The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

31 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

If the extent of more restrictions is indoor mask wearing again, then I could probably live with that over the winter.

That's been the fundamental difference between us and the larger EU countries - and despite objections raised by some (on here and within the 'My freedoms' brigade), that's quite possibly all it needs.

Right at the start of the pandemic, I posted something on here extolling the virtues of those in South-East Asia who wear masks even when just out and about (not just indoors or on public transport) if they have anything from a cough/snotty nose upwards out of social politeness and consideration for others. Naturally, it was decried on here as unworkable in the UK because "...they are used to pandemics and we aren't". Well, we bloody well are now - or should be.

Edited by Eddie

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm not so sure the tories will have the stomach for imposing more restrictions. 

The problem is that the more people who get covid and survive without long covid symptoms - the less empathy there is for anyone else who might not be so lucky

I've spent 18 months following rules and hoping that I don't catch it. Now i feel it's inevitable, and not a question of IF I will catch it, but WHEN. Then I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the vaccine does its job

This was clearly the strategy from the moment the vaccine rollout started

Before Covid I had decided due to my age and working 12 hr shifts I would try and reduce my chances of catching the flu or the common cold. I decided to take hand sanitiser and wipes to the office and clean down the shared computer work station and avoided the communal kitchen area. Next told the wife I was going to sleep in the spare room told all my family if they had any flu type symptoms not to visit my house and I would not visit them. Also avoided packed pubs cafes etc. Luckily at pride park I sit next to my son and the aisle stairway and the two seats behind us are mostly unoccupied.
A few weeks later a manager in our head office told me to ignore all the ridicule that I was getting from fellow workers I thanked him for his concern but said I could handle the office banter.
Two years later when covid struck the ridicule that now occasionally came my way at work suddenly stopped. I so wanted to say, you all laughed at me but your not laughing now, but I could see genuine fear in their eyes as they was cleaning down their work stations so it would have been inappropriate and still is.

During all this time I have never had any flu or common colds or covid symptoms.

I am grateful for living in this country which rolled out the vaccine before anyone else. We cannot afford nor should we live our lives in some semi lock down.  Listen to government and work guidelines and any other useful advice then work out for yourself what is best for you depending on your own circumstances and health.

Remember no Government can guarantee you will not catch covid or survive it same as any other health problems.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

My kids school has sent all year 11s home until after half term as so many of them have Covid. Another Comp nearby has shut due to Covid.

Not sure we'll have another lockdown, but just have schools shut again and advice to work from home if you can.

I'm going to theatre on Monday and need a vaccination pass to get in. Think a Covid negative test as well would be better.

I know some people are against vaccinating teenagers, but there seems to be much more danger in letting them all get Covid ie long Covid, possible mutations, passing it back to older relatives etc.

Certainly seems the figures and action taken on them are geared to pump vaccine into kids ,,, hmmmm??‍♂️,

if so many of them have covid why send them all home to be locked indoors more with parents , family ,friends ,childcare’s that are most likely having to take time off to be locked indoors with them ,oh I suppose if they are taking it home to vaccinated parents and family it will be ok , the virus will figure out it s not allowed to mutate in those imposed circumstances 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm not so sure the tories will have the stomach for imposing more restrictions. 

The problem is that the more people who get covid and survive without long covid symptoms - the less empathy there is for anyone else who might not be so lucky

I've spent 18 months following rules and hoping that I don't catch it. Now i feel it's inevitable, and not a question of IF I will catch it, but WHEN. Then I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the vaccine does its job

Of course you are going to catch it , you’ve probably already had it ,I’m stunned you could think you could avoid it unless you and everyone else in the world wore a space suit 24 /7 and never had any contact with anyone ever again??‍♂️,

Its a virus in the family of the common cold which we were told was Extremely spreadable like wildfire on first appearance never mind the mutation s that we have been told are far far more spreadable on each ramp up ,

I actually feel for you if you have become so so afraid of living ,and that with a virus more than 98% of people survive with nothing worse than flu symptoms if any at all

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Thought it was made clear that the vaccine roll out to the vulnerable was the key to freedom to returning to normal living , it was shouted from the rooftops at the time to get everybody rolling they’re sleeves up ,,, why do you now seem surprised?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

One factor in the increasing death toll of late might be that an awful lot of those who are now eligible for a booster haven't had one yet. The headline numbers bandied about in the press and government are impressive at first glance - 3.1 million top-ups already administered - but this is only 40% of those eligible for one now, 6 months after the administration of their second dose. In other words, more than 4.5 million either haven't bothered, haven't got around to it yet or (for whatever reason - I know that my local practice are no longer administering COVID-19 vaccinations, but the local pharmacy are) been unable to get one. Note that these are the 'most vulnerable' group.

