The East Midlands Derby - Lost the spark?

AGR

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

I suppose sometimes you have to sacrifice playing style for success. All that sacrificing last season for them was definitely worth it, reaching the holy grail of 7th place.

Another point is both sides seem to change manager at least once a season so i suppose its more difficult to form a rivalry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than Covid and no fans, the biggest factor in this fixture losing its sparkle is Sky TV and shitty kick off times. Let’s us just have one season with both games at 3 o’clock on a Saturday, 

19 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Other than Covid and no fans, the biggest factor in this fixture losing its sparkle is Sky TV and shitty kick off times. Let’s us just have one season with both games at 3 o’clock on a Saturday, 

No chance even if sky didn’t pick it which is unlikely the police would ask for a early kick off.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Whilst it’s been pathetic we have contributed massively especially when we look at the goals we have let in, Bogle twice in two games Marshall in the last one Hamer the other season, all the most soft and stupid goals ever 

Fortunately I’ve forgotten half of them,

but I thought Marshall’s error was ridiculous. Remember when they used to show videos of Scottish goalkeeping errors and Scottish keepers were universally regarded as crap. This was as bad as any. It was Lee Grant / Lee Camp-esque. 

Whisper it but I think he seems to let in more goals than he should.

Hasn’t lost any of its spark for me, personally. They’re still the number one team that I want us to beat, and I still get caught up in the emotion of it, even when not in the ground - as you can probably tell by how annoyed and angry I got at the performance on Friday night. It’s still probably the most disappointing and devastating game to lose, and I’m sure if we one day manage to win again, it’ll be the absolute best feeling you can get from an individual game (aside from one that seals promotion etc).

Can understand why others don’t quite have the same energy for the fixture anymore though. It’s much harder to get up for a big game like this when you’re not actually going to be in attendance. And, let’s be honest, it’s probably not lost it’s spark so much for Forest fans. I suspect most of us are trying to blank it out, considering how utterly hopeless we’ve been in the fixture over recent years. Perhaps we should stop pretending the fixture is meaningless anymore, and just accept we haven’t been good enough.

13 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Football in general has lost its spark for me, and won't get it back until fans return to the stadiums ? 

Just this.

Whatever, the O.P, in truth a near full Pride Park or the Council tip in Nottingham, would be rocking once crowds are allowed back; especially as there is not so much between the teams. The tension, nerves and full on passion would soon be back once inside the ground. Whilst some may grow weary of our continual grind against each other in this league, it would still make most heartbeats go a bit faster match day.

I’ll look forward to once last set of fixtures against the gumps next year, whilst we’re still in the same league ?

Sensible managers and not many dhead players might have calmed things down a bit.

I'm sure Forest fans must have hated players like Savage and Ward. Then there were players who moved between clubs like Commons and Camp.

I'm sure they had more cocky ricks in the past too. I don't know many of their players now, but it's hard to drum up much genuine hate for the ones I do know, like Grabban or Lolley. Knockhart is a bit of a dhead, but seems better just to ignore him.

I'm sure Rooney would get some stick from their fans, but I don't think people like Hughton, Cocu, Warburton or their last guy are gonna get the blood boiling.

We also had a few season when promotion was the aim and games vs a lowly Forest were not really anymore important.

Now we've had a bit of a decline, it seems a bit sad to care so much about the game again. If we both were top 6 next year, things would get exciting again. Especially with post-war style full grounds!

Monotony the main factor, they’ve lost their novelty.

Two similar size championship clubs playing again and again each season for the past 11/12 years. There’ll be one game in the first ten of the season and then the next one in February/March. At least one will be a scrappy draw, if not both. There aren’t even red cards any more. It’s not that different to us playing Norwich or Wednesday or whoever. It may always be on Sky but so are our games with Birmingham?

