The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I hope anyone who had a summer holiday to France ruined/cancelled realises it was all for nothing.

You should have chosen a nice holiday to Reunion Island instead. That is on the Amber list, even though the prevalent beta variant there was why France was moved to Amber plus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/29/ministers-under-fire-putting-france-england-amber-plus-list

Sadly we have given up on the the idea of any holiday at all while this madness persists, for us a holiday is booking it , looking forward to it then switching off once the cases are loaded into the taxi to the airport,, the worry once you book anything and the hoops you have to jump through even if it goes ahead are more stressful than staying at home and working , what would I give to jump on a plane and just go and lie on a beach somewhere, sail a hobbycat, sit down to nice meals out with the wife and just relax??‍♂️,,

begining to wonder if we will EVER do that again

On 28/07/2021 at 20:10, rammieib said:

Aus and NZ are screwed for 10 years with this policy making.

When they do finally release the shackles, there will be Covid in their country, so thats another 18 months they will have to push through.

No-one wants the vaccines there either. 

Literally, whilst other sectors may do OK in their economdy, their tourism is done for. It's sad really, I'd have love to have visited NZ/Australia in the next 10 years.

The biggest issue here is different levels of government in charge of different things. Unfortunately the federal government is in charge of vaccinations and have totally ducked it up. People want the vaccinations but our main orders aren’t  due into the country till September. 

Maybe we have been lucky but to date the only difference I’ve had since COVID started is 6 days of pubs being shut, didn’t lose 1 day of work. As for tourism in Qld, try getting accommodation, if you didn’t book anything 3 months in advance you have next to no chance of finding anything. Financially, our GDP actually grew last financial year. The talk is stage 2 kicking in early next year which will be when everyone has been given the opportunity of having the jab. Hopefully then we will be able to travel internationally. Tickets provisionally booked for Easter.

28 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

The biggest issue here is different levels of government in charge of different things. Unfortunately the federal government is in charge of vaccinations and have totally ducked it up. People want the vaccinations but our main orders aren’t  due into the country till September. 

Maybe we have been lucky but to date the only difference I’ve had since COVID started is 6 days of pubs being shut, didn’t lose 1 day of work. As for tourism in Qld, try getting accommodation, if you didn’t book anything 3 months in advance you have next to no chance of finding anything. Financially, our GDP actually grew last financial year. The talk is stage 2 kicking in early next year which will be when everyone has been given the opportunity of having the jab. Hopefully then we will be able to travel internationally. Tickets provisionally booked for Easter.

No no, it's a disaster, the people are up in arms. I heard it on here. What do you know? Fake news!

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I hope anyone who had a summer holiday to France ruined/cancelled realises it was all for nothing.

You should have chosen a nice holiday to Reunion Island instead. That is on the Amber list, even though the prevalent beta variant there was why France was moved to Amber plus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/29/ministers-under-fire-putting-france-england-amber-plus-list

I do find it strange that people who were telling us all that it was not safe to lift restrictions 2 weeks ago, and think it is unsafe to go in your local shop without a mask, also berate the Government for restricting international travel!

FWIW I think it is disgraceful for the Government to restrict us travelling anywhere.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

The constant constant garbage spouted by hypocrites through all this is infuriating 

Yeah I agree. 

In the grand scheme of things Piers Morgan is a nobody - but a nobody with a lot of followers.  Others such as Micheal Gove calling people that refuse the vaccine 'selfish' really should take a step back.  It's not going to persuade people to have the jab and will slowly turn people against one another.

Now I don't think for one minute we're on the way to genocide, but I've seen the following list online a lot recently and we're probably up to #6 (Australia #7!!!)  The more angry rhetoric people spout about those that haven't been jabbed, is not only going to make them dig their heels in, but will create an atmosphere in which people are just fighting over mask wearing in public...

h49unfbcm8611.jpg

39 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

I suspect the hardest part will be moving from the elimination strategy (which could be impossible in NSW anyway now, due to delta variant) to regularising international travel and the inevitability of covid growth.

Seeing some australians comments online berating people for exercising outside incase you catch / spread covid shows how worlds apart the attitude is here and there. 

How Australia failed to procure the vaccines it required does point to a lack of planning in how to exit its otherwise well executed strategy. There have been so few deaths. 

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

So France and Reunion Island - two identical countries (same size, population density, etc) being treated differently - the people making this decision really are rotten swines........

40 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

So France and Reunion Island - two identical countries (same size, population density, etc) being treated differently - the people making this decision really are rotten swines........

Not sure what you mean. France has increased restrictions because Reunion Island, and counted as part of France, had a high proportion of Beta variant. However, the UK has decided that Reunion Island itself can stay on the normal Amber list.

Interesting chat here re. accurate covid data and policy making.

Official figures now show 25% of people classed as Covid hospitalisations are being treated for other reasons.  If you add to that 56% of people catch Covid whilst in hospital and that care homes account for over 1/3 of Covid deaths, do we actually need many of the draconian measures that Politicians want to impose on us?