It has been known from the start of the vaccination program that the effectiveness of the vaccines wanes somewhat over time, so it is vitally important that the take-up of the booster is improved as far as the numbers are concerned. The people who are eligible have all shown willingness to be chipped - I mean vaccinated - in the past. Ideally, the take-up from this group should be as close to 100% as makes no difference.

Perhaps the take up ,ooops wake up is happening 

26 minutes ago, Archied said:

I actually feel for you if you have become so so afraid of living ,and that with a virus more than 98% of people survive with nothing worse than flu symptoms if any at all

Save your tears - i'm not afraid of living. I've actually been out and done so much the last couple of months that I'm amazed I haven't caught it already. 

26 minutes ago, Archied said:

why do you now seem surprised?

I'm not surprised either - where did I say that?

You don't half read these posts through a weird filter of your own making sometimes

I get the "need to start getting used to living with this" stance, and it's one I agree with.  The problem with COVID, as opposed to flu is that it's a) more contagious and b) more virulent, so living with it is definitely dependent on vaccinations.  In my opinion of course. 

As mentioned here, I've had flu - twice. It was awful.  Since I started having the flu vaccine, because I knew how ill I felt with it, despite being relatively young and fit at the time, I've never had it again - touch wood.  I therefore readily accepted the COVID jabs.  Having had COVID this past week, still recovering, one thing I, and my wife have been surprised by is how effing bad we've been, despite the vaccinations. It's bordered on how I felt with flu all those years ago. Not near as bad to be fair, but it's not been good. My wife's still really breathless after a week. Vaccinations, including boosters are key to eventually "living with this" like we do with flu. Over time, again like with flu, we'll build immunity, or at least the ability to live with it.   I'm getting on with life...temporarily on hold of course whilst I isolate. 

If you've not had COVID yet, awesome. Go you!  If you've had it but were OK and barely affected, awesome too. I'm genuinely grateful.  But it's not so awesome for a huge amount of others, as I can personally attest. Luckily for me, it looks as though I'll be able to get back on with life once I've fully recovered.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

That's been the fundamental difference between us and the larger EU countries - and despite objections raised by some (on here and within the 'My freedoms' brigade), that's quite possibly all it needs.

Not sure if you saw my post last night and ignored it, or just didnt see it. 

Can you explain why rates are only at the levels that they were last year when we were wearing masks?

And FYI that is a genuine question! 

FWIW my interpretation of the data...

According this data from Sky today; 

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/new-worlds-server-transfers-begin-tomorrow-amazon-giving-free-titles-and-emotes-as-thank-you-to-fans-2000123394

If we look at the two graphs at the bottom of the page, the age group that have the highest infection rate is 10-19, followed by the 5-9s - consistent with the bump we expected as they returned to school/uni.  Their hospitalization rate however over the same time period has remained virtually the same, if not fallen very slightly - as you would expect from age groups that thankfully avoid the worst of covid.  The people most at risk from being hospitalised are the 85+ and 74-85s, with everyone else a fair way behind. 

Given that approx 70% of people dying are now double vaxxed (pages 15, 16 & 17 - tables 5a, 5b and 6);

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1016465/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_36.pdf

and we know that the vaxxed can transmit the virus at similar rates to the unvaxxed, rather than innoculating children imho it would have been far better to give the elderly and vulnverable their booster jabs then start offering boosters to those that had their jabs 6-8 months ago in time for winter (or now for that matter) when the weather turns and everyone starts spending more time indoors.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Perhaps the take up ,ooops wake up is happening 

Let's hope so. As I said, the ones being called now for their third shots are those who, by definition, have had their first two.

The difficulty, of course, is that the huge vaccination centres like the Derby Arena have shut down, and in their place we have the local Chemist, who is already overrun (my local one certainly is, now his little shop has to service/support around 15,000 people.

21 minutes ago, maxjam said:

and we know that the vaxxed can transmit the virus at similar rates to the unvaxxed,

No, we don't, and I'm getting sick and tired of your ridiculous misinformation campaign. It's not only plain wrong, it's dangerous if you convince others of a similar lazy three monkeys mindset to your own.

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No, we don't, and I'm getting sick and tired of your ridiculous misinformation campaign. It's not only plain wrong, it's dangerous if you convince others of a similar lazy three monkeys mindset to your own.

