v Reading (a) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Marshy

Byrney   Wizzy   Clarkey   Buchy

Birdy   Shinnie

Jozzy   Sibley   Kazzy   Laurie

I think they call him Lozza! 

I like that but would keep Sibley on right, Jozwiak on left and get Lawrence central just off Kazim. 

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like the job Rooney’s done as he has saved us from relegation (although whether results would have improved anyway is up for debate) but I do really hope he intends to play better football going forward. So many times there’s a possession retaining simple forward ball but instead we clip it into the channel so frequently

hopefully a result against Reading and we can relax a bit more and play some more football for the last six

Will be a tough test. Hopefully Reading, as a poster above said, are a little nervy given their position in the table and a loss knocks them out of the play offs. 

Get after them early on, without throwing caution to the wind. I think we could Knick a win here but I’d take a draw.

Marshall 

Byrne    Wiz     Clarke    Fozzy

Shinnie    Bird 

Joz           Sibley        Lawrence 

Kazim

Think Joz plays better on the left, as he had been doing for Poland. There is room for the 3 behind Kazim to interchange and allow for Byrne and Fozzy to support. 

COYR.

5 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Would agree with that starting XI & formation to make us more solid. Really important if we play 3 at the back to have Bird & Shinnie in front of them (not Knight & Shinnie) to get some quality into Sibley, Lawrence & Kazim otherwise they'll get isolated like at Stoke.

I'd replace Forsyth with Buchanan as much because of a quick turnaround of games as Buchanan being a more ambitious wing back.

Reading haven't picked up many points recently & are hanging on to 6th. They're likely to be anxious & very keen to score early. If we can frustrate them & carry some genuine menace on the counter, there's a result here for us.

Agree with you about the midfield. Knight has been performing poorly recently and is in no way deserving of a place in the starting 11. The most important thing though is that the midfield doesn’t just sit back, they need to support the 3 in attack as well, otherwise we become overly defensive. I know Shinnie and Bird are both primarily defensive minded, but both are capable of having an influence going forward too, so we need to allow them the freedom to do exactly that. 

To be honest I’ll take a point here if you offered it me now. Reading are exactly the sort of side we’ve struggled against this season.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree with you about the midfield. Knight has been performing poorly recently and is in no way deserving of a place in the starting 11. The most important thing though is that the midfield doesn’t just sit back, they need to support the 3 in attack as well, otherwise we become overly defensive. I know Shinnie and Bird are both primarily defensive minded, but both are capable of having an influence going forward too, so we need to allow them the freedom to do exactly that. 

To be honest I’ll take a point here if you offered it me now. Reading are exactly the sort of side we’ve struggled against this season.

Bite your hand off for a point

Not sure why but I fancy this. On paper Reading should win but I have a feeling about a smash and grab here.  Not easy with Waggy and Gregory injured but if we can get Lawrence and Joz supporting CKR we're in with a chance.  Maybe not this one, but we'll have Stretton back too to provide options going forward. 

If we carry on the form of yesterday and show the same intent then I fancy us for this one. We played well against Watford and Brentford when we had a go. 
I’d minimise the changes, same team with Joz and CKR coming back in for Waggy and Gregory. Only question is can Fozzy manage 2 games in 4 days.

I’ve gone for 2-1 with Jozwiak first goal, got my Luton prediction spot on so hoping that continues!! ?

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Normally wouldn’t advocate anything other than fairly minor changes after a win like that, but the injuries we picked up will somewhat force our hand a bit. So I’d actually use the necessity of a formation change to return us to a 3 at the back, which should hopefully give us a bit more of a solid base against an extremely good Reading side that we struggled to cope with at the start of the season:

Marshall

Wisdom Mengi Clarke

Byrne Bird Shinnie Buchanan

Sibley Lawrence

Kazim-Richards

Harsh on Forsyth who had a good game today, but he simply can’t play in a 3 at the back system, so Buchanan has come in in his place. Mengi replaces the injured Gregory to facilitate the change in formation. And with Waghorn injured as well, we’ve got no choice but to bring Kazim-Richards back into the side, even though I’m not convinced he’s fully recovered yet - he’s all we’ve got left!

Has Forsyth had a poor game this season? I don’t remember one, with that said he used his brain on Friday by never going to near Tom Lawrence for when he loses it so he was never out of position.

8 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Has Forsyth had a poor game this season? I don’t remember one, with that said he used his brain on Friday by never going to near Tom Lawrence for when he loses it so he was never out of position.

He’s had an ok season to be fair, but there’s certainly been some poor performances in there. Yesterday was of course not one of them, but as I say he can’t play that wing back role, so there’s no space for him in the system I’m advocating playing.

9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s had an ok season to be fair, but there’s certainly been some poor performances in there. Yesterday was of course not one of them, but as I say he can’t play that wing back role, so there’s no space for him in the system I’m advocating playing.

He did very little going forward and not that much defensively - not keen on him as a starter for FB role.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

He did very little going forward and not that much defensively - not keen on him as a starter for FB role.

Bit harsh that, thought he was very solid in defence yesterday and very rarely beaten. Do agree in general though - Buchanan is the better player. Forsyth is way too error prone for my liking.

18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Bit harsh that, thought he was very solid in defence yesterday and very rarely beaten. Do agree in general though - Buchanan is the better player. Forsyth is way too error prone for my liking.

Neither up to super Max though...how we miss him ?

Archived