PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT AT THE END OF THE SEASON

plymouthram

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't you think Edmundson would do? For less I'd think. I'd prefer him.

Not sure that Rangers will let him go but perfect for us and looks like he might want to stay but what about wages. Proven that we need three good CBs

Not including U23s...

GK: Carson, Ravas, Mitchell

CB: Davies, Wisdom, Clarke, Edmundson, Mengi

LB: Malone

CM: Baningime 

W: Jozefzoon, Roberts

CF: Waghorn, Gregory

A lot set to leave but at best we have a few in the maybe pile: Wisdom, Clarke, Edmundson and Waghorn. I doubt Brighton will let us have Clarke for a 3rd season in a row though. We also need to be pushing for better than Wisdom at CB and Waghorn upfront.

Currently, that leaves us with a senior squad of just...

GK: Marshall, Roos

RB: Byrne

CB: -

LB: Buchanan, Forsyth

CM: Bird, Knight, Shinnie, Bielik

W: Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Sibley

CF: Kazim, Marriott

The sooner we get to 50 points, the sooner we can give she likes of McDonald, Ebosele, Solomon, JBrown, Watson and Stretton a good run in the side to see if they can fill the backup roles where we're currently depth for next season.

53 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wow. So when you take out the long term injured (Bielik); the unfit for action (Ibe) and the striker we chose not to recall in January even though we had one forward and he was getting no game time at his loan club (Marriott), we have 12 senior players for next season as it stands. Four of those are Academy graduates.

Depending on you degree of optimism, that list is either very scary or wildly exciting of the possibility a complete Rooney rebuild.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wow that is seriously scary. It really is a huge huge summer coming up. We need to sign half a team, you can't just keep filling the squad with academy players. We can't have another season like this.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

Wow that is seriously scary. It really is a huge huge summer coming up. We need to sign half a team, you can't just keep filling the squad with academy players. We can't have another season like this.

Next season, the fixture list won't be as congested. That means you can rely (barring serious injuries) on sticking to a fixed first 11 more often. To me, to means 2 CBs and a creative AM need to be signed for starting positions.

It also leaves RB, CB, CM and CF open for new backups. Given the expected game time for those roles (fairly little) I'd be hopeful of McDonald, Solomon, JBrown/Watson and Stretton filling those voids. Of course, we won't know if they are ready to be backups unless we play them. Get to 50 points, give them a few games (one or two at a time) to make that judgement. Loan them out to L1 next season instead if they aren't ready and recruit loans/perms to suit.

The squad next season should be:

RB: Byrne, McDonald  
LB: Buchanan, Forsyth  
CB: Wisdom, x3 new centre backs. Maybe Edmundson depending on the deal.  
CDM: Bielik, Bird, another?  
CM: Knight, Shinnie, New creative mid, Sibley  
LW: Lawrence, Ibe, Jozwiak  
RW: Waghorn, new right winger  
FW: CKR, new striker, Stretton 

Thats 6 definites, maybe 7 if you don’t trust Bird to be the main CDM until Bielik returns. I’m expecting at least 4 of those to be loans. Obviously loan signings aren’t great long term but I’m assuming that funds will still be low.

Personally I think it’s a great opportunity for Rooney to put his stamp on the squad. 

If spending big is a thing of the past for us Rams, which potential free transfers would you eye up for the summer? Here's a list of players in the league whose contract is expiring at the end of this season: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2

Maybe we could pick up the conversation with Pritchard again? Give Jamie Paterson another go? 

41 minutes ago, desirelines said:

If spending big is a thing of the past for us Rams, which potential free transfers would you eye up for the summer? Here's a list of players in the league whose contract is expiring at the end of this season: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/championship/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/GB2

Maybe we could pick up the conversation with Pritchard again? Give Jamie Paterson another go? 

Why go in for a player who didn't want to be here just 2 months ago?

Paterson isn't the type of AM we want and is it worth spending those wages on someone just to compete with Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe and Sibley?

Nick Powell, Mowatt would be high on my midfield options. I'd be tempted to get our Bradley Johnson back to offer short term cover for Bielik and add more experience to our team.

Ashley Fletcher and Diedhiou options at CF dependant on wages.

41 minutes ago, desirelines said:

It's time to start recruiting players that are actually going to improve us and are capable of taking this club back to the premier League. Pritchard and Paterson are not that

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's perverse offering Waghorn a contract extension just so we can try and reclaim a pittance of money back from any purported nominal transfer fee we may get for him. Like spending 50 quid in order to get a fiver back. 

If anything it would be to retain a swaud player during a period of mass turnover. It would also help push a few £m into the next season for P&S purposes.

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why go in for a player who didn't want to be here just 2 months ago?

Paterson isn't the type of AM we want and is it worth spending those wages on someone just to compete with Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe and Sibley?

Nick Powell, Mowatt would be high on my midfield options. I'd be tempted to get our Bradley Johnson back to offer short term cover for Bielik and add more experience to our team.

Ashley Fletcher and Diedhiou options at CF dependant on wages.

Well if Mowatt was available on a free I would be banging on the door. Better than anyone we have in midfield and would really improve us. 

This is all a bit of a worry though isn’t it, considering we will be waiting for the fake sheikh and Mel to sort it out for another 20 years.

I think the way Sheff Weds are heading should be a very strong warning for us.

Going to be a challenging close season, in theory we’ll need:

2 x CB

1 DM ( dependant on Bielik’s injury) 

1 X AM

1 x CF

1 x LW/RW

without a takeover and cash injection, Wayne may have to sacrifice a asset or two. I worry for next season if we don’t get investment 

I fear Sibley will be sold to bankroll three or four additions. Probably best for Sibley and the club really if we continue to bench him.

Bring in Edmondson/Clarke, a striker and winger and maybe extend Wisdom with the money 

Archived