Yes we do, the study that @Stive Pesley linked a while back stated it clearly ?

EDIT:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02689-y

EDIT2:

It is also not that difficult to have a disagreement with someone without also being rude to them.

Edited by maxjam

A few months into this godawful scenario i scribbled this for fun

My Corona

Ooh, my itty bitty one, my tiny one
When you gonna let me outside, Corona?
Ooh, you've taken all my fun, all my fun
So here inside I have to hide Corona

I can't leave this place, or touch my face, such a dreary time
I always clean my mouse, the whole house and what else I find
My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my Corona

Don't come any closer, huh, but will ya, huh?
Close enough to get in my eye Corona
Keeping it a mystery, when I'll be free
Free to do whatever I like Corona

My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my Corona

When you gonna give to me, infect me
Is it just a matter of time Corona?
Maybe it's the powers that be, powers that be
Are they playing games with my mind Corona?

Why, why, why, aye-aye, whoa!
W-w-w-why Corona?

26 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yes we do, the study that @Stive Pesley linked a while back stated it clearly ?

EDIT:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02689-y

EDIT2:

It is also not that difficult to have a disagreement with someone without also being rude to them.

This.

If @Eddiewas as wise as he believes, he would de-construct your argument and back it up with links to the correct information. 

As it is he believes that calling you dangerous and accusing you of spreading misinformation is the better option.

FWIW, whether or not I agree with your posts, Ive always found them to be reasoned and backed up with evidence. On the whole I find @Eddieposts, rude and obnoxious, although he does sometimes drop the charade, guess this is the days when he runs out of beer.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

This.

If @Eddiewas as wise as he believes, he would de-construct your argument and back it up with links to the correct information. 

As it is he believes that calling you dangerous and accusing you of spreading misinformation is the better option.

FWIW, whether or not I agree with your posts, Ive always found them to be reasoned and backed up with evidence. On the whole I find @Eddieposts, rude and obnoxious, although he does sometimes drop the charade, guess this is the days when he runs out of beer.

Apart from the ones I use gaming websites as evidence for ? 

TBH I'm getting sick of it, I had the same in the Superman thead last week - your words getting pulled this way and that and accusations are implied.  I try and reason them out politely, then the conversation focusses more on person than the argument. If you then make a valid point that can't be argued against with there is no further discussion, no acknowledgement, only silence.  

There was a previous study linked in this thread that stated vaccinated protection from transmission waned to unvaccinated levels after 12 weeks.  The article I linked above also states similar - maybe its from the same study, I cba to go back through this thread and find it;

'Unfortunately, the vaccine’s beneficial effect on Delta transmission waned to almost negligible levels over time.'

Ultimately, right or wrong, I am being polite in my discussions.  I am no Doctor, I have never told anyone what to do nor have I willingly gone on some sort of 'ridiculous misinformation campaign'.  An apology might be nice, but I'd settle for an acknowledgement that I've not just plucked my 'we know that the vaxxed can transmit the virus at similar rates to the unvaxxed'  statement out of my ass - but we both know I'll get neither.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Save your tears - i'm not afraid of living. I've actually been out and done so much the last couple of months that I'm amazed I haven't caught it already. 

I'm not surprised either - where did I say that?

You don't half read these posts through a weird filter of your own making sometimes

Pretty certain you don’t read your own posts , go back and read what you wrote , it seems this was clearly the strategy from the start ??? 
erm yes that’s what we were sold vaccines on loud and clear from the start , I could go over a mountain of your posts that were at best bizarre in terms of attitude to two women out walking to being driven to insanity stuff that is clearly nothing like the image you try to portray 

20 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'd settle for an acknowledgement that I've not just plucked my 'we know that the vaxxed can transmit the virus at similar rates to the unvaxxed'  statement out of my ass - but we both know I'll get neither.

Allow me to adjudicate, as you quoted the study that I linked originally.

The main thrust of that paper is that vaccination DOES lower transmission rates considerably, but that wanes over time, so in respect of the latter you are correct and you have since clarified as such.

However your initial throwaway statement 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

we know that the vaxxed can transmit the virus at similar rates to the unvaxxed

is unclear. And taken at face value comes across as misinformation

If you'd said "as vaccination effectiveness wanes we know that eventually the vaxxed can transmit the virus at similar rates to the unvaxxed" then you'd have been right and no one could have accused you of deliberate misrepresentation

Case dismissed - nothing more to see here