The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I disagree and IMO this would only happen if there is still a large number of Covid cases and there is a particularly nasty flu season coming up.....which is why we're opening up now and hopefully riding out the Covid wave & keeping hospital numbers manageable before the flu season kicks in.

As many have said about removing restrictions - "If not now, when?"

I hope you are right. I just think there could be so many NHS off isolating that we'll have no option.

3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

18 months ago would you have said lets all wear masks to save one pperson dying of flu????

No I wouldn’t and I am not saying that everyone should wear masks now? Just that I will be happy to do so if I feel the need arises e.g. if I am sat near someone elderly on a train. They might be vaccinated, they might not. My decision might affect them, it might not. I have no idea but seems a small price to pay for me personally. Might not be the same for everyone ??

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I hope you are right. I just think there could be so many NHS off isolating that we'll have no option.

I agree that the numbers of people isolating needs sorting. If double jabbed people won't have to isolate after 16th August, why not now?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Daily Mail reporting 900k people were told to isolate in first week of July.

Guardian saying 1.6M told to isolate in the last week.

Most the country is gonna be in isolation soon once everything opens on Monday and cases are over 100k per day.

Same old story. Do nothing when cases are small but rising rapidly. Lockdown again when these cases grow so much as to be unmanageable.

I hope Supreme Leader Modi is impressed in what we've done for him when we next beg him for a trade deal.

Daily Mail also got a story about something I was always concerned about: getting app alert because your neighbour through wall has tested positive.

The best thing anybody could do is delete the app and tell all of their friends and family to do the same. 

Also, how many children are currently off isolating because they are faking that they have the virus. There's nobody in my daughters school, children or teachers. She's also isolating but the lad she apparently came into contact with has gone on holiday early and thats the reason his parents told the school he'd got Covid. The school haven't even checked to see if he had a positive test but on the back of them calling in the school, pretty much the whole class had to isolate.

I mean when is this $ hit show going to stop. 

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

No I wouldn’t and I am not saying that everyone should wear masks now? Just that I will be happy to do so if I feel the need arises e.g. if I am sat near someone elderly on a train. They might be vaccinated, they might not. My decision might affect them, it might not. I have no idea but seems a small price to pay for me personally. Might not be the same for everyone ??

Most of the elderly don't give a flying nugget about Covid and you'll probably find that they're not wearing a mask anyway. 

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The only really relevant stat you have quoted in that is the number of people being told to isolate.

I guess the Government will continue to act on things when they continue to be pressured by people quoting completely irrelevant numbers?

As of yesterday:-

3786 people in hospital (capacity 40k?)

545 patients on ventilation (capacity 30k)

67.1% of adults have had both vaccinations

87.5% have had one vaccination

I've only used 2 stats, and one if them (people told to isolate) is a function of the other (number of cases)!

If millions of people of isolating, then there will be nobody to work in the hospitals! Or anywhere else for that matter.

1 hour ago, BrudeRAM said:

masks have been proven to reduce transmission in the vast majority of droplet/aerosol spread viral disease and multiple studies advocate the wearing of them to reduce the transmission. The level of efficacy of mask-wearing as a preventative measure varies depending on which studies you look at but the overwhelming body of literature that I've seen supports its use. It DOES make a difference. The argument it hasn/t worked because X number of people have died/been affected doesn't stand-up, many more people would have likely been infected/likely died without them and how correctly/strictly they are being adhered to will also affect the data.

Some sources if you want to find out more:

Mask wearing in pre-symptomatic patients prevents SARS-CoV-2 transmission: An epidemiological analysis ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32592903/ )  this one shows up to 2.5x reduced chance of catching COVID in close contacts

Potential utilities of mask-wearing and instant hand hygiene for fighting SARS-CoV-2 ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32232986/ ) this one uses a variety of similar SARS strains to emulate coronavirus to show masks block between 99.98% and 95.15% of droplets.

