The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

I thought it was a pathetic choice of phrase. Cower implies cowardly behaviour.

Who has made him apologise? Are you suggesting he is that weak that he doesn't believe in his own apology?

Wartime warlike rhetoric from day one around this virus with Churchill comparison s has been the crass order of the day , why the surprise  and outrage when javid carries this on ??‍♂️

37 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I thought it was a pathetic choice of phrase. Cower implies cowardly behaviour.

Who has made him apologise? Are you suggesting he is that weak that he doesn't believe in his own apology?

Jusg quickly Googled it and cant see anywhere that links it to cowardice.

All seem to say things along the lines of hiding away in fear, so he really hit the nail on the head with his choice of word for me.

He probably thinks better to just apologise than let the 'opposition' turn it into another irrelevant thing to be discussing for the next 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Reporters actually doing research?  You're off your trolley ?

The really sad thing is a lot or of people take what 'reputable sources' say as fact.  When the daily covid infection numbers were trending earlier numerous people were replying with comments such as 'but the Govt are under reporting blah, blah, blah'.  What is the famous quote?  'A lie can travel around the world and back again while the truth is lacing up its boots'.

At best the story he told was a massive inflation of the facts and at worst a deliberate distortion of the data to sell bad news.  I'm sick of it.  

Does the statement that a lot of people take what 'reputable sources' say as fact, come from a reputable source and can it be taken as a fact?

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Jusg quickly Googled it and cant see anywhere that links it to cowardice.

All seem to say things along the lines of hiding away in fear, so he really hit the nail on the head with his choice of word for me.

He probably thinks better to just apologise than let the 'opposition' turn it into another irrelevant thing to be discussing for the next 2 weeks.

Such as the latest narrative about how the 'pingdemic' is causing food (and bogroll) shortages, even in Scotland - where they don't even use the NHS app. Anything to avoid the real reason of course, but of course I'm not allowed to say what that is. Anyway, Covid-19 has certainly proved to be a convenient scapegoat for the government, and has proved to be a godsend.

26 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Does the statement that a lot of people take what 'reputable sources' say as fact, come from a reputable source and can it be taken as a fact?

In a way, yes it can - the number of fact checking sites that are needed to verify the validity of statements is testament to this.

How many millions of people believed that Trump said to drink bleach for example?  Even Joe Biden said that Donald Trump said  “maybe if you drank bleach you may be okay.”  Although to be fair, he'll say pretty much anything his handlers tell him to these days assuming he can remember it long enough to regurgitate it ? 

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

In a way, yes it can - the number of fact checking sites that are needed to verify the validity of statements is testament to this.

How many millions of people believed that Trump said to drink bleach for example?  Even Joe Biden said that Donald Trump said  “maybe if you drank bleach you may be okay.”  Although to be fair, he'll say pretty much anything his handlers tell him to these days assuming he can remember it long enough to regurgitate it ? 

Actual Trump quotes...

"A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. (To Bryan) And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting, right?"

followed a moment later by...

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful."

So no, he didn't say 'drink bleach' - just 'inject disinfectant'.

10 minutes ago, maxjam said:

God don’t start the trump thing again , he’s the American Chris Martin for some ,gone but never let go?

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Such as the latest narrative about how the 'pingdemic' is causing food (and bogroll) shortages, even in Scotland - where they don't even use the NHS app. Anything to avoid the real reason of course, but of course I'm not allowed to say what that is. Anyway, Covid-19 has certainly proved to be a convenient scapegoat for the government, and has proved to be a godsend.

Yeah, because national food depots don't have major hubs in England and then those things called lorries don't take them up those road things to local depots. 

Got to love a conspiracy theory. 

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Yeah, because national food depots don't have major hubs in England and then those things called lorries don't take them up those road things to local depots. 

Got to love a conspiracy theory. 

Many foodstuffs tend to be perishable. If the UK - or more specifically England - produced as much food as we ate, then it's quite possible that we would be able to solve the logistical problems necessary to rectify local shortfalls by doing as you suggest - sticking it on lorries and moving it from depot to depot.

But we don't, and we never will - unless or until everyone is satisfied with onion and turnip soup or porridge (I understand that's something you know a little about). We import a lot of food, much of it seasonal and/or perishable, and that requires a whole raft of other problems to be overcome.

Anyway, when the 'pingdemic' is over, it will be some other excuse that's the cause of all the problems - possibly Meghan.

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Actual Trump quotes...

followed a moment later by...

So no, he didn't say 'drink bleach' - just 'inject disinfectant'.

I know what he said and the context of how he said it - we've been over it numerous times in the old Politics thread.  

Unfortunately the current President was one of the prime causes of misinformation re. the whole drinking bleach saga.

https://eu.statesman.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/07/13/fact-check-did-trump-tell-people-to-drink-bleach-to-kill-coronavirus/113754708/

But anyway, the Trump thing wasn't the point I was making - it was the need for fact checking sites to counter misinformation.