It’s spicy when we haven’t played in a few years or when one club is doing much, much better than the other. It would also be better if we were both in the PL fighting for survival or if the fixtures were any time other than August/September and Feb/March. We never play each other in the last five games of the season, for example. Imagine a final day scrap when we’re both still playing for something.

Also, it now pales in comparison to how the rivalry with Leeds felt a couple years ago.

2 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Monotony the main factor, they’ve lost their novelty.

Two similar size championship clubs playing again and again each season for the past 11/12 years. There’ll be one game in the first ten of the season and then the next one in February/March. At least one will be a scrappy draw, if not both. There aren’t even red cards any more. It’s not that different to us playing Norwich or Wednesday or whoever. It may always be on Sky but so are our games with Birmingham?

It’s spicy when we haven’t played in a few years or when one club is doing much, much better than the other. It would also be better if we were both in the PL fighting for survival or if the fixtures were any time other than August/September and Feb/March. We never play each other in the last five games of the season, for example. Imagine a final day scrap when we’re both still playing for something.

Also, it now pales in comparison to how the rivalry with Leeds felt a couple years ago.

Agree. 

On 01/03/2021 at 10:41, VulcanRam said:

One thing that came to mind on Friday though as I shouted at the telly for someone just to stick one of the Forest players in the stand and liven the whole thing up, is that some of the great tackles, busts ups and incidents that really spark these kinds of games now result in red cards far easier than they used to and players just don't take the risks they did.

This and a tendancy for diving and play acting by overpaid prima donnas

On 01/03/2021 at 10:46, Curtains said:

I don’t watch any other games in Championship other than the games Derby are in .

I only watch Premier League and Champions League and International games live now .

I do not watch any other games other than Derby now - worried I will be able to motivate myself for the Euro's.

I said to the wife on Friday - I almost wish I did not support Derby because then I could give up football

22 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I would also add to the list, the number one reason why it has "lost its spark" is because we never beat them...

The games have almost always been rubbish games.

A bit of a worry that's something else we agree about ?

No coincidence our fans are losing their interest in football on the back of our worst season for a few years. Glory fans ?

1 minute ago, BIllyD said:

A bit of a worry that's something else we agree about ?

No coincidence our fans are losing their interest in football on the back of our worst season for a few years. Glory fans ?

Im getting a lot of comments like this in 2021, its the year of me being right all the time isnt it @DarkFruitsRam7

The lack of a live crowd has definitely affected the standard of football, as has the frequency of games. The few games which were cancelled due to weather and coronavirus have meant football twice a week. 

Every game must merge into one with no crowd. 

Tackles and attacking intent are fuelled by the passion of the fans. 

At home, watching a game 30 seconds behind live, with one eye on the phone for updates is no substitute. 

Also, the quality of our passing has regressed to an alarming extent. Little wonder they pass five yards sideways. They don't have the confidence to do otherwise. 

It all adds up to pretty tame entertainment. But I'll still be watching tonight! 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

The lack of a live crowd has definitely affected the standard of football, as has the frequency of games. The few games which were cancelled due to weather and coronavirus have meant football twice a week. 

Every game must merge into one with no crowd. 

Tackles and attacking intent are fuelled by the passion of the fans. 

At home, watching a game 30 seconds behind live, with one eye on the phone for updates is no substitute. 

Also, the quality of our passing has regressed to an alarming extent. Little wonder they pass five yards sideways. They don't have the confidence to do otherwise. 

It all adds up to pretty tame entertainment. But I'll still be watching tonight! 

Why do you have your phone with you looking for updates when you know the game you're watching is 30 seconds behind? No wonder it feels tame actually watching it when you know what's going to happen half a minute before it does!!

5 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Why do you have your phone with you looking for updates when you know the game you're watching is 30 seconds behind? No wonder it feels tame actually watching it when you know what's going to happen half a minute before it does!!

It's usually my son-in-law contacting me with the score! 

Mind you, it's normally nil nil.

You're right in that I should go into a time lapsed bubble until it's all over. 

Archived