Match Thread - Blackburn Rovers v Derby County - Friday 16th April, 6pm

i-Ram

It needs an old head to steer us to safety now.

A 6 game unbeaten run with a good number of ugly draws is planned. 8 points will do it.

First up Blackburn.  We might actually score here, but a 0 - 0 will do.

Not worth a tenner (or even an overseas discount) to watch this one on Rams TV. Depending on the TBA kick off time I would suggest you watch the build-up to, or the post-ceremony analysis, of the Royal Funeral. Much more excitement.

Hope Gregory and Clarke are available. Too early for Markle though.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Upbeat...I like it. A solid plan...

Who's the 6th unbeaten match after we've won the 5 remaining league games? ?

I have arranged a behind closed doors friendly against Reading Ladies so we can get much more in the box experience. There will be no matchday thread for that one smartarse ?

Duck knows what to do here really. Ideally you’d make a fair few changes after the Norwich game, to try and actually add some goal threat to the side. Unfortunately we don’t seem to have any players capable of bringing that in the squad... in fact, we don’t have very many available options at all with all the injuries. Trying to scrape together something that’s potentially a bit different, this is what I’ve come up with:

Roos

Macdonald Wisdom Mengi Forsyth

Roberts Bird Sibley Jozwiak

Kazim-Richards Cresswell

Think Roos was harshly dropped when Marshall came back, so I’d like to see him back in the side as I think he’s had the better season of the two. Macdonald struggled a bit going forward at times, but he’ll have to stay in the side unless Byrne is back, as I’m not sure we can trust Ebosele enough defensively just yet in this system. Still not sure about Wisdom next to Mengi, we’re lacking a bit in the air there, but there’s no other options at the moment so they’ll have to continue as they are. Roberts and Jozwiak aren’t particularly well suited to a 4-4-2 imo, in terms of fulfilling their defensive responsibilities, but neither are any of our other options, so they’ll have to remain in the side - despite not doing enough in the final third for me yesterday. Biggest change is in the centre of the park. Shinnie lacks in technical ability too much for me, and slows the play down, so I’d bring Sibley in so we’re not so defensive in midfield. That extra attacking threat supporting the front two could make a big difference, it might actually give the opposition something to worry about as Louie has the ability to catch their defence out. Final change is to take Lawrence out the team - he was totally ineffective out of position up front, as expected, so Cresswell gets his chance to provide Kazim-Richards with a proper strike partner.

30 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Duck knows what to do here really. Ideally you’d make a fair few changes after the Norwich game, to try and actually add some goal threat to the side. Unfortunately we don’t seem to have any players capable of bringing that in the squad... in fact, we don’t have very many available options at all with all the injuries. Trying to scrape together something that’s potentially a bit different, this is what I’ve come up with:

Roos

Kazim-Richards Cresswell

Think Roos was harshly dropped when Marshall came back, so I’d like to see him back in the side as I think he’s had the better season of the two. Macdonald struggled a bit going forward at times, but he’ll have to stay in the side unless Byrne is back, as I’m not sure we can trust Ebosele enough defensively just yet in this system. Still not sure about Wisdom next to Mengi, we’re lacking a bit in the air there, but there’s no other options at the moment so they’ll have to continue as they are. Roberts and Jozwiak aren’t particularly well suited to a 4-4-2 imo, in terms of fulfilling their defensive responsibilities, but neither are any of our other options, so they’ll have to remain in the side - despite not doing enough in the final third for me yesterday. Biggest change is in the centre of the park. Shinnie lacks in technical ability too much for me, and slows the play down, so I’d bring Sibley in so we’re not so defensive in midfield. That extra attacking threat supporting the front two could make a big difference, it might actually give the opposition something to worry about as Louie has the ability to catch their defence out. Final change is to take Lawrence out the team - he was totally ineffective out of position up front, as expected, so Cresswell gets his chance to provide Kazim-Richards with a proper strike partner.

black and white vintage GIF

Energy in midfield is the key in this one. That was definitely our undoing in the reverse fixture. They have a very energetic midfield and if we don't at least match that then it's game over. 