Skip the first 1m5s if you don't want to listen to her initial ramble...

21 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not sure what you mean. France has increased restrictions because Reunion Island, and counted as part of France, had a high proportion of Beta variant. However, the UK has decided that Reunion Island itself can stay on the normal Amber list.

So you're saying that the only reason France is being treated more harshly is because of Reunion Island? -  or are there possibly other things that are considered when the decision is being made? (such as the likely number of people travelling to/from the destination, the number of large densely populated cities, local controls, etc) - far too simplisitic to put all the blame on one island for France's woes (or more accurately, on the woes of the poor souls that might have to miss out on a holiday to France this year)....

3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

So you're saying that the only reason France is being treated more harshly is because of Reunion Island?

More likely that we're still annoyed with them for banning British beef during the mad cow thing. I know I am.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Interesting chat here re. accurate covid data and policy making.

Official figures now show 25% of people classed as Covid hospitalisations are being treated for other reasons.  If you add to that 56% of people catch Covid whilst in hospital and that care homes account for over 1/3 of Covid deaths, do we actually need many of the draconian measures that Politicians want to impose on us?

Skip the first 1m5s if you don't want to listen to her initial ramble...

It's been the case all through the pandemic that the figures being used to justify the decisions are flakey - and without accurate data, you can't make decent informed decisions. Hopefully one of the many lessons that need to learned from this will be that governments need to check where the figures originate from and what the likelihood of them being skewed by other factors are. Covid death numbers are clearly inaccurate as are covid admissions - yet the public are excpected to follow rules to protect the NHS based on the smoke and mirrors estimates predicted by the 'experts'....

10 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

So you're saying that the only reason France is being treated more harshly is because of Reunion Island? -  or are there possibly other things that are considered when the decision is being made? (such as the likely number of people travelling to/from the destination, the number of large densely populated cities, local controls, etc) - far too simplisitic to put all the blame on one island for France's woes (or more accurately, on the woes of the poor souls that might have to miss out on a holiday to France this year)....

Agreed.  @ariotofmyownRub some garlic rather than soap on your skin, and tie some onions to the front of your bike. You can easily replicate the feeling of being in France from the comfort of your own home.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Agreed.  @ariotofmyownRub some garlic rather than soap on your skin, and tie some onions to the front of your bike. You can easily replicate the feeling of being in France from the comfort of your own home.

Having spent many months working in Paris, may I respectfully suggest that you forgot the need to rub dog poo into the carpet and layer the furniture with rotten cabbage in order to get the authentic smell....

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

I suspect the hardest part will be moving from the elimination strategy (which could be impossible in NSW anyway now, due to delta variant) to regularising international travel and the inevitability of covid growth.

Seeing some australians comments online berating people for exercising outside incase you catch / spread covid shows how worlds apart the attitude is here and there. 

How Australia failed to procure the vaccines it required does point to a lack of planning in how to exit its otherwise well executed strategy. There have been so few deaths. 

Honestly mate I know a lot of people around Oz and there is no issues with exercising etc. 98% population are doing what they have to waiting for the vaccines to become widespread. The biggest issue is Murdoch press blowing the 2 % into things that aren’t there.  Murdoch must be the worst export we’ve ever put on the rest of the world.

we have a federal election due the first half of next year and I guarantee that the press coverage coming out of here will be 180deg to what they are showing at the moment. They’ve tried putting poo on the Labor states that have been responsible the last 18 months and all of a sudden the only liberal state, NSW  has come under pressure, they can’t do the same as the labor states and to save face, went easy and who would of guessed Sydney has blown out.

sorry if I’m not making much sense mate, I’m on my 6th gin at the moment.

1 minute ago, Stagtime said:

Honestly mate I know a lot of people around Oz and there is no issues with exercising etc. 98% population are doing what they have to waiting for the vaccines to become widespread. The biggest issue is Murdoch press blowing the 2 % into things that aren’t there.  Murdoch must be the worst export we’ve ever put on the rest of the world.

we have a federal election due the first half of next year and I guarantee that the press coverage coming out of here will be 180deg to what they are showing at the moment. They’ve tried putting poo on the Labor states that have been responsible the last 18 months and all of a sudden the only liberal state, NSW  has come under pressure, they can’t do the same as the labor states and to save face, went easy and who would of guessed Sydney has blown out.

sorry if I’m not making much sense mate, I’m on my 6th gin at the moment.

Is it Vaxgin?

36 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

If you read the article, it does seem like it's the main reason. 

My guess is that under pressure from the India debacle, the government had to be looking tough over variants, so quickly looked at some potentially worrying numbers in France and quickly invented Amber Plus.

They didn't realise that Reunion Island was included in the French figures, but rather than reverse their decision, they've had to stick to it to cover up their incompetence.

After the continual mess of border policies throughout Covid, this is yet another example of how hopeless we have been in this regard.