The thing that depresses me most

vonwright

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

The thing that depresses me most is we’ve gone from a club and team that was quite admired by other teams fans under Mac 1 to fans (and in some cases, owners) of other clubs enjoying our demise. Not nice that.

And all of that is down to one man - Mel Morris. His ownership of the club has been a disaster; if you had handed over the club to the most bitter and twisted Rams hating Forest fan 6 years ago they could not have done a better job of damaging us than Mel.

In that time we have gone from having a talented admired squad with a good manager on the cusp of promotion to the Prem and a prudent board keeping us solvent to having a clueless inexperienced manager and a squad of kids and journeymen taking us closer to League One than we have been in 37 years. On top of this we're skint and thoroughly disliked by many in the football world because of the actions of the owner.

I know Mel has done everything with the best of intentions but that is no comfort right now. His hubris and his impulsiveness as an owner has caused untold damage both reputational and otherwise, and will take years to sort out. 

18 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Just shows how bad Lampard actually was for the club

why does it?

he got the best out of every player

played attacking, entertaining football. Which was on the whole backed up by results

engaged with the fans 

Fantastic cup run as well

How much did the loans for Tomori, Mount and Wilson cost us?

Unless we could bring in similar quality again there wouldn't be much point getting Lampard back, but I doubt we have that sort of budget anymore.

We also played some pretty terrible football under Lampard when Mount was out.

For the most part we weren't actually that good and Wilson's free kicks bailed us out fairly often.

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

For the most part we weren't actually that good and Wilson's free kicks bailed us out fairly often.

Not really bothered to be honest, it was an enjoyable season and it felt like something special was happening. Just a shame he put out a side at Wembley with no striker. In hindsight most if not all of his permanent signings were bad. We overspent on average players we'd never get anything back from. But this is not just lampard, this is Mel Morris' entire tenure. Recruitment has been hit or miss.

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

why does it?

he got the best out of every player

played attacking, entertaining football. Which was on the whole backed up by results

engaged with the fans 

Fantastic cup run as well

Left us with nothing except some compensation payment from Chelsea

37 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

Left us with nothing except some compensation payment from Chelsea

Lampard was decent. Some memorable games, play off final. I’d take that all day long. You can’t judge the success of Lampard signings after he left, he obviously signed them to fit in to his style of football. 

Malone - had a decent season.

Marriott - scored a decent amount.

Waghorn - Good.

Jozefzoon - Terrible

Holmes - Decent season. 

They’ve all been worse since Lampard left. 

Where to begin... The fans who bought lock, stock and barrel into the Rooney management scheme because it was Rooney... acting like a bunch of star struck children going on about how exciting and brilliant it would all be. All the while we stuck our noses up at established championship managers because they weren't a sexy name, pretending experience doesn't matter because we didn't want Paul Cook or Mick McCarthy, we wanted England's top scorer who'd managed as many games as me in his life. It struck me as bizarre and idiotic then and it still does now. All the more bizarre and infuriating is that the owner signed off on this. 

We've been blinded by our owner whose made one awful decision after another and now we're paying the price as a club, pretending we've had the EFL on 'strings' as everyone else begins to loathe what we've come to stand for and our finances become ever more perilous. Using the academy as a get out of Jail card to supplement the squad to an unreasonable degree due to the dwindling supply of money was always going to come back and bite us. We've got a bang average championship squad that's inexperienced and poorly managed that is leading us into the financial and football abyss of 3rd division football. 

I'm sick of not being able to attend and just seeing empty stadiums as our team cower from taking responsibility as our 'manager' puts his hands in his pockets and looks like a petulant child on the touchline. Eugh, it's just all so depressing quite honestly. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Where to begin... The fans who bought lock, stock and barrel into the Rooney management scheme because it was Rooney... acting like a bunch of star struck children going on about how exciting and brilliant it would all be. All the while we stuck our noses up at established championship managers because they weren't a sexy name, pretending experience doesn't matter because we didn't want Paul Cook or Mick McCarthy, we wanted England's top scorer who'd managed as many games as me in his life. It struck me as bizarre and idiotic then and it still does now. All the more bizarre and infuriating is that the owner signed off on this. 