For balance I have included a RCT (randomized control trial) suggesting they do not definitely stop infection. However, this can be argued to be a flawed view as even if masks stop them on 99/100 occasions and on the 100th time they fail to stop transmission this study may falsely class them as 'ineffective' at stopping spread. ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7181908/ )

The key point as far as @G STAR RAM is concerned is that masks do not fully protect the wearer, so he won't wear one. Everyone else can go to hell, and by never being in a position to know whether or not he is infected but asymptomatic, he will seemingly assist them on that journey.

Do many of you on here , have that app? We've never installed it. I asked a few people at work if they had it, and didn't find anyone whose ever installed it. 

Anyway, as for freedom day. No change in anything as far as I can see personally. Sounds like I'll still be shopping with a mask on, and unofficially so far, been told that masks will remain at work (manufacturing)

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I agree that the numbers of people isolating needs sorting. If double jabbed people won't have to isolate after 16th August, why not now?

Apparently the logic is "to allow time for more people to get their second jab / for the second jab to kick-in"

Frustrating for all those who have have been double-jabbed for quite some time but are being impacted by all the isolation notices knocking out services they rely on

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The key point as far as @G STAR RAM is concerned is that masks do not fully protect the wearer, so he won't wear one. Everyone else can go to hell, and by never being in a position to know whether or not he is infected but asymptomatic, he will seemingly assist them on that journey.

No, my point is, if you are worried about catching the virus from me, because I'm not wearing a mask, don't come within 2 metres of me, pretty simple really.

Just the same as if I don't wish to put myself at risk of lung cancer I don't go and stand next to someone that is smoking.

2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Apparently the logic is "to allow time for more people to get their second jab / for the second jab to kick-in"

Which sort of makes sense but on 16th August there will still be a lot of people whose 2nd jabs haven't kicked in yet.

My second jab was 6 weeks ago, so if I get pinged again between now and August 16th, I'll take a test but not isolate if negative (as I did last weekend).

7 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Which sort of makes sense but on 16th August there will still be a lot of people whose 2nd jabs haven't kicked in yet.

My second jab was 6 weeks ago, so if I get pinged again between now and August 16th, I'll take a test but not isolate if negative (as I did last weekend).

What are the official rules when you get 'pinged'? Do they say you have to self-isolate by law, or just that you should do?

I agree with what you would do btw, just wondering how forceful the message is?

Edited by ariotofmyown
Just found it. Pinged by app is just advisory. Contacted by track and trace is legal.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

What are the official rules when you get 'pinged'? Do they say you have to self-isolate by law, or just that you should do?

I agree with what you would do btw, just wondering how forceful the message is?

The app doesn't say anything about the law but wording is pretty insistant & says "you need to self-isolate for xx days" - depending how recent the exposure was (mine was telling me 3 days last weekend), however it is supposed to be advisory only.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

The app doesn't say anything about the law but wording is pretty insistant & says "you need to self-isolate for xx days" - depending how recent the exposure was (mine was telling me 3 days last weekend), however it is supposed to be advisory only.

I've just been looking on government website and barely mentions the app, nothing about being contacted by the app.

So someone who ended up sitting next to a coughing stranger on the bus/train, who then got contacted by app when stranger tested positive, would not have to isolate.

But if someone with no symptoms who tests positive tells Track and Trace they were chatting to you, then you legally have to isolate for 10 days, even if regularly testing negative.

There are going to be a lot of people missing work and holidays because of track and trace who never become positive.

Oh well, as least it's freedom day and nightclubs are opening!

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Indeed. Maybe Bald Eagle lives in a retirement home in Florida where Mike Pence went to speak?

No, but I do live on a Cul-de-sac where 50% are elderly and none of them are going to wear masks after Monday.

You're free to do what you want to do but masks don't seem to be doing much now, or would you say cases would be 200000 a day now without them?

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

It will be like my workplace. You can't have the app on, even in the car park, and you have to spend 15 minutes or more with no mask under 2 metres away to qualify to isolate from a close contact. 

You can't just have people self-isolating. You get tested everyday too. Basically, you can't be off work unless positive. 

Edited by Norman