The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Just now, maxjam said:

Repeating this from an earlier post as you are repeating yourself;

The study was funded by the Govt, undertaken by Oxford Uni and is currently under peer review.  I recall reading a couple of articles about it in medical journals when I researched it a while back and its interesting now that Boris Johnson has come out and said the vaccines don't protect against transmission so its probably only a matter of time - but thats pure conjecture on my part.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/what-unrefereed-preprint

So are you saying vaccines are useless then?

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

Out of interest are the unvaccinated they are comparing to people who have already had / tested positive for covid or not , there seems to be lots of talk around natural immunity from having it lasting longer , though person experience is quite hard to work out as in the main the  people I know who have tested positive after being double jabbed have also tested positive before as well

I don't know tbh, only read the briefing paper and a couple of related articles.

Re. natural immunity there is a lot of talk about it being better and longer lasting than vaccines - of course you have to 'risk' getting covid in the first place...

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Well are you saying that?

I'm more interested in how you made the leap from quoting a study that shows the waning effects of the vaccine against transmission and recommending boosters to me saying the vaccines are useless.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm more interested in how you made the leap from quoting a study that shows the waning effects of the vaccine against transmission and recommending boosters to me saying the vaccines are useless.

So you won’t answer the simple question, what a surprise. Again then, so are you saying covid vaccines are useless?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So you won’t answer the simple question, what a surprise. Again then, so are you saying covid vaccines are useless?

I'll give you a little challenge... Go back through my posts and see if any of the below are true;

1.  I have ever said the vaccines are useless

2.  I have said the vaccines are a no brainer for the over 50s and vulnerable

3.  I support the booster program.

I'll give you a clue, 2 of those are true.  I've got better things to do this evening so I'll give you the answers in the morning!

Have fun ? 

Just now, maxjam said:

I'll give you a little challenge... Go back through my posts and see if any of the below are true;

1.  I have ever said the vaccines are useless

2.  I have said the vaccines are a no brainer for the over 50s and vulnerable

3.  I support the booster program.

I'll give you a clue, 2 of those are true.  I've got better things to do this evening so I'll give you the answers in the morning!

Have fun ? 

So can’t answer a straightforward question then. ??

1 minute ago, Archied said:

Jeez it’s like that funny clip of the old boy football fan that s giving it the ,,,you want some ,,you want some ,,,

why do people drink too much??‍♂️

Lol. Didn’t say I drunk that much. You’re really in need of some support aren’t you.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

I don't know tbh, only read the briefing paper and a couple of related articles.

Re. natural immunity there is a lot of talk about it being better and longer lasting than vaccines - of course you have to 'risk' getting covid in the first place...

Pleaded with my 21 year old daughter to go to the walk in centre at Derby Arena last May to get vaccinated she went for night out in Notts Instead with her mates ended up with covid 3 days in bed feeling awful even now not got her taste back.

Now regrets not getting vaccinated. 

14 hours ago, maxjam said:

Re. natural immunity there is a lot of talk about it being better and longer lasting than vaccines

I guess it's difficult to reach any firm conclusions on that, given that we have 9m people who have tested positive for Covid, and nearly 50m double-jabbed. Plus a subset who are in both groups now. I'm not even sure how you'd test it accurately

I also read a study (which I typically can't find now) that said the testing of antibodies was flawed in that, even though the levels of antibodies waned over time, the immune reaction upon infection was still much stronger in those who had been vaccinated (than those that weren't). Suggesting there was some sort of retained immune memory that wasn't being measured by simply the presence of antibodies

I suppose my point is that you have to be careful with the "talk" you mention, as it's largely amplified by the anti-vax community who really want it to be true in order to validate their beliefs

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I guess it's difficult to reach any firm conclusions on that, given that we have 9m people who have tested positive for Covid, and nearly 50m double-jabbed. Plus a subset who are in both groups now. I'm not even sure how you'd test it accurately

I also read a study (which I typically can't find now) that said the testing of antibodies was flawed in that, even though the levels of antibodies waned over time, the immune reaction upon infection was still much stronger in those who had been vaccinated (than those that weren't). Suggesting there was some sort of retained immune memory that wasn't being measured by simply the presence of antibodies

I suppose my point is that you have to be careful with the "talk" you mention, as it's largely amplified by the anti-vax community who really want it to be true in order to validate their beliefs

I didn't give an opinion, just said there has been a lot of talk a talk about it - such as this from the WHO,

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/341241/WHO-2019-nCoV-Sci-Brief-Natural-immunity-2021.1-eng.pdf

Basically says natural immunity is strong after you've had covid but testing to see whether you've actually had covid is currently inaccurate - more study requried etc.

I read another article elsewhere earlier this week that suggested having the vaccine followed by catching covid provided the absolute best protection going forwards - which seems plausible imo.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I didn't give an opinion

I know - I never said you did ?

I think we're agreeing that it's best to keep an open mind on it at the moment, as there are a lot of studies going on in the area, and not an easy dataset to work with

Was just saying that it's a red flag to me if I see anyone aggressively pushing any conclusions in either direction just yet - not suggesting you were!