We've been blinded by our owner whose made one awful decision after another and now we're paying the price as a club, pretending we've had the EFL on 'strings' as everyone else begins to loathe what we've come to stand for and our finances become ever more perilous. Using the academy as a get out of Jail card to supplement the squad to an unreasonable degree due to the dwindling supply of money was always going to come back and bite us. We've got a bang average championship squad that's inexperienced and poorly managed that is leading us into the financial and football abyss of 3rd division football. 

I'm sick of not being able to attend and just seeing empty stadiums as our team cower from taking responsibility as our 'manager' puts his hands in his pockets and looks like a petulant child on the touchline. Eugh, it's just all so depressing quite honestly. 

But apart from that what is depressing you about the Rams at the moment ?

4 hours ago, Jayram said:

And all of that is down to one man - Mel Morris. His ownership of the club has been a disaster; if you had handed over the club to the most bitter and twisted Rams hating Forest fan 6 years ago they could not have done a better job of damaging us than Mel.

In that time we have gone from having a talented admired squad with a good manager on the cusp of promotion to the Prem and a prudent board keeping us solvent to having a clueless inexperienced manager and a squad of kids and journeymen taking us closer to League One than we have been in 37 years. On top of this we're skint and thoroughly disliked by many in the football world because of the actions of the owner.

I know Mel has done everything with the best of intentions but that is no comfort right now. His hubris and his impulsiveness as an owner has caused untold damage both reputational and otherwise, and will take years to sort out. 

Respect your point of view Jay and don’t entirely disagree with some of what you posted but I can’t kick a man when he’s down.

I’m convinced he’s devastated at our current plight.Now, I’m not about to get the violin out and give you some sad stories, some of his decisions (with the benefit of hindsight) were lousy.

It’s just such a shame his good intentions have backfired mightily and we find ourselves in a bit of a pickle but being as there’s nothing I can do about it personally I’m just going to wait and see how it all pans out. 

4 hours ago, Coconut said:

Unless we could bring in similar quality again there wouldn't be much point getting Lampard back, but I doubt we have that sort of budget anymore.

We also played some pretty terrible football under Lampard when Mount was out.

Why wouldn't He & Jody be able to get more players on loan? it's not like Chelsea are short of them. According to some sources we didn't pay anything for the loans apart from Wilson.

We played terrible compared to what? Barcelona? Now? He gave us one of our best matches in recent times in the play-off semi final, and people are just dismissing it as lucky, without any praise for his half time team talk. What kind of football were you expecting in his first season as a manager? He showed enough at times to show it was at least heading in the right direction. Lampard was originally seen as a long term appointment.

If you call the football terrible then, what on earth would you call what we're playing now?

It’s throughly depressing how poor our squad is now, especially in the attacking areas, considering what we had when Mel first took over. Desperately lacking any sort of technical quality needed to succeed in this division. I guess that’s what years of atrocious recruitment does though, compounded by a lack of investment the last couple of seasons. Now we’re in a right mess.

Don’t think that all is necessarily lost this season though to be fair. This squad does have enough in it it, just about, to scrap survival. But to do that the manager needs to be braver and play more attacking. I don’t think Rooney has the baalocks.

On 21/03/2021 at 18:24, Leeds Ram said:

Diplomacy isn't your strong point then!

Say it how you see it, there's nowt wrong with that and I have to say that I agree with most of what you say. Rooney's appointment was glitzy but not logical except (and this is no doubt significant) from a financial point of view! 

Can we get out of this mess? It's gonna be a cliffhanger and I would say 'it's too close too call'! It's still in our own hands but hell, something's got to change and change quickly because our current form says relegation. At times like this the manager earns his corn, I just hope Wayne can earn his! 

Archived