motivate and organise his side to do this then we do deserve to go down, simple as.

If he does manage to keep us up then he shouldn't take any plaudits whatsoever for dragging a group of players who should be operating at a far higher level into a relegation battle. 

As a previous poster said, I'd put us as having about a 1 in 3 chance of going down. 

A win tonight and things suddenly look brighter. Rotherham to slump and just take the odd point.. Huddersfield to continue their poor form...Preston looks winnable, Brum should be a good opportunity, Sheff Wed on last day with nothing to play for. 

Lots of reasons to think its not terminal. But facts remain by tonight we could be 4 points clear of the third bottom team who have beaten us twice and have 3 games in hand. We have chopped and changed managers, flown very close to the financial wind, scored very few goals and have played some terrible football recently. No one else is going to be crying if we go down. 

Can't say I'm that nervous any more. The squad looks woefully short in a few areas, we have a manager I didn't want and the continual financial uncertainty is draining and the EFL are still out for our blood. Feel like 'what will be will be' and if we haven't hit rock bottom yet then I'm finding it hard to get too excited anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

All of this hand wringing is starting to grate now. It's patently clear what we must do between now and the end of the season, Rooney never struck me as being a dullard so he must be acutely aware too. 

If he can't motivate and organise his side to do this then we do deserve to go down, simple as.

If he does manage to keep us up then he shouldn't take any plaudits whatsoever for dragging a group of players who should be operating at a far higher level into a relegation battle. 

Nice and positive as always Tyler ??

Maybe just maybe you could try and get behind the team....

33 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

a group of players who should be operating at a far higher level into a relegation battle. 

I agree with the Rooney sentiment but this group of players are exactly in the position that their abilities warrant. For example 2 of our best performers this season were relegated last season with Wigan. We are where we are because our playing staff is operating at its level and our Coaching staff (excluding Rooney at this point in time) have shown nothing with this Manager or the pervious one to say they can operate at a higher level either. All in all and sadly now we are bottom quarter of the championship club. 

I think we'll stay up. Looking at Rotherham's upcoming fixtures, Birmingham, Boro, Brentford, Barnsley, they're gonna struggle to get the points they need to inch ahead of us. We only need to pick up the odd point here and there and we'll be rate. 

It's a shame for the neutral though because after bringing in England's greatest ever goal scorer (sponsored by 32RED), announcing to the world we're gonna be the next Sheikh funded Man City, having a Spanish playboy promising Champions League football... it'd be absolutely hilarious if the team abjectly slip into league 1.

45 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

As a previous poster said, I'd put us as having about a 1 in 3 chance of going down. 

A win tonight and things suddenly look brighter. Rotherham to slump and just take the odd point.. Huddersfield to continue their poor form...Preston looks winnable, Brum should be a good opportunity, Sheff Wed on last day with nothing to play for. 

Lots of reasons to think its not terminal. But facts remain by tonight we could be 4 points clear of the third bottom team who have beaten us twice and have 3 games in hand. We have chopped and changed managers, flown very close to the financial wind, scored very few goals and have played some terrible football recently. No one else is going to be crying if we go down. 

Can't say I'm that nervous any more. The squad looks woefully short in a few areas, we have a manager I didn't want and the continual financial uncertainty is draining and the EFL are still out for our blood. Feel like 'what will be will be' and if we haven't hit rock bottom yet then I'm finding it hard to get too excited anyway. 

I hope we are not relying on that, we don't have the greatest record in winning easy games

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Oh dear holy Bucko no - I actually agree with you - I feel extremely disappointed in myself

If we can't get enough points from the last few games to stay up then we deserve to go down - We don't have 'easy' games as such but a couple of teams with nowt to play for and a couple of teams around us we 'should' be beating - That's enough opportunity to pick up points

However - I'm not sure the group we have should be operating at a 'far' higher level - I think they're mid-table standard and still need some leadership and a little more experience - The likes of Sibley and Knight are going to be VERY good championship (maybe PL) players but they need a couple of years still to be giving that extra 'shine' to a side week in week out

45 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I hope we are not relying on that, we don't have the greatest record in winning easy games

We’ll probably loose every game, but fluke a win against Swansea, and those 3 points will be just enough. That would be typically Derby. 

42 minutes ago, Ramley Apple said:

No way are we going down

The current bottom three will remain in position

the spotlight is on young Wayne: with the right tactics and motivation we win one maybe two, scrape some draws and stay up. Forget the maths, it IS in our own hands. 
Rotherham could pass Udders tho

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Really??.

This squad at best is bang average. A 34 year old journeyman as our main striker who hits the odd good goal but mainly goes "wooop" all game. 

As Rooney has said, they coach them what they want them to do, especially in attack but when they cross the line, they have to take responsibility and they simply aren't.

Some fans seem to think we should be playing like the Mac 1 side, that team has long gone.

Some of the squad obviously have issues ie, Waggy & Lawrence and I think will be gone soon.

Were aren't a good side we need massive investment. Rooney needs a season to get players in, not panic loans because the last deal fell through.

If this deal goes through and he gives Rooney the sort of backing he's saying then I have no doubt we'll be pushing next season.

Rotherham will get 1 point in 6 games, meanwhile we lose the next 5 games in a row.

On the final day, we take the lead v Sheff Wed and everyone proclaims Rooney a hero as safety appears secured.

Until the last 10 minutes when Jordan Rhodes pops up with the unlikeliest of doubles.

But it’s still 1-1 in Cardiff and we’re still safe. And then of course Rotherham score in stoppage time at Cardiff.

If we are going down to League 1, you just know it’s going to be in the most ridiculous fashion ever.

17 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Really??.

This squad at best is bang average. A 34 year old journeyman as our main striker who hits the odd good goal but mainly goes "wooop" all game. 

As Rooney has said, they coach them what they want them to do, especially in attack but when they cross the line, they have to take responsibility and they simply aren't.

Some fans seem to think we should be playing like the Mac 1 side, that team has long gone.

Some of the squad obviously have issues ie, Waggy & Lawrence and I think will be gone soon.

Were aren't a good side we need massive investment. Rooney needs a season to get players in, not panic loans because the last deal fell through.

If this deal goes through and he gives Rooney the sort of backing he's saying then I have no doubt we'll be pushing next season.

Agree that this squad is bang average, still reinforces my point that we should be occupying an "average" midtable league position not embroiled in a relegation dogfight. 

19 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Really??.

4th from bottom accurately reflects the ability of the squad, severely lacking in quality throughout....

Archived