The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

This set of figures, that set of figures, this experts or non experts interpretation of them that experts non experts interpretation of them, do this ,now don’t do this ,do this or we will stop you doing that ,follow the science now , don’t follow the science now,

now I’m sure people mean well but two years in I will go with my experience of this virus and trust what I actually see and hear going on around me having worked through the whole thing as have my family,I’m going to do what I believe is best for myself and my family,

though irritating for some I won’t be rushing in to a booster jab I will watch how this pans out having taken both jabs fairly early as on balance I trusted ( just about) what we were being told, the actual experience is very mixed 

Edited by Archied

On 21/10/2021 at 11:58, TexasRam said:

F@nny magnet!  Is that how we address women in 2021? Are you with the rest of the inbetweeners at the airport?

how uncouth, I’m surprised at you to be honest. 

It's got the @ sign in it.  You can't get more up to date and acceptable than that!  ?  

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thats the problem when flicking between threads.

I still can't remember if it was Keogh or Mel Morris that was responsible for Covid reaching these shores.

I don’t think it was either my old China, but I am happy to blame them both.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Regarding the mask wearing, were we not told that transmission usually occurs after around 15 minutes in close proximity to another person?

It's always been about viral load - and this has been known pretty well from day 1.

A study was published over a year ago that indicated that the number of virus particles expelled from a single cough was 400 times as high in comparison to normal respiration, and that a mask prevented the outward transmission of almost 99% of those large droplets.

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's always been about viral load - and this has been known pretty well from day 1.

A study was published over a year ago that indicated that the number of virus particles expelled from a single cough was 400 times as high in comparison to normal respiration, and that a mask prevented the outward transmission of almost 99% of those large droplets.

So as long as you're not going to cough there isn't that much need for a mask?

Fantastic news, my financial future is secured ,, 

ive been accepted to pitch on dragons den with my sure fire invention,,it has two models , re usable and disposable, the basic model at this point is square and white but with a little imagination the sky is the limit , have applied for patent , ive called it the handkerchief,,

may even buy Derby county when the product takes off????

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Bingo ,,,, mandate masks for a cough or a sneeze ,,, job done??‍♂️

So, you're out and about in a crowd, maskless, and suddenly a sneeze hits you. Naturally, you are able to reach into your pocket, grab your mask, put it on and adjust it correctly in the 1.5 seconds you are going "Ah...ahhh...ahhhh" before the mucus explosion - yes, I can see that will work.

What I've been saying all along is that it you have any sort of cough, runny nose etc even if you don't feel ill otherwise, you should wear a mask whenever you are in close proximity to others at all times in all circumstances, just like they do in South East Asian countries. It's an argument that is decried by many on here every time. It's the way of life in Asia out of politeness.

I guess that we are just too rude and too selfish to entertain such an idea. No wonder every other country hates us.

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So, you're out and about in a crowd, maskless, and suddenly a sneeze hits you. Naturally, you are able to reach into your pocket, grab your mask, put it on and adjust it correctly in the 1.5 seconds you are going "Ah...ahhh...ahhhh" before the mucus explosion - yes, I can see that will work.

What I've been saying all along is that it you have any sort of cough, runny nose etc even if you don't feel ill otherwise, you should wear a mask whenever you are in close proximity to others at all times in all circumstances, just like they do in South East Asian countries. It's an argument that is decried by many on here every time. It's the way of life in Asia out of politeness.

I guess that we are just too rude and too selfish to entertain such an idea. No wonder every other country hates us.

Ermmm , I’ve never argued that I have a problem with people getting in the habit of wearing a mask if they are unwell and coughing and spluttering,, though the tongue in cheek handkerchief post on reflection works just as well ?‍♂️

always open to sensible debate

Edited by Archied

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Quote from where other than you?

Pfizer, from their website, suggests the effectiveness drops by less than half after 4-5 months. Boosters were always likely to be required and nobody ever said otherwise:

For people fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, effectiveness was 73% against coronavirus infection and 90% against COVID-19-related hospitalization over the 6-month follow-up.

Effectiveness against infections declined from 88% during the first month after full vaccination to 47% at 5 to 6 months.

Vaccine effectiveness against infections of the delta variant was 93% after the first month of full vaccination and declined to 53% at 4 to 5 months.

Effectiveness against non-delta coronavirus variants declined from 97% in the first month after full vaccination to 67% at 4 to 5 months

54 minutes ago, Eddie said:

To be fair the reason most other countries hate us because our biggest export is drunken louts

7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Pfizer, from their website, suggests the effectiveness drops by less than half after 4-5 months. Boosters were always likely to be required and nobody ever said otherwise:

For people fully vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine, effectiveness was 73% against coronavirus infection and 90% against COVID-19-related hospitalization over the 6-month follow-up.

Effectiveness against infections declined from 88% during the first month after full vaccination to 47% at 5 to 6 months.

Vaccine effectiveness against infections of the delta variant was 93% after the first month of full vaccination and declined to 53% at 4 to 5 months.

Effectiveness against non-delta coronavirus variants declined from 97% in the first month after full vaccination to 67% at 4 to 5 months

OK. But thats not 12 weeks. Vaccine effectiveness dropping over time is hardly surprising, else why would we need annual flu jabs? 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

OK. But thats not 12 weeks. Vaccine effectiveness dropping over time is hardly surprising, else why would we need annual flu jabs? 

13 weeks is 3 months, so effectiveness retaining at least 50% of what it started with is reasonable I'd say. Again, 50% efficiency over 4 months has a very notable influence on the R number. 

Edited by GboroRam
Maths

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

So at what stage in the decline do you think vaccine passports should be renewed 

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

13 weeks is 3 months, so effectiveness retaining at least 50% of what it started with is reasonable I'd say. Again, 50% efficiency over 4 months has a very notable influence on the R number. 

50% efficacy is fairly good for most vaccines? (Sorry losing cognitive functions as have been drinking ? )