The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I thought it was pretty obvious that it spread massively through schools over the last 2 months. So many kids caught it, they've probably all had it now. Half term probably reduced cases too though.

And whilst you seem to be celebrating our cases dropping, that pesky old death number is still rising thanks to the Autumn increase in cases.

We've had approx the same number of deaths in the last 30 days as South Korea has in total.

Not just here, but all over Europe. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59160525

All this comparing country A to country B is a bit silly imo.  I went all through that with Albert months ago and have no interest in going over it again - different regions of the world have different challenges to meet, non more so than the political issues highlighted in the post above yours ? 

On 05/11/2021 at 14:30, sage said:

Was that a walk in or had you booked? 

I received an email from the local medical clinic to book a date via the NHS App.

I had several options for the date and time to book, so I booked online the first available.

Over 80% jabbed and we're having the second greatest case surge since the mess began.  Hospitals warn of possibly not coping, must pull together one more time, Delta bad, lock downs good.  Lovely, what was it all for some ask.  Back to restrictions, mask up, fun and games.

26 minutes ago, ramit said:

Over 80% jabbed and we're having the second greatest case surge since the mess began.  Hospitals warn of possibly not coping, must pull together one more time, Delta bad, lock downs good.  Lovely, what was it all for some ask.  Back to restrictions, mask up, fun and games.

Have a look at the UK deaths over the last few months. It's pretty obvious what the vaccine has done. No one is asking what was it all for.

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Have a look at the UK deaths over the last few months. It's pretty obvious what the vaccine has done. No one is asking what was it all for.

Oh good. I'm sure Icelanders will see this as being entirely relevant to them.

I just travelled from the USA to UK for a week…interesting to compare the two countries. 
I have to say I was amazed at how much everyone is talking about It over there, It seemed to be still the number one topic of conversation. The booster, the anti vax, the different tests, the NHS etc etc and yet no one was wearing a mask that i saw all week. I don’t hear a peep about It over here. 
travelling over was so simple too, just filled out an app and i was away, a couple of tests that I did myself (so could have been done by anyone) and that was It and the plane was empty, I expect this will change from today now the border is reopened to America. 

20 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

vaccine to be mandatory for frontline NHS staff?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59215282

I'm not a supporter of mandatory vaccinations but it does surprise me to see them quoting up to 100,000 NHS staff remain unvaccinated. 

Firstly, why wait until Spring before enforcing it?  Winter will be over by then and infections like flu/covid naturally wane.

Secondly, upto 60k care workers are being sacked in the next couple of days - in an industry that is already severely understaffed.  If you can't send old folk to care homes they will block up beds in hospitals ?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/care-worker-video-sacked-refused-covid-vaccine-095618005.html

And all of this despite the jab not preventing transmission but protecting those that have been jabbed from the worst of covid.

We've gone from lauding them as heroes for working throughout the pandemic without even basic protection at times, to kicking them out of their jobs.  Rather than protecting the NHS, we're now gonna put it under incredible self-inflicted strain.

56 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Firstly, why wait until Spring before enforcing it?

It just feels like yet more populist hesitancy from the government doesn't it? Unable to do anything properly because it's constantly trying to judge the public mood. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

How many of those 100.100 are frontline? it's still too high.  

Later on it says "In the NHS, more than 92% of frontline staff have had their first dose and 89% are fully vaccinated - higher than the general working-age population". Personally I know about a dozen people who work in frontline health care and they all had the vaccine as soon as it was available to them. I suspect most of the remaining 8% are medically exempt, and that it's actually quite rare for people working in health care to not actually care about health 

45 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It just feels like yet more populist hesitancy from the government doesn't it? Unable to do anything properly because it's constantly trying to judge the public mood. 

Its more likely that they know 150k+ ppl will quit plunging the NHS into crisis over the winter.  If they leave it until the Spring they have all summer to recruit/train new staff or hope the financial squeeze on those that quit force them to change their minds.

Ultimately I guess Boris is doing all he can to protect the NHS and those in hospital...

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Its more likely that they know 150k+ ppl will quit plunging the NHS into crisis over the winter.  If they leave it until the Spring they have all summer to recruit/train new staff or hope the financial squeeze on those that quit force them to change their minds.

Ultimately I guess Boris is doing all he can to protect the NHS and those in hospital...

Look at the ducking state of it ? 

You'd have thought he might have learned his lesson after his prior hospital related hubris landed him in intensive care. No wonder some ae unhappy about being told to wear masks when the muppet mandating their use can't be arsed himself, even in a feckin hospital. You honestly couldn't make this poo up!

5 hours ago, maxjam said:

Firstly, why wait until Spring before enforcing it?  Winter will be over by then and infections like flu/covid naturally wane.

Secondly, upto 60k care workers are being sacked in the next couple of days - in an industry that is already severely understaffed.  If you can't send old folk to care homes they will block up beds in hospitals ?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/care-worker-video-sacked-refused-covid-vaccine-095618005.html

And all of this despite the jab not preventing transmission but protecting those that have been jabbed from the worst of covid.

We've gone from lauding them as heroes for working throughout the pandemic without even basic protection at times, to kicking them out of their jobs.  Rather than protecting the NHS, we're now gonna put it under incredible self-inflicted strain.

Perhaps it’s a backhand way of enforcing cut backs in nhs spending that you just couldn’t get away with in this climate and get re elected,,

wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest, we live in the times of nothing makes a jot of sense ??‍♂️

5 hours ago, maxjam said:

Its more likely that they know 150k+ ppl will quit plunging the NHS into crisis over the winter

Where are you getting 150k+ people from? The BBC article said 80-100k unvaccinated in the NHS, so with medical exemptions and the edict only applying to frontline staff I imagine the number of people who felt sufficiently strongly about not taking the vaccine that they'd quit their job would actually be fairly small

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Where are you getting 150k+ people from? The BBC article said 80-100k unvaccinated in the NHS, so with medical exemptions and the edict only applying to frontline staff I imagine the number of people who felt sufficiently strongly about not taking the vaccine that they'd quit their job would actually be fairly small

It's likely to skew towards the older end of the workforce too. Easier to stick it to the man if you have the option of retiring. If you have 30 years to retirement age it's a bigger challenge. 

17 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

You might be surprised, the pays not great , it won’t stop at double jab as constant boosters will be mandated too , put that alongside going from clap for the nhs staff to sack for the nhs staff when you may have put 2 years of putting others above yourself and family might produce much stronger feeling s than you imagine ??‍♂️
I know if I had put the work in and put myself at risk to tend to others through all this and was then TOLD no jab no job I would be telling them to poke the job whether or not I decided to have the vaccine

Edited by Archied