Edited by maxjam

4 hours ago, cstand said:

Maxjam come on you are better than this you have constantly been one of the best posters on here for years. Don’t go to the dark side just because you have been called names for having a different opinion. 

image.jpeg.54e0cae63a6761fb8da4284010f8173a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Calling Covid a scapegoat, I think that is very disrespectful to the thousands that have died and their families.

Hey that felt really good, I enjoyed playing that game.

50 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I know what he said and the context of how he said it - we've been over it numerous times in the old Politics thread.  

Unfortunately the current President was one of the prime causes of misinformation re. the whole drinking bleach saga.

https://eu.statesman.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/07/13/fact-check-did-trump-tell-people-to-drink-bleach-to-kill-coronavirus/113754708/

But anyway, the Trump thing wasn't the point I was making - it was the need for fact checking sites to counter misinformation.

Indeed - which is why I'm a big fan of them, and why I can't ever accept @Norman's suggestion that I am a subscriber to 'conspiracy theories'.

If 99% accept something as true because the facts and the science bear it out, Occam's Razor suggests that it is the 1% who are barking up the wrong tree. Saying that, the 1% are perfectly entitled to attempt to justify their own interpretation based upon scientific method, i.e.

1. Observe
  2. Question
  3. Form a hypothesis which answers the question
  4. Make a prediction based upon the hypothesis
  5. Test the observed results compared to the predicted results

Refinement if required, comes with multiple iterations of this very simple cycle.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

And the reputable source for this 'fact' is?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Calling Covid a scapegoat, I think that is very disrespectful to the thousands that have died and their families.

Hey that felt really good, I enjoyed playing that game.

It is precisely what the government, and the brown noses of the press, have done - blamed it for everything. Here's another game. How many people do/did you know who died from/with/of Covid? I got to 8 (ok, some were only 'casual' acquaintances)  before I deleted my LinkedIn profile because it was getting horribly morbid.

Incidentally, I could see the point that Sajid Javid was trying to make, albeit clumsily, and couldn't bring myself to join in the hate-fest. I think that he now sees himself as some kind of superman (as does Piers 'Morgan' Moron) for having survived it, whereas Boris, at least for a few weeks, was humbled by the experience.

Bloody hell, I've just cut multiple Tories some slack. Perhaps it's true that people do shuffle further to the right as they age.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

It is precisely what the government, and the brown noses of the press, have done - blamed it for everything. Here's another game. How many people do/did you know who died from/with/of Covid? I got to 8 (ok, some were only 'casual' acquaintances)  before I deleted my LinkedIn profile because it was getting horribly morbid.

Incidentally, I could see the point that Sajid Javid was trying to make, albeit clumsily, and couldn't bring myself to join in the hate-fest. I think that he now sees himself as some kind of superman (as does Piers 'Morgan' Moron) for having survived it, whereas Boris, at least for a few weeks, was humbled by the experience.

Bloody hell, I've just cut multiple Tories some slack. Perhaps it's true that people do shuffle further to the right as they age.

I don't know anyone who has died from it, dont know anyone that has got seriously ill from it, know 1 person that has been hospitalised (for one day) she is in her 50s and asthmatic.

46 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Indeed - which is why I'm a big fan of them, and why I can't ever accept @Norman's suggestion that I am a subscriber to 'conspiracy theories'.

If 99% accept something as true because the facts and the science bear it out, Occam's Razor suggests that it is the 1% who are barking up the wrong tree. Saying that, the 1% are perfectly entitled to attempt to justify their own interpretation based upon scientific method, i.e.

1. Observe
  2. Question
  3. Form a hypothesis which answers the question
  4. Make a prediction based upon the hypothesis
  5. Test the observed results compared to the predicted results

Refinement if required, comes with multiple iterations of this very simple cycle.

If we weren't living in some media controlled biased reality I'd agree but we're often heavily influenced by what we're told and quite often, even more importantly, what we're not told.

To keep things relevant at the start of the outbreak covid was regularly called chinese flu/wuhan flu etc on US TV.  Then Trump called it China flu and the TV companies then decided it was racist to call it that - cos anything Trump said or did the media had to do the complete opposite.  Trump said it came from China and anyone daring to discuss that on social media was banned.

I've been following the current hearings in America and not only is it highly likely that covid escaped from the research facility at Wuhan but the research was US funded ?

Which leads me to my problem with the social media tech giants... They restrict conversation, ban people for not have the 'correct views' and put obstacles in the way of the truth for political gain.  I also highly doubt that anyway that was rightly hypothesising that the virus leaked from the Wuhan Lab will have their account restored either.  

So whilst I agree with your argument, in the current climate what you are allowed to observe and question is very much dependant on the political viewpoint of social media.

Some of you probably won't watch this cos its GB News but he covers the following topics, most of which I agree with;

- Sajid Javid using the work cower

- That Peston tweet and the media in general

- Mask wearing

- Free speech

- Creeping State control