The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

This strikes me as smug and and contemptuous. Who are you dismissing as idiots? This is a complex scientific and ethical situation within a context where access to information is not open. It surprises me that anyone feels certain about what is right.

Anyone that does not agree with his opinion I'd imagine.

24 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Well... We're either all doomed or the pandemic is over.  Who even cares what stats they produce anymore ?

FFS - if the government have "seen modelling" that says cases will soon start to fall because of reasons - why the hell aren't they just being honest and communicating that??

What we wouldn't give to have some strong leadership right now ?

23 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

FFS - if the government have "seen modelling" that says cases will soon start to fall because of reasons - why the hell aren't they just being honest and communicating that??

Literally 4 days between estimates 100k cases per day to 5k cases per day.

I give up lol ?

52 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Well... We're either all doomed or the pandemic is over.  Who even cares what stats they produce anymore ? 

Fearing 100k per day cases a few days ago...

Forecasting 5k per day cases today...

Seriously mixed messages. Were predictions based on our modelling ever that helpful though?

Some people suggested that similar coronaviruses like SARS had a 2 year presence and then faded. Hope this is the same.

25 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Seriously mixed messages. Were predictions based on our modelling ever that helpful though?

Some people suggested that similar coronaviruses like SARS had a 2 year presence and then faded. Hope this is the same.

Just bring back the mask mandate and if it turns out cases do plummet we can all go out and lick door handles.

4 hours ago, maxjam said:

Literally 4 days between estimates 100k cases per day to 5k cases per day.

I give up lol ?

They just don’t know do they, the politicians and the scientists haven’t got a clue. They haven’t all the way through this poo show, the modelling has been laughable throughout. Two dice and dartboard would give you a better forecast than this lot. 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

They just don’t know do they, the politicians and the scientists haven’t got a clue. They haven’t all the way through this poo show, the modelling has been laughable throughout. Two dice and dartboard would give you a better forecast than this lot. 

Time and personal experience will hopefully sort things out , for me there’s something in the middle of the all out fear/ hysteria mongering and the all out conspiracy fake line and I believe there’s a virus we have to be wary of and treat with respect 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Pleasantly surprised while shopping today - nearly everyone in Morrison's wearing a mask. It's not needed, people.

Now the bad news - only 3 Westmalle Tripel and zero Tripel Karmeliet. I may die of thirst

FTFY 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

FTFY 

On the one hand, every single scientist who has anything to do with virology says that mask-wearing and social distancing is an effective way to prevent the spread of this virus, and every single study backs this.

On the other hand, a person having zero knowledge of the subject posting on a football messageboard disagrees.

50:50 then.

Edited by Eddie

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

On the one hand, every single scientist who has anything to do with virology says that mask-wearing and social distancing is an effective way to prevent the spread of this virus, and every single study backs this.

On the other hand, a person having zero knowledge of the subject posting on a football messageboard disagrees.

Those scientist have been right about everything so far haven’t they ?

Off to Bournemouth tomorrow - yes I do travel - to watch Fontaines DC with my lad (29). This will be our 5th gig together in 5 weeks.  So great to be out experiencing live music, having a few beers and a jig, and enjoying a social life again with young, happy people. Now I know at 60 I am taking some risks, but I am double jabbed and this virus is not going away for some time yet. So a bit of unmasked moshing will be undertaken again, but rest easy as I will be crossing my fingers for protection. 

The band will open with the song below, which is a great toe tapper about things you should do in life, for your overall betterment, and so your life doesn’t feel empty.  In particular there is a line And don't sacrifice your life for your health. That resonates greatly with me. Now, in a few weeks or months my Mrs might come on here and inform you I passed with COVID, and how foolish might these comments seem then?  Well very foolish, but do let her know that life is for living and not hiding behind masks, doors and walls, and also tell her that I hoped she would be very happy with the milkman. She thinks I don’t know. Silly cow.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I'll try this question again then and see if I get an answer this time.

Why last winter, when masks and social distancing were mandatory, did cases still get so high?

11 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Probably because the same modeller 4 weeks ago was saying we would definitely hit 100,000 cases a day and possibly even reach 200,000.

This guy must have the best job on the planet.

He can literally guess at anything, never lose his job and get paid handsomely for it.

Fair play to him. 

A couple of interesting snippets from the BBC live feed....

We've got more from Oxford vaccine chief Prof Pollard, who says the "vast majority" of intensive care patients in the UK are unvaccinated.

According to the latest goverment data, there are 8,239 people in hospital with Covid in the UK.

But those who are vaccinated are having shorter hospital stays and milder symptoms of Covid, Pollard says.

Measures such as booster doses will help the impact on intensive care but it was also key to vaccinate those people who have not had the jab yet, he says.

and....

Prof Sir Andrew Pollard, one of the scientists behind the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine, is giving evidence to the Commons' science and technology committee this morning.

He begins by saying while there is "a lot of transmission at the moment" it is "not right" to say comparisons with other countries can be made.

The UK's "very high" number of cases is "partly because of our very high test rate" so it is "important not to bash the UK" with international comparisons.

Germany actually has the highest test positivity rate in Europe, he adds.