A good start to the game would help too as their confidence will be fragile as they are on a run similar to us. Press them high and force them into mistakes. The higher up the field we win the ball the better. Let's face it, we ain't great at transitioning the ball up there ourselves. 

Unchanged in terms in personnel unless Clarke & Byrne are fit, in which case they come in for Mengi & McDonald.

I'd like to see Roberts & Jozwiak swap wings occasionally just to mix things up and offer different threats to their full backs. Lawrence to stay central as thats where he's most dangerous.

I have to say that I was a bit surprised not to see Cresswell brought on as sub on Saturday when we were chasing the game and had so few options up front. 

I thought he was one of the youngsters who handled the Chorley game well and would like to see him get a bit of time on the pitch these last few games. Not sure he's ready for starting, though.

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

I have to say that I was a bit surprised not to see Cresswell brought on as sub on Saturday when we were chasing the game and had so few options up front. 

I thought he was one of the youngsters who handled the Chorley game well and would like to see him get a bit of time on the pitch these last few games. Not sure he's ready for starting, though.

If the rest of the team wasn't so inexperienced, we probably would have seen more of him. I think it's also one of the reasons Buchanan has been dropped (especially wit Mengi being the LCB). Cresswell is great at applying a pressing game (as you know) and will force errors, which works well when we have any 3 of Lawrence, Sibley, Jozwiak and Roberts playing.

Injury List:
Clarke - misses next 1 game
Waghorn - misses next 1 game
Edmundson - Back for the final 2 or 3 games
Ibe - Doubt he'll play for the first team this season
Gregory - Out for rest of season
Stretton - Out for rest of season
Davies - Out for rest of season
Bielik - Out for rest of season (and a good chunk of next season)

Senior players available for this game:
G: Roos, Marshall
D: Byrne,Wisdom, Mengi, Forsyth, Buchanan 
M: Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Baningime
W: Lawrence, Jozwiak, Sibley, Roberts
F: Kazim (just)

My team for this game:

Roos
Byrne   Wisdom   Mengi   Buchanan
Bird   Shinnie
Roberts   Sibley   Lawrence
Kazim

Subs: Marshall, McDonald, Forsyth, Knight, Watson, Baningime, Jozwiak, Shonibare, Cresswell

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Roos

Kazim-Richards Cresswell

Christ Lawrence injured now too, we just don’t have any luck with injuries ?

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If the rest of the team wasn't so inexperienced, we probably would have seen more of him. I think it's also one of the reasons Buchanan has been dropped (especially wit Mengi being the LCB). Cresswell is great at applying a pressing game (as you know) and will force errors, which works well when we have any 3 of Lawrence, Sibley, Jozwiak and Roberts playing.

Injury List:
Clarke - misses next 1 game
Waghorn - misses next 1 game
Edmundson - Back for the final 2 or 3 games
Ibe - Doubt he'll play for the first team this season
Gregory - Out for rest of season
Stretton - Out for rest of season
Davies - Out for rest of season
Bielik - Out for rest of season (and a good chunk of next season)

Senior players available for this game:
G: Roos, Marshall
? Byrne,Wisdom, Mengi, Forsyth, Buchanan 
M: Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Baningime
W: Lawrence, Jozwiak, Sibley, Roberts
F: Kazim (just)

My team for this game:

Roos
Byrne   Wisdom   Mengi   Buchanan
Bird   Shinnie
Roberts   Sibley   Lawrence
Kazim

Subs: Marshall, McDonald, Forsyth, Knight, Watson, Baningime, Jozwiak, Shonibare, Cresswell

Yep, I would go with that if Clarke unavailable ?

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yep, I would go with that if Clarke unavailable ?

Sadly, Rooney said it's unlikely he'll be available.

Responding to Gibbo's question on how many will return from injury: "Probably one. Probably Nathan Byrne. The rest are big doubts. Waggy and.. Matt Clarke potentially, but...erm they'll be big doubts. Very doubtful they'll make it."

Archived