Describe your perfect Derby owner

Day

Following on from my mini rant in another topic, thought it would be interesting to hear what your perfect Derby County owner would be, the dream if you like as to where they would take the club.

Young, old, Local, foreign, trillionaire, billionaire, millionaire, ambitious, conservative, quiet, talkative...

As descriptive as you can be. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, David said:

Following on from my mini rant in another topic, thought it would be interesting to hear what your perfect Derby County owner would be, the dream if you like as to where they would take the club.

Young, old, Local, foreign, trillionaire, billionaire, millionaire, ambitious, conservative, quiet, talkative...

image.thumb.jpeg.6747f9662a9b9bd3eac3528e692647a4.jpeg

9 minutes ago, David said:

Key points:

• Runs the club sustainably.
  • Hires someone competent to run football operations, like a sporting director or someone of that ilk. This person would set the general sort of long-term philosophy and make coaching appointments based on that.
  • Creates a proper recruitment strategy with the smartest people we can afford. Player recruitment would be based on the above philosophy.
  • Doesn't lose his/her head when things don't go immediately to plan. If he/she believes in the system, then he/she sticks with it through all the variables that football throws up.

Would be nice, but less important:

• Shows his/her face from time to time but doesn't hog the spotlight.
  • Gets involved with the community.
  • Doesn't make promises he/she doesn't know if he/she can keep.
  • Isn't a Bamford.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Key points:

• Runs the club sustainably.
  • Hires someone competent to run football operations, like a sporting director or someone of that ilk. This person would set the general sort of long-term philosophy and make coaching appointments based on that.
  • Creates a proper recruitment strategy with the smartest people we can afford. Player recruitment would be based on the above philosophy.
  • Doesn't lose his head when things don't go immediately to plan. If he/she believes in the system, then he/she stick with it through all the variables that football throws up.

Would be nice, but less important:

• Shows his/her face from time to time but doesn't hog the spotlight.
  • Gets involved with the community.
  • Doesn't make promises he/she doesn't know if he/she can keep.
  • Isn't a Bamford..

I really don't get the sporting director thing. So you've got a guy who chooses the style of play and which players should be signed to play that way. The coach then takes those players and "coaches" them. When the coach leaves for another club you bring in another coach with the same ideas. That's brilliant when things go well.What happens when things don't go well? Who is to blame? The DOF simply blames the coach and brings in a new one? And if the next one fails? Is the DOF untouchable, and if not when does he become accountable?

For me a DOF should only be appointed as a promotion from being a long term successful manager at the club. He's already got the team playing to a system that works. It is a continuation of that success. Someone like Wenger for example handing over the reins at Arsenal but still being deeply involved.

We are not in a position of success on the pitch. You would be bringing someone in to start from scratch. The nearest we've got to a possible DOF for me is Steve Mac. I don't know if I fancy him being solely responsible for player recruitment. An excellent coach but he does seem to struggle to improve an already good team through recruitment.

Your other comments I agree with.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

I really don't get the sporting director thing. So you've got a guy who chooses the style of play and which players should be signed to play that way. The coach then takes those players and "coaches" them. When the coach leaves for another club you bring in another coach with the same ideas. That's brilliant when things go well.What happens when things don't go well? Who is to blame? The DOF simply blames the coach and brings in a new one? And if the next one fails? Is the DOF untouchable, and if not when does he become accountable?

For me a DOF should only be appointed as a promotion from being a long term successful manager at the club. He's already got the team playing to a system that works. It is a continuation of that success. Someone like Wenger for example handing over the reins at Arsenal but still being deeply involved.

We are not in a position of success on the pitch. You would be bringing someone in to start from scratch. The nearest we've got to a possible DOF for me is Steve Mac. I don't know if I fancy him being solely responsible for player recruitment. An excellent coach but he does seem to struggle to improve an already good team through recruitment.

Your other comments I agree with.

I suggested it because it's similar to what Barnsley are doing, and I really like their model. I think it's the CEO, not a director of football, that's performing the role I'm talking about there, but it's essentially the same in that they're making managerial appointments based on a philosophy. Their last head coach got nabbed by New York Red Bulls, but because they were constantly tracking who the best 'pressing' managers were in Europe, they were able to bring in a suitable replacement, and he's doing very well. Their two managers before that were sacked for underperforming, so presumably they have some metric that separates the performance of the philosophy from the performance of the head coach.

See also what Stuart Webber is doing at Norwich. He kept his head when Norwich got relegated and he's reaping the rewards this season. It will be interesting to see whether they do any better in the Premier League next season.

I'm not too keen on appointing someone at boardroom level simply because they've been a good manager. Obviously a tactical understanding of the game is important, but I think being a director of football (or equivalent) is a completely different skill set to that of a manager/head coach.

The start point has to be that someone who wants to buy a football club is certifiably insane, there is no opportunity to make a return on your investment outside a very few top clubs, so they are looking for some sort of financial fiddle, or a huge ego trip! Both should be automatic disqualification.

However to counter that a local man who wants to give something to his community  is welcome. Think Burton, Wolves many moons ago. The problem is these days such men/women are very rare. To have that much spare cash you are not likely to be a family owned business, you will be a consortium, and such businesses rarely have the club or the community at the heart of the deal. Be interesting to see how Ipswich fare now.

My boyhood team, Torquay have little debt but are owned by a group. They want to sell the stadium for housing and move the club to a new multi use facility. Fans very unhappy, but I suspect it will happen! Mel had plans for stadium expension and I suspect the new owners (Friday came and went, 24hrs) will be the same.

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

The start point has to be that someone who wants to buy a football club is certifiably insane, there is no opportunity to make a return on your investment outside a very few top clubs, so they are looking for some sort of financial fiddle, or a huge ego trip! Both should be automatic disqualification.

However to counter that a local man who wants to give something to his community  is welcome. Think Burton, Wolves many moons ago. The problem is these days such men/women are very rare. To have that much spare cash you are not likely to be a family owned business, you will be a consortium, and such businesses rarely have the club or the community at the heart of the deal. Be interesting to see how Ipswich fare now.

My boyhood team, Torquay have little debt but are owned by a group. They want to sell the stadium for housing and move the club to a new multi use facility. Fans very unhappy, but I suspect it will happen! Mel had plans for stadium expension and I suspect the new owners (Friday came and went, 24hrs) will be the same.

Someone like Mel Morris?

I’ve really enjoyed the trust and investment in youth in the last couple of years so I’d want that to continue 

It obviously comes at the cost of results but I’d be loathe to go back to the soulless 2016 days, watching Johnson and Butterfield jog around midfield, even if we were a better team 

50 minutes ago, David said:

Mel with better advice.

1 hour ago, David said:

Mini rant well I never lol ? 